Gearknob Refurb service

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thread revival alert!

I need my knob polishing :-( Is Steve still knocking about?

Sorry to hijack but i have been mirror polishing gearknobs for a while and selling them on ebay, i can offer a gearknob polishing service but its quite labour intensive, if you send me your own gearknobs i can do them for £20 a time, the finished result will look exactly like this

Private message me if you would like one

If he's not I have the means to do them. I have one ready to go at home, it's not the best condition as it was very deeply scratched, but it's shiny shiny.

Yet another hijack I know but I'm just offering.

So I bought a 2nd Gearknob which is in great nick but I'm going to polish the other one. While playing with my knob i very quickly got some scratches out a bit of autosol and it was shiny however is this thing anodised if it is I need to strip that first? I plan to polish the racing puma plenum as well. Any advice on paper grades I polished A Granada Cosworth Plenum once I need to work on it again but it looked amazing shiny was kind of a theme on that car.

Had a go at this myself. I didn't realise but the standard item is either anodized or painted. I think there's 2 reasons for that, 1) reduce reflections in the cockpit, 2) ensure it doesn't tarnish with hand grease/sweat etc (ugh).

Anyway I went into this thinking a quick bit of autosol polish would fix it, but eventually I was using a Sisal mop with polish soap stuff. Some of the paint/anodizing wouldn't shift so I used 400 grit, 800 grit then 1200 grit then the polish.

Came up nice in the end, worth a couple of hours in garage.

Attachments

• IMG_20190307_152037.jpg
    IMG_20190307_152037.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 3,594
Back