FRP Goes Racing

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the positive comments guys, means a lot. Will letu know how the MOT goes and maybe record a sneaky YouTube video on the way home from the test :)

Loving it so far mate :)

I have a question, was it difficult removing the rear quarter light windows for painting? Did the rubber seals need to be cut or anything?

Awesome mate, looks so badass! Lovely alloys, kick-ass bucket seats! Wish you the best luck with the "beast" and for the MOT mate! :p :p :p

Thanks guys :)

sparx, removing the side windows wasn't too bad, to begin with we just pulled them out! Them got a piece of metal behind one end and slowly worked them out. You have to be very careful obviously but you don't need cut the rubbers.

MOT at 12:15 tomorrow!

RESTELL said:
Thanks guys :)

sparx, removing the side windows wasn't too bad, to begin with we just pulled them out! Them got a piece of metal behind one end and slowly worked them out. You have to be very careful obviously but you don't need cut the rubbers.

MOT at 12:15 tomorrow!

Ok great and how about putting them back? Do you need any sort of adhesive or do they just pop in?

Hope the MOT went ok! :eek:k:

IT PASSED :) and first attempt as well, the MOT guy I use is a 20 min cross country drive away and taking the car on this route was epic! What a machine, the noise, the power, the whole experience is just overwhelming. I love it. Think my seats might be just a touch too low though as you can't see much!

Im so chuffed. Can't wait till Tuesday now so I can tax it and start using it :)

Sparx, we just used some high grade RTV to put the windows back, was pretty easy. You definately need to use an adhesive of some sort when replacing them.

Cheers

UPDATE - 07-05-12

Well its been an interesting couple of weeks. P1 passed its MOT first time last weekend, and I've driven it for 200 miles since then. I LOVE this car, its just awesome!
The noise it makes is incredible, it certainly can be a bit deafening, but its a good sound.

It feels much more powerful then my old FRP, you can now really feel when the VCT kicks in, and the whole car feels more urgent.
The new gearbox is really sweet and the Quaife is more more refined then the other ford fitted LSD, it doenst tug or torque steer as much, but the way it drags you around corners is just amazing. I honestly think its much better than the Ford unit.
So the idea was to run the car on the road for 200 miles to iron out any bugs, and I certainly found one. There was a big problem with the ABS, which was kicking in as sson as the car was driven over 35mph, even if you hadn’t touched the brakes. After lots of searching we eventually found the OSR ABS sensor pickup ring was slightly warped, probably as a result of the wheel bearing change. So this was replaced and not the ABS is perfect.

I also took the car to work and put it on a Hunter wheel aligner to sort the geometry out. This is now set perfectly and the car drives so wheel as a result. Whilst I was at work I also put the car on a set of corner scales to see how much it weighed. From looking around on the internet I struggled to see the exact weight of a standard FRP, any one know? The figure I eventually came to was 1174kg, kerb weight (ie no passengers, full tank of fuel)
Anyway, I weighed my car, and it came in at 1034kg, which im really chuffed with. It was also empty of passengers, and had the fuel tank brimmed to the top.

Here is a picture of the scale machine to prove it!
8769a24b.jpg

This shows front left as 322kg, front right as 335kg, rear left as 191.5kg, rear right as 185.5kg. and total weight 1034kg.
So, with everything in the interior removed, but the roll cage and all fitted, its still a whopping 140kg lighter then standard!

87e690bd.jpg

So, with the car suspension geometry aligned, the car weighed, and the new Yokohama Advan AD08 tyres fitted it is now finally complete!

I spent some time this weekend cleaning it. It looks just about as shiny as its possible to get it!

DSCN0907.jpg

DSCN0901.jpg

DSCN0913.jpg

GOPR0062.jpg

GOPR0055.jpg

GOPR0053.jpg

So there you have it, its finished!

On Wednesday im taking it to Snetterton for a full day on track, and at the end of may we are off to the Nurburgring for a week! Its gonna be a tough time for P1 but im fairly certain she can take it!

In other news ive brought myself a GoPro Hero 2 camcorder, so I will be filming a lot of track work and posting it on here.
Ive had a go at making my first film of P1, it’s a bit rubbish! But if your interested them feel free to have a look

http://youtu.be/fNXxgF-6gjU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all your support over the past few months, getting good feedback is always a moral booster in the tough times.
Big thanks to my dad as well, who spent many hours on this one!

Cheers
Ross

You tried the seats with a helmet on for head room?? do that before you think of adding spacers to raise them up. Im quite short at 5' 6" and with standard FRP seats I only just cleared the roof lining.

TBH its not that surprising on the weight front. The FRP seats and mounts alone are bloody heavy, and youre replacements weigh hardly anything. Plus stripping all the interior saves a lot of weight too.

Yep the LSD is fun. Ive had quaife ones in a couple of cars and it is amusing as you feel the car get to the limit of adhesion where youd expect it to understeer then the diff starts to lock up and you just keep turning.

Well here is a video from yesterdays very wet Snetterton session. For the best laps skip on a few minutes as the first lap i was trying to get some heat in the tyres.

the camera angle is a bit rubbish, its good to give you an idea of what it was like being inside the car, but not so great for seeing out the windows. plus the fact that the window was steaming up cos of the rain (and the heated screen didn't work!) means you can see much of the track. I will change this for the next time, bringing the camera forward in the car.

http://youtu.be/kkCJ8fMYrnA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All set now for the Nurburgring in two weeks

UPDATE 03-06-12 – The Nurburgring!
Hi all. Well its been a while since I last wrote on here and lot has happened. Ive been back from my week long holiday to the Nurburgring for a few days now, and im still buzzing from it! So here is a full report of the car and the place!

So, Thursday 24th May, I finally finished the longest day at work ever, time seemed to stand still for the whole day, but once 5:15 arrived I literally ran out of the door like a child finishing school for the 6 weeks holidays!

First job for that night, load the car onto the trailer.
4c13d614.jpg

Friday 25th, was an EARLY start! Up at 4am and driving to Dover for a morning ferry.
56709fe7.jpg

A fairly flawless crossing with P&O but then an absolute nightmare of traffic through Belgium meant a 9 hour trip to our hotel.
We stayed in our usual hotel, a place weve been to for the past 4 years, the good old hotel wilhelmshoehe.

http://www.hotel-wilhelmshoehe.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meeting up with the other two ‘Ring Warriors, Rob (Burfyboy)
DSCN1138.jpg
and Adam (AWX85)
DSCN1137.jpg

a few beers and off to bed, in anticipation of tomorrows track time.

Saturday 26th – Time to hit the track!
s1_1.jpg

After a short and sunny drive from the hotel to the track we arrived, brought our laps, and after I collected myself from the floor after passing out at the cost of lapping this place, got my helmet on and jumped in the car.

I had forgotten just how made this place is on a public day. It was completely packed, and even though I had driven about 30 laps of this place over the previous 3 years I felt like I was learning it for the first time all over again. I spend more time looking behind me then in front, and after about 11 minutes the first lap of the year was over and I could breath again!
Clearly I needed more practice.

This year my dad also returned to the track with me, and after his ‘eventful’ year in 2011 (see my FRP 441 thread for details!), he had some demons to face. He did very well, I was really proud of him, and the first time he drove around the corner that he became a bit over familiar with last year I could feel a sigh of relief from him, and that we were gonna be ok this year!

So Saturday was a day of driving, we did 8 laps that day, with no issues. They were not fast ones. I had a GoPro in the car of most laps, and in the evening we reviewed our progress. We were getting more confident throughout the day and out times were improving, from about 10mins 30 down to 9:45’s in the first day. I was happy.
Back to the hotel, and time for a few of these
5127656845_b9c52f405d_b.jpg

Sunday 27th – Back to the Track
This place is still rammed with people! Lots of crashes and closures, and only small opportunities to get on track before closures, and even when on track it was really hard to get a clean lap, lots of yellow flags and marshal’s. But we were getting more confident, not panicking when cars came to overtake, and managing to actually do come overtaking as well!

The worst thing was the car parking, we were forced on the fields at the back of the track, which was just full of dust. The weather was roasting (28 degrees) and the dust was unbearable. The cars soon were covered in it!
DSCN1116.jpg

DSCN1131.jpg

DSCN1118.jpg

but we had time for some lunch in our amazing back up vehicle!

DSCN1134.jpg

That day we managed 10 more laps, my dad did 2 and I did 8. My times were hovering about the 9min 30s which was ok considering the conditions.

Back to the hotel

DSCN1155.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

Monday 28th – The last day on track!

This was the day I wanted that one clear lap, when everything could come together, I could flow through the 12 mile madness with full commitment, to hold the throttle flat through the blind corners with complete confidence and have no hold ups!

The traffic on track was lighter, lots of people had gone home the day before, and there were less closures.

We were doing well, I went out a couple of times without a passenger, and had two ‘ok’ laps, both suffered with yellow flags, but I was now setting 9 min 10s and 9 min 12s. Things were looking up!

My dad had his final couple of laps, and managed his target of a sub 10 minute lap. Again he did so well and was happy with his performance.

So, the time came, it was my last lap of the trip, and the last lap for the next couple of years (getting married next year means no ring trip!)
This was my last chance. My fastest ever lap of the ring was in 2010 in my old Focus ST 260, which was a 9 minute 2 seconds.

Could a little Puma, with only about 165bhp do a lap on a public day of the nurburgring, in less then 9 minutes?

Well have a look here to find out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYk5mY2xdU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep that’s right, my last lap of this trip was 8 minutes, 55 seconds! I was so happy. It was a pretty faultless lap, but there was traffic (scope for a few more seconds off the time?!) but I loved it.

IMG_5472.jpg

26thmay419ZF-9293-53159-1-001-1.jpg

I know it should not be encouraged to time your laps at the nurburgring. Im not encouraging it here, and it’s a personal choice if you want to do that. I was not ‘live timing’ my laps, I just had a GoPro attached to the car and watched them back in the evenings to see how I did and what the times were. If you time your laps, be careful, don’t drive beyond your limits to chase those last few seconds.

So, we went home, with huge smiles. Back to the hotel

Tuesday 29th – A Day Off!

After the hangover, we went for a drive about the area, and first headed to the town of Nurburg, to see the castle.

DSCN1184.jpg

DSCN1186.jpg

DSCN1162.jpg

The castle was closed!

So we went to try and find the out ‘south loop’. The Nurburgring used to be a 17 mile long track, with a large southloop. This part of the track was decommissioned and closed in 1927. Some of it is the new GP circuit, some is now the normal roads around the track, and some of it is just left to return to nature.

We had a look on google earth, and found what we thought might be a bit of track. So we drove off to try and find it.

And we did. Here are some pics of the old south track as it stands today.

DSCN1172.jpg

DSCN1175.jpg

DSCN1180.jpg

DSCN1174.jpg

it was really cool walking on the old forgotten track. Some sections were so steep, its amazing anything from the 1920’s could even drive up them!

We also went for a long walk along the main track and stopped at various places. Some of my pics:

DSCN1215.jpg

DSCN1211.jpg

DSCN1207.jpg

DSCN1202.jpg

DSCN1199.jpg

DSCN1197.jpg

So, after a good day, it was back to the hotel.

and on the next day we had a 11 hour drive home ☹

what an awesome trip, and an awesome car. All the efforts of the last 8 months have been worth it. The car was perfect, it performed amazingly well and im so happy with it.

Thanks for reading.

Ross

02-09-12 – UPDATE

Hi All! As it’s been ages since I last wrote anything on here I thought id just do a quick update on what ive been upto with the Racing Puma.

Since the Nurburgring trip the car has been cleaned and stored in my dads workshop where it stayed for a while, but has been out for a couple of notable things.

Firstly, ive been featured by Performance Ford Magazine, which was exciting! After a few chats with the guys there I managed to arrange for them to come to my workplace to take some photos and have an interview.

The full feature is meant to be out this coming Thursday (6th September) so I wont spoil it, but here are a few ‘behind the scenes’ pics! (can u guess where we are?!)

FAD86865-DE12-42C7-8CDF-076CB5F2C603-2295-0000018DC1E595C1.jpg

D2CBAA1F-3FCE-4124-ABF0-8CA44144F387-2295-0000018DC87653B8.jpg

FCA121A7-8AD4-427F-B363-34BF605C7484-2295-0000018DD1D8979C.jpg

Im really looking forward to reading the magazine to see how the car looks! The guys from the magazine were really nice, and I was even lucky enough to have exclusive use of the track so I could give them a few full chat demo laps of how the car handles, it was awesome!

The other main thing ive done is my first taste of genuine motorsport.
I competed in the Lotus Hethel Sprint, which was basically a series of timed laps, against a whole range of other more exotic machinery, such as old Lotus F1 cars, Ferrari’s, TVR’s, various single seaters and a range of hot hatches.

My class had a couple of Clio Cup race cars, a Lotus Elan, 106 Rallye, and a few other things. I eventually came second in class, to a new generation Clio race car, so I was pretty happy with that. Here are a few pics of the car on track

IMG_9784.jpg

IMG_9777.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

So that’s about all for now.

I do have a trackday booked at Cadwell Park in October, so will do a full report on that with some Go-Pro videos to match.

Thanks for reading.

Oh, and look out for me in this month Performance Ford Magazine, available in all good service stations!

Ross

Looking awesome. Like. The videos too!
Will. Look out for this in Performance Ford. Well done on the feature mate. :cool:

UPDATE - 23-09-12

Morning all!

Well its been an interesting month for me and P1, we had out 15 minutes of fame by having a feature published in this months Performance Ford magazine. I was really pleased with how it came out. It is always a little embarrassing this sort of thing, but what the heck, im proud of it!

Here are some pictures from the photographer which were not used in the magazine, there are some really nice ones in there:

_72E5994_zps51ad0ddf.jpg

_72E5992_zps4f40fe0c.jpg

_72E5883_zps990b3708.jpg

_72E5876_zpse6e6465d.jpg

_72E5794_zps954f62a3.jpg

_72E5755_zpse07108be.jpg

_72E5748_zps865bf385.jpg

_72E5921_zpsce8ad8bd.jpg

_72E5825_zpsfeb78492.jpg

_72E5762_zps34416df5.jpg

it was a cool day meeting the PF guys, and I was lucky enough to be able to blag the Lotus test track for the photoshoot which was a nice perk of the job!

P1 is tucked up in the workshop once again, but will be coming out again in October for a trackday at Cadwell Park, I cant wait!

There will be some GoPro videos coming from the day.

As for the next steps, well im looking at some Poly windows to replace the glass, and by removing the window mechanisms I should save a decent bit of weight in the process.

All in all im still really happy with the car, it’s a great little toy.

Cheers for reading

Ross

UPDATE – 26-10-12

Hi everyone.

Its been a little while since I wrote a proper update so here is the latest on P1.
The Performance Ford article was published, and although this sort of thing is always a little embarrassing I was really pleased with how it came out.

For those who didn’t see it here is a copy.
9366e3cdf78ee87fa3ae4de410c51f69.jpg

3977f22a61b58dab8dddd687d8ac193a.jpg

5ce8e82340edeebd734b1b8201c6b313.jpg

46fbd36dbda2ce845258628c7790d432.jpg

e74a3b9bb6821652ee269281e56ea09b.jpg

bba5365d0b97d2077632ae937194a076.jpg

070629cf854b1c137f7bdd325c427f30.jpg

59499db1965f74344aef62952be34ac6.jpg

Im happy with it, and it’s a nice thing to add to the history file of P1.

Since the photoshoot the car has been out on track again. This weekend just gone I took it to Cadwell Park and had a fantastic day. The car was perfect and the track was amazing, its almost like the car was built for this circuit, with its elevation and camber changes its easy to understand why people call it a mini nurburgring.

Anyhow, here are some pics from the day

516a9c51ae7a81ce785cad7d275b116d.jpg

fd5821b33bd50d73f57c6825ca6bcbf3.jpg

9ab46f0100d5b4140d12ebdfb09f1466.jpg

And obviously here is the obligatory video of a couple of laps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA9F4WqOtsU&feature=share&list=UUanZDI5u0VttXxG7KhruE8w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a great day, met some nice people and generally really enjoyed myself.

But that’s the last outing of the year for P1. Its now back in the workshop for the winter. Over the next few months im going to replace the glass with polycarbonate windows, cut out all the old brackets, door skins, window mechanisms, and get the car as light as possible.

So that’s all for now, thanks for reading.
Ross

Mate, that looks spot on! :eek:k:

You must be really chuffed to have had the feature. It's a great thing to be able to keep to show the car off and you've also got a great set of photos from the day. They're awesome!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress with the poly windows, as that's something I'm interested in as well. Let us know which ones you go for if you buy a pre-made kit.

Thanks for sharing!

Nice to see a racing puma regularly being used where they belong - on the track, rather than being buftied and locked in a garage 99% of the time.

You wont save much wieght on the quarter windows unless you ditch the rubber surround strip. Fine for a race car but can look a little rough on anything else.

The rear quarter windows wiegh 1kg each so not huge scope for saving wieght really when you consider the cost.

Was this car in Performance Ford the other month, I spotted on with similar seats and they are pretty distinctive?

Back