FRP Duratec Turbo Project!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VVC MINI said:
I think you should have it open mate. You should get a gain and then you can make your exhaust quiet. Plus if you run a few silencers the back pressure will help low down power and the turbo spoiling.

If i put more silencers in it will slow turbo spooling. because thats a block on the gas exiting the turbine. Yeah it will increase torque, but will also increase EGT's.

warrenpenalver said:
the police will love you with a open screamer on a road car!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Lol, hopefully by the time the wastegate is open enough for them to hear its open, they wont be able to keep up and ill be long gone!! :lol:

yippeekiay said:
Looking good buddy.

You never said you were welding up small thin wall pipes but you've done a half decent job from what I can see - nothing that a bit of grinding won't fix anyway...lol - as it's not the easiest thing to do especially with MIG. You should look into getting a TIG welding set (your MIG welder may actually be able to have a TIG torch etc fitted :?: ), the finish you can get is much better with a bit of practice and is best suited to more intricate work.

Keep up the good work :eek:k:

Thanks mate, you can see where i started, some of the welds arent as good, but they get better as i go further along! Thats interesting about putting a TIG torch on my mig, how would i know if i can do that. I dont know much about TIG, but i think its AC rather then the mig which uses DC (unless its a no gas MIG). Mines a Snap on 160, not sure who it was made by, i know Snap on just put their name on other peoples welders!! But i can reverse polarity on it, so it might be a possibility!!

ScubaSteve said:
nice work blud

Lol, is that supposed to say "blud", or "bud"?? You've been watching too much Top Boy!!! :lol: Thanks for the good comments. With regards to the weight of the engines thing, i remembered yesterday i have 2 puma engines in my garage, and a spare duratec engine, so i'm going to borrow VVC Mini's crane scales and get a comparison of the bare engine. It will be interesting to know.

Something bouncing around my head now that you mentioned engine weights......wonder if an RX8 engine would fit a Puma as it's a tiny little thing and weighs less than 100kg undressed!!!. Might be a mega pain in the arse getting drive to the front wheels though but a 230bhp rotary Puma!!!!!!!!.....lol.

As for the TIG thingy, not sure mate, just seen someone who had a portable welder that could use stick, mig & tig so was thinking it could possibly be just a simple plug and play.

it was meant to say blud lol, i dont use it in real life only on the internet to be a twat

but the good work comment was serious

yippeekiay said:
Something bouncing around my head now that you mentioned engine weights......wonder if an RX8 engine would fit a Puma as it's a tiny little thing and weighs less than 100kg undressed!!!. Might be a mega pain in the arse getting drive to the front wheels though but a 230bhp rotary Puma!!!!!!!!.....lol.

As for the TIG thingy, not sure mate, just seen someone who had a portable welder that could use stick, mig & tig so was thinking it could possibly be just a simple plug and play.

Funily enough ive spoken to somebody about this already, a jap fanatic. Its only a 1.3 litre rotary and as you say, weighs nothing, and a lot of power. Im not sure how you would go about mapping it, or if youd have to stick with standard management, but i know they turbo charge them and get good results, but more interestingly, if it uses the standard mazda gearbox pattern, you could use the mondeo mk3 box, or even easier, the fiesta st box. Then you could keep standard shafts, but have to make a middle shaft bracket. We'll have to do some digging!

ScubaSteve said:
it was meant to say blud lol, i dont use it in real life only on the internet to be a twat

but the good work comment was serious

I bet you do really, i bet you wear 1 leg rolled up, jeans down past your arse, and a bandanna with your 'hood' colours on!! :lol:

Bloody hell Errol, I nearly thought you were gonna say a Puma gearbox would fit. That would be a laugh as I could swap engines giving me a lunatic Puma with a silky smooth engine and a sleek looking rex that I could tootle around in which returned bloody good mpg.

About time these car manufacturers started making engines like cassettes so you could swap one in a couple of minutes. Just have half a dozen hanging in your garage and depending on how you felt that day or the journey you were doing you dropped in the relevant engine to suit....lol.

I would just like to add that, while rotary engine indeed is silky smooth, it's lifetime is around 70.000 kms..... They are dying like flies and tend to be thirsty. Might be much better idea to convert an RX-8 to a conventional engine, then to go other way around with a puma....
Just my two cents

Better tell one of my fellow RX8 owners to buy a new engine ready for when his goes then as he's already well past 70k kms seeing as he's done 106k miles i.e. 171,000 kms :p

The rotary does need extra care regarding oil to prolongue the life of the apex seals I grant you that, but look after any engine and it will invariably look after you in the long term.....just my two cents ;)

yippeekiay said:
About time these car manufacturers started making engines like cassettes so you could swap one in a couple of minutes. Just have half a dozen hanging in your garage and depending on how you felt that day or the journey you were doing you dropped in the relevant engine to suit....lol.

you mean like this :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te48ucoEvFI[/youtube]

although they clearly arent changing the engine thats driving the car, i suspect will be an engine in the boot or something

Dear lord. That must have taken some practice. Don't think I'd be driving it until a few more bits were bolted up though. Still a cracking job all the same and I'm sure with a little redesigning of fittings etc that could be the norm for garages, well lets give them 30 minutes or so as you'd never get a mechanic to work that quickly....lol.

That engine change is amazing, it takes me that long to take a wheel bolt out, although I'm sure that's not a normal engine, there were no radiator hoses connected or exhaust manifold nuts.

More importantly, where did that presenter get the Christmas jumper, I got to get me one of those!!

Immagine plug and play engines, I'm sure someone will come up with them some day. I think rover k series is the closest thing, the 1.1 uses the same mounts and ECU as the 1.6, & I think 1.8, so you can literally just swap the engines over and drive away!

a lot of modern cars the whole engine assembly including rads etc is on the front end subframe which drops off with 4-10 bolts. You just unplug a couple of wiring connectors to seperate engine from car and drop it out.

technically even on mine all i need to disconnect is rad pipework, fuel pipes, exhaust downpipe and wiring connectors and i can drop the whole cossie subframe.

Problem is they dont want you to be able to do that, so they make the wiring looms different amongst other things! Pretty much any engine is just a few mounts, exhaust, drive shafts, and coolant hoses, but its the different driveshaft sizes, gearboxes, gear linkages, and mounting points that make it a a ball ache to swap them over! And thats before youve even started on wiring looms!

A prime example is the later mk5 fiesta 1.6 and the mk 1 focus 1.6. Both exactly the same engine, but nothing is the same on them. the loom is completely different, different ECU, different gearbox bell housing, one uses MAP and one uses MAF, different mounts, different gear linkage. Surely it would have been cheaper for ford to use all the same stuff??

does anybody know if any of the zetec range, from the 1.25 up to the 2.0 have the same ecu pin-out? If so, surely you could keep the loom and just swap ECU and transponder?

I've wondered the same thing, if it would just be a case of swapping over a few wires. The mondeo mk3 ECU is the same plug as the puma, & I was wondering if I might be able to use that ecu on the puma loom. The fiesta ST and focus duratec ecu's are defferent plugs.

Or even better, use the focus RS ecu on the puma loom, with maybe a few wires switching over. I don't know the pinouts for each though, so I think it's easier for me to use aftermarket, although I don't think I'll ever get it as good as an OE ecu!

Back