FRP NO. 294

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reeso-Puma

Found this on auto trader this afternoon seams very cheap and is a cat d with is always abit dodgy.
and also says recaro seats when we all know they clearly aren’t.

What do you guys think?
Was very tempted to ring and ask if they can do finance casue i could'nt afford to buy it out right.

James

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201118386479278/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-from/3000/price-to/4000/model/puma/make/ford/page/1/postcode/sa29hp/radius/1500/quicksearch/true?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry forgot the link!

There have been some good deals out there recently, I only paid £3900 for mine and that is HPI clear mind you I have spend over £2k since sorting it out, have a look at Jays thread he bought a CAT C or D and is now pulling it apart to put it back together properly !!

Simon

Reeso-Puma said:
and also says recaro seats when we all know they clearly aren’t.
They're Sparco, it's not a million miles off to be fair! :p

Body work doesn't look bad in the pictures.

Main thing to check out is the brakes, see if you can have a close up look at the calipers, discs and pads.
If the Alcon's haven't been maintained or if the discs are close to the end of their left you can expect a hefty bill at the next service. :twisted:

EDIT: lol scrap that, it's practically at the opposite end of the country to you so that might not be possible.
Ask them for hi-res photos before you consider it any further.

You can't say it's dodgy because it's been insurance categorised. A few have been written off and repaired very well.

In any case you should treat it as any other car, run check, test drive or video of test drive, friend to test drive etc.

Check the receipts, any history, cambelt change, brake condition etc.

The price is probably what I'd expect for a categorised car when you look at some of the others for sale at the moment.

Actually I remember this car. It was written off in May last year with slight front end damage. The chap bought it and repaired it and has replace a few parts.

I think it was for sale last september and again in March this year by the same owner but no one bought it. The last time I saw it for sale the owner got said he'd accept £3k looks like it's ended up at a garage.

He's a member on here but never posted and is also on RPOC.

I agree - having a cat d car myself (might be a cat c but it just says substantially repaired/accident damaged on the V5) I have no complaints whatsoever. Probably 85% or more of the parts I've replaced on it have been through choice rather than need.

Rightly or wrongly some people stay clear of them no matter what when a good looking at and test drive would probably clear up many concerns. It's your choice at the end of the day ;)

I only paid £1400 for my standard 1.7 all of 2½ years ago now and it turned out to be the best money I've spent on a car for a very long time. :eek:k:

Guys,

Not nescessarily saying recorded cars are bad, but when you can get a decent unrecorded car for similar money, that would be my choice, also there are good and bad repaired cars and I would rather see FRPs staying on the road than being scrapped.

Simon

Insurance registered. I.e. written off in the past after a theft / fire or other damage.

The ABI Categories of 'Write-Off'

Category A: Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.

Category B: The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.

Category C: Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. The vehicle should have an independent inspection before being allowed back onto the road.

Category D: Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair.

Category F: Vehicle damaged by fire and insurer has decided not to repair.

link

Quote from what car:
Group D usually means that the vehicle has suffered light damage but whether the insurance company will repair it or not is dependent on the cost of the repairs and the value of the vehicle.

Until the vehicle has been inspected there is no guarantee that it has not suffered chassis damage. Your best option is to invest in a full mechanical inspection at an approved dealership, or by RAC Inspections.

@Yip no they don't get categorised if it's just say a minor repair to a wing.

For instance a woman scuffed the side of my FRP tearing the splash guard off of the rear bumper.

The splash guard was replaced and the bumper was resprayed.

That's the end of the story :-D

Back