FRP 591, FRP replica, plus turbo conversion project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be nice to see some progress, i thought youd given up lol!
This is the reason i chose the duratec, its so much easier to get forged bits and uprated bits, straight off the shelf, and as theres quite a few suppliers for the stuff, its more competitvely priced. When i was focusing more on the 1.7 stuff, lightening motorsports werent about, or at least id not heard of them, and i built my whole engine for less then the cost of rods and pistons from elsewhere.

I must admit progress has been slow, but I'm getting there! originally I wanted to do a 2.3 duratec turbo, i even sat down and figured out everything i needed but at the time duratec engines were quite expensive, and for ease of instalation i decided to stick with the 1.7, ideally I would have done exactly what you did with your FRP, I guess when I eventualy finish it il sit back and think it was well worth it, at the moment it's a bit hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel lol

Dont worry mate, ive been there, under the car in the snow, and the exact spot you have to position yourself, theres either a big puddle, or water dripping down your neck :lol: But when its done, you forget all that, and enjoy handing out whoopass to other drivers!!! The 1.7 is a lot more fun then the 2.3, the long stroke makes it not feel so revvy, and even though you can extract good power from it, the 1.7 is a lot more fun! Im contemplating putting a bigger turbo on my green puma and full stand alone management and seeing how far i can take it.

At the end of the day, you can always change to a different engine if you feel youve reached the limits of the 1.7. Theres a new 2.5 variant of the duratec now, not the V6, but the same as the 2.0 and 2.3. It has the same stroke as the 2.3 (about 10mm more then the 2.0), but has a wider bore. with VCT that will be a nice engine, ive been waiting for one to pop up, might be an import jobbie!!

Thanks noob! I'm sure it will pan out pretty good, I think il have a perminant grin once its done, the build should be fun once I've got everything I need, in my head it will be like an episode of 'overhaulin' lol

d170sam said:
Hello all, sorry no updates for a while, there is progress though! ive had a bit of a 'mare getting low compression forged pistons and h-section forged rods, initialy i contacted PEC who list a 1.7 puma turbo rod and package including big end bearings for £925ish plus a reasonable £6 postage, i ordered them online made payment and sat back to wait for some tasty forged parts to turn up..... however, PEC contacted me a few days later saying there was a problem, that being that they did not have them in stock, basically they would have to make them as a custom order as they wernt in stock, ok i said, expecting to have to pay a little more to do this i asked how much, another £450 please sir, WTF! that is absolutely rediculous, a couple hundred quid i would have begrudging given but how can they justify an extra £450 on top of £925! anyway they did say if i could find two other people to order at the same time they would honour the original price, 'go F~£K yourself' was my reply, anyway after that misery i contacted Lightning Motorsport, who i should have just rung in the first place, ironicaly i have now ordered my forged low compression pistons/ rings/ H-section forged conrods/ the pistons being made by none other than Cosworth! and the Rods by PEC!!!!! hopefully they will be here in the next 6 weeks and il get up loads of tasty pics, i have also been busy with a second hand alternator, stripped it down, cleaned it, powder coated the shell bright silver, and ive just given it to a mate to rebuild, so il get some pics up soon of that too

lightning are building my turbo engine too, the one PEC built but did not finish for someone, not PEC's fault guy ran out of cash...

PEC tried to sell me that bottom end but when I asked if it had been balanced, or if it had the oil pump and if the block had been pressure tested they didn't know, so I thought it was a lot of money for getting not much more, iirc it was around £1400?

got a zetec 1.6 oil pump off ebay, i know its not a 1.7 one but a new one from ford is around £300 and i gotta make some savings! anyway here is a pic of the the new one and a old 1.7 one, the new one fits on the end of the crank, it fits the block and also the pick up pipe, so im guessing it will be fine as a replacement?!

IMG_0474.jpg

still waiting for pistons and rods, also ordered a 58mm knife edge throttle body from chris at lightning motorsport, which will turn up with my pistons/rods, i spoke to chris the other day and he said the pistons were almost finished but the rods were taking a little longer

hello all, sorry no updates for a while, got some new bits in the post:

coil pack

086.jpg

fuel pressure regulator

IMG_0609_zpsa71be6a4.jpg

lightning motorsport 58mm knife edge throttle body, also came with a throttle position sensor which was a nice little bonus :)/>

077.jpg

lightning motorsport heavy duty valve springs and machined caps/bases so suit

078.jpg

and last but by no means least a set of custon wossner low compressions pistons/rings/pins (as you can guess i was a bit excited when this little lot turned up!)

079.jpg

080.jpg

081.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

084.jpg

im still waiting for my forged rods to turn up but Chris at lightning motorsport is on the case, they should be here in the next month, thanks for reading, sam

small update this month, got a t-piece to fit my fuel pressure guage to my fuel pressure regulator, also got some magnecor leads, and some comparative photos of a standard 1.7 piston against my wossner low compression piston, i have lined up to wrist pin holes so that is why you can see a difference in deck height on the side profile picture

IMG_0602_zps9e6cbce3.jpg

IMG_0603_zps0eb5e379.jpg

IMG_0608_zps55ebc743.jpg

IMG_0604_zps98286979.jpg

IMG_0605_zpsb3925712.jpg

IMG_0606_zps25ce86de.jpg

IMG_0607_zps09dfb9bc.jpg

im still waiting for my forged rods to turn up, Chris at Lightning motorsport has said they should be here in the next few weeks

I had similar deliveries today

AT power 60mm TB (shaftless) a nice bit of kit

WP_000099_zpsb43b299c.jpg

WP_000100_zps249bc246.jpg

Back