FTO seats

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigglebug

Good morning all

I've just been reading with interest about fitting FTO seats in the Puma (ref topic below) and there happens to be one being broke near to where I live. The thought of a lower driving position and a bit more support along with a relatively cheap and easy swap is appealing. Would anyone know if there is likely to be a problem with the pretensioner's working properly or throwing up any warning lights? I will contact Loony who's thread it is but as he hasn't been active for a couple of years I'm not hopeful of a reply from him. Mine is a 2001 car if it would make any difference?

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=241898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

As long as you have a mounting point and connect the connector there shouldn't be a problem and they should still work as long as they have a bit of ground clearance

Thanks for the reply

Do you think I would be correct in guessing that I will probably have to remove the seat belt pretensioners from my existing seats and attach them to the FTO seats to get them to work within the Puma without causing any problems? I can't imagine that I will be able to just plug the FTO seat straight into the Puma's circuit, can you?

I think you have to switch them over but if the FTO seats come with them you should try that and report back if it works or not always handy for someone else!

No worries, I will do. If it turns out to be just a case of drilling a couple of holes in the FTO runners to line up with the existing holes in the Puma floor pan then merely swapping the seats over it'll be a pretty decent cheap alternative to having an aftermarket seat fitted. I don't dislike the standard seats but I'm yet to get 100% comfortable in it as the one position I've found so far that doesn't make my back ache is quite high so I do feel as if I'm sitting on it as oppose to sitting in it. They really could do with better lumbar support for me. If the FTO seats offer a genuine 2-3 inch drop in seat height whilst giving more adjustment to get comfy it could a real winner!

Yeah I had the same with the standard seats, Couldn't get comfortable and had back ache after 30 minutes of driving. I went for a new seat(Sparco R100) and made a custom frame, Now I'm comfortable and sitting low :)

Funnily enough I've also considered doing the same as I'm only prepared to go with the FTO seats if I can get mint one's. They appear (now I've done a bit more research) to have a bad rep for the foam deteriorating badly so I don't want to start with one's that are knackered already. Been looking on GSM Performance Sports Seats in the uk, they've got a decent range by the looks of it - R100 included. It just a bit hard for someone with no knowledge on the subject like me to work out exactly what you would need to buy along with the seat to make it work and how much added cost there will be to actually get the job finished if there is to be a lot of fitting required, hence looking into the FTO seat route which is bound to be a lot cheaper. Did you make the custom frame yourself, how difficult was it if you did? I can't get my head around what would be required to make sure that the pretentioners etc were still present and work as they should, I can imagine it adding up to hefty bill if I get someone to do it for me. I've thought of having a fixed back seat fitted just to the drivers side, I've only one kid so don't need regular access to the rear seat behind me (not that anyone would fit anyway!) I would still need some sort of runner mechanism to pass an MOT in the UK and of course for the electrical bits and bob's to still function. No getting away with warning lights on now-a-days (unless you know someone friendly enough to pass you with them!!)

Latest posts

Back