Gear linkage problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-DIY

Hey guys
I just want to let you know about a problem I have discovered on my Puma. A problem that many Puma's may have.
At the end of the shifting rod, there is a "universal joint" just before it is mounted on the gear box. That joint is breaking in 2 pieces.
Damn I just tried to put in some pictures but they are too big, that will have to wait for now.
The reason why I state that many if not all Puma's got this problem is that I went to a scrap yard to get the complete gear linkage, but that was also about to break. Then they said that they had more Puma's so no problem. But next day I got a telephone call from them and ALL of them was damaged/breaking. So if I was you, I would get down under and check it out.
I will try and see what I can do about the pics to get them in here....
I still bought a complete gear linkage that I will try make.

I've handled loads of these things.
That one your showing is one of the rustiest I've seen!
It looks like the rusting pin has burst the nylon joint.
With you saying the scrapper found this to be common is odd too.
Do you by any chance live on the coast?

Yeah I see what you mean. Maybe I got a bit carried a way. We live with some rugh weather here in winter time and the government loves to throw tons of salt on the roads. Problems you probably don't have.
Chris how much is it for that linkage pole ??

Hi Martin
We get quite a lot of salt on the roads here as well. I'll try and remember to have a look on that one off my scrapper, which is quite an old one (the car) and see if that's showing any rot. It looks like you might have your first English purchase when you come over here now.
Barry

tuonokid said:
[post]360244[/post] Hi Martin
We get quite a lot of salt on the roads here as well. I'll try and remember to have a look on that one off my scrapper, which is quite an old one (the car) and see if that's showing any rot. It looks like you might have your first English purchase when you come over here now.
Barry

Well if you got the salt too then I will still recommend you to check it out :lol:
Im not sure I want to wait until I get over to you. It can get a little bit to exciting if it breaks on the way

Hi Martin
I had a look at the linkage off my scrap car today and it looks ok although it's a little tight in movement so I just gave it a spray of WD40 and put it back in the garage.
Barry

MS-DIY said:
[post]360243[/post] Yeah I see what you mean. Maybe I got a bit carried a way. We live with some rugh weather here in winter time and the government loves to throw tons of salt on the roads. Problems you probably don't have.
Chris how much is it for that linkage pole ??

Around £90 give or take a fiver

well, it is kind of..

CItVT1.jpg

A lot of parts are expensive now for the Puma..it's all down to supply and demand for that part :cool:

I think it's nice you can still get them TBH :idea:

I take it they are available over the counter at Ford Chris? or can you get them from other suppliers?

Ah, the famous Danish Puma gear linkage problem, eh? A known problem with that model. I suppose you've already tried the usual smearing with bacon fat fix?

Cibbie said:
[post]360355[/post] I take it they are available over the counter at Ford Chris? or can you get them from other suppliers?

Doubt you'd source one from europarts. .

I can email you the part number if you remind me. .just email me through my contact page on my website

Chris

Coolio... My brakes are due for some more magic time with you this year so probably makes sense to have a look at the old gear linkage then! :cool:

Frank said:
[post]360360[/post] Ah, the famous Danish Puma gear linkage problem, eh? A known problem with that model. I suppose you've already tried the usual smearing with bacon fat fix?

Well it looks like it from over here.
Damn no, are you crazy Frank? I eat the bacon :lol:

Back