Ford Puma 1.7 13000 miles 1 lady owner as good as it gets

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:wink: Just to confirm this Puma has a great new home in West Sussex.
I had only two concerns when buying,tyres and cambelt.The Puma drives like a dream,better than the one we once owned an X reg 1.7 from 20k to 70k,replaced it with a Peugeot 207cc......big mistake,never thought we would get the opportunity of owning another Puma especially with only 13k on the clock
I spoke to the garage that carried out annual services,they confirmed the cambelt was changed on 10 year service(9K !) and indeed remember the car well.(it also looks like the cam covers had been removed once)
Sadly the tyres are the originals,so I will need to get these sorted.
I was surprised to see so many Puma sceptics but can understand it until you see the service book,and sit behind the wheel.The previous owner lived in a block of flats up north in a major city,with underground parking,no on drive or road outside,so I guess it spent most of it's time parked up in an underground garage.
So it doesn't get any better than that,very very happy.
If you do the maths,I lost a lot of money on the 207cc heap of heavy tin,no way will I lose anything like that on the Puma,and we both love driving it.

Welcome to the site :cool:

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the new motor :grin:

Bit of a shocker that the cambelt was changed 5 years late but better late than never and no harm done :thumbs:

The contention in this thread was induced mainly by the person bringing it to the boards attention.

Also many thanks for posting the pre selling photos showing original paint job,only two small areas to watch out for for,if botched i can manage that.Looking to check out the waxoil treatment which it might have had,to ensure the arches stay in best condition.
Getting a bit of kit this week to make the ipod work,rather than just rip out the radio.
Other than that just need some new wheel centres,and a good polish....job done.(oh and tyres,thanks to the guy who pointed out what to look for,or i might have overlooked this)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-FORD-PUMA-1-4-16V-RED-only-12100-miles-fsh-all-mots-/252144603129?hash=item3ab4fd4ff9:g:45AAAOSw9mFWL94Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and another ! 12,000 miles but only a 1.4,but great colour.Just how many low milage potential classic Pumas are there around ?

See here

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=28816" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.
Apparently anyone who pays that sort of money wants there head looking at..............................................or just loves Pumas and also
wants there head looking at !
Guilty.

Dal said:
edinburger said:
And my last comment is since none of you lot have even said thanks for the nod ... the next time I see one that's a "prize" it won't be mentioned here by me .

Next time maybe I'll do what I was thinking of doing before and not allow you to potentially make a business profit out of ProjectPuma members, but ask you to become a "Trader". Your thread very nearly didn't appear but I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt that it may be of use to members.

If you actually read what I was offering, you would have realised I was actually offering to save money for forum members, the difference between retail and account holders commission at BCA on £1700 (the car in questions sale price ) is over £250 .
So I was saving you £150
Also I was offering a risk free strategy in so much that I would buy the car, store it for a week or so and if it turned out to be a "lemon" the forum member was under no obligation to conclude the sale.
As far as the tyres , did the new owner check the date of manufacture on the sidewall ?
this will reveal if they are original or as I suspect , replacements , same spec as the o/e fittments

edinburger said:
If you actually read what I was offering, you would have realised I was actually offering to save money for forum members, the difference between retail and account holders commission at BCA on £1700 (the car in questions sale price ) is over £250 .
So I was saving you £150
Also I was offering a risk free strategy in so much that I would buy the car, store it for a week or so and if it turned out to be a "lemon" the forum member was under no obligation to conclude the sale.
I'm sure you have the best of intentions and I appreciate that. However, I have to say that you didn't come over that well at the start of this thread and we just don't know you.

Let's face it, this 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink, I know it's not worth it but I can add my margin and pass it on to some mug ' speculation has totally ruined the British property market over the years and I, for one, will not buy into that game on cars. That car offered was just not worth £1,700 + commission.

That's not your fault, as it could have gone for far less and I appreciate you drawing it to our attention.

Hi,
I would like to post a reply, I paid £1850 for my Puma, to me it was dirt cheap for a classic car. I think that a few people on this site are cheap skates, everyone bangs on about how good the Puma is but they only want one for £9.99. I have owned many classic Minis in the past that have been in a right state that I have restored at a high cost of loads of money and time ,( I would still like to own them). Having said that it is about the car and not what it is worth. I think for what I now own is a bargain. How many of you out there buy your Puma's and spend hundreds of pounds trying to put them right, I am streets ahead with a car that has has two year old mileage in a condition that is also only the equivalent a two year old car. Having been down the road of classic Minis. I know how they have performed as classics over the past 45 years. Had I had the means and opportunity to buy the Mini equivalent of my Puma I would have gone for it. I would say buy the best and preserve. You will not be disappoint and will own a peace of iconic motoring history.
This is my view point please shoot me down.
Regards.

Bang on the money Richard, no pun intended!

Hi Richard
You only paid £1850 for that Puma, what a bargain! The only trouble is it's too nice to drive :)
Barry

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
Hi,
I would like to post a reply, I paid £1850 for my Puma, to me it was dirt cheap for a classic car.
Richard,

From the tone of your post you seem to be getting offended/defensive about a matter that has only a very slim connection with yourself.

For example, if the term '1 lady owner' transpired to be a reckless 17 year old female binge drinker and we pointed out that does not correspond with the intended mental image portrayed by that term, would we then be descended on by 100's of little old irate ladies pointing out how carefully they drive and look after their cars? I'm guessing no, because there is no connection.

Same is true with this thread. The OP very kindly not only gave us advance notice of this auction, but also offered a very reasonable service for a very reasonable fee. It was not his fault that we didn't know him from Adam.

The subject then turned to the final selling price of that vehicle, more specifically, its value rather than the price. That vehicle in that condition was not worth that money. Your vehicle in its present condition is worth already far more than you paid for it.

I'm driving a '97 Puma that has no rust at all and has now travelled 70,000 miles and I'm supposed to be impressed by a far less mileage car in far worse condition than my own? I think not.

Hi,
I am happy for the price I paid. Not because I think it is an investment. let us be realistic about car prices. What ever one chooses to buy relates to what one would wish to pay. Over the forty years I have bought and sold cars the Puma has been the best all round deal.It is Iconic, sleek , modern and has affordability
Regards,
Richard.

RICHARD MANSFIELD2 said:
Hi,
I am happy for the price I paid. Not because I think it is an investment. let us be realistic about car prices. What ever one chooses to buy relates to what one would wishes to pay. Over the forty years I have bought and sold cars the Puma has been the best all round deal.It is Iconic, sleek , modern and has affordability
Regards,
Richard.
this man has his head screwed on right and I agree with his previous post 100% on page 2 of the thread. spin it any way you want , the car was a nugget, fords have condensation corrosion in the arches , I have welded them for 20 years so don't think that your experience is somehow top trumps....
Jealousy of the lowest mileage puma outside the fomoco collection will not wash

edinburger said:
Jealousy of the lowest mileage puma outside the fomoco collection will not wash
I've been trying to cut you some slack on this thread, when few others have. But, I do have to say, you do have an unwarranted antagonistic way about you.

I've never been jealous of anyone or any thing in my life. I don't need to be. Don't forget this isn't a forum of envious 18 year old boy racers, some of us have actually picked up a bob or two along the way. ;)

... the car was a nugget
Why didn't you buy it then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back