Gmax suspension kit, would you recommend it?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracingspirals

I'm considering lowering my suspension and I don't want to spend mad money on it neither would I be taking the Puma on any race tracks so just something basic and good. No coilovers or expensive stuff like that.

I wanted to know how would you rate the Gmax suspension kit, these ones:
http://pumabuild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_68_174&products_id=946
(at £215 its cheaper than the OEM suspension from my local Ford dealer)...
and the Eibach lowering springs.

Both seem to lower the car by 30mm. I wouldn't want a bone pulverising ride but still something responsive and sharp.
Which ones would you recommend I should go for.

Thanks.

I've got this on my car, and it is a very good budget suspension kit.

It does lower the car, but other people have commented that mine doesn't look lowered. I didn't want to go any lower than 30mm though as I didn't want any scrubbing problems and at the time I sometimes had passengers in the back.

It does reduce the roll slightly, and I feel that it is better than standard - you certainly don't feel the car 'lift' as much when at high speeds so it feels a lot more stable.

The only downside is that it is a little bit crashy. Not the best around town, but get it out in the country and it comes into it's own.

Oh, and one of my rear dampers failed (leaking) after 10 months/8000 miles. Not good for a kit that's got a 3 year/30k miles guarantee. But I had no quibbles in getting a replacement from GMAX, and it's been fine since.

Not long after fitting mine though, I went out in a Puma with £800 coilovers. On the road, you'd struggle to find any noticeable differences.

HTH :eek:k:

Interesting! I have been toying with the idea of GMax suspension too but didn't get much of a response, hopefully you will be more lucky! I still haven't decided!

You can get 4 Ford shocks for £150 on ebay and the GMax full kit for £208 (cheapest I have seen) so it isn't much more (if you don't need springs as well).

Btw that link doesn't seem to work for me.

The Gmax kit looks really good value for shocks + springs for £215.
I need to get new shocks (as the old ones are shot) and so I was thinking of getting new springs along as well.

4 Ford shocks for £150 doesn't sound too bad.
My local Ford dealer is charging me around €100 per shock!

£150 for Ford shocks + Eibach springs for another £120ish pounds would be around £270 for the EIbach kit which I herd is more forgiving on bad roads.

Still the Gmax kit sounds more tempting at such a price. I'm just worried if cheap = crap...

And fixed link...

Yep it's the same kit I was after but from another site.

It seems like such a big decision! The Eibach kit seems to be generally more well thought of but my boyfriend had GMax lowering springs on his Puma and they ride just right (which is obviously just my opinion), but he had standard shocks and I am not sure if the GMax shocks will be too hard.

yippeekiay said:
Go for it Vix...and buy a cushion just in case ;)

Getting mine fitted tomorrow so might need to take a few cushions along myself...lol
Cool.

It'll be great if you could report back on how the Gmax suspension has changed the ride. Handling and comfort wise...

Are you getting the full kit with the shocks + springs or just the springs?
I herd the Gmax shocks aren't great and are quite hard.

Now I don't mind a hard ride (actually I like it a bit stiff as you get a bit more feedback from the road which is always nice), but I wouldn't like a spine crushing ride either...

One good thing about the Eibach springs is that if you want to go back to the stock set up (for maybe insurance purposes or selling the car) you could always replace the springs with the stock springs and the car will be stock again without the need of changing the dampers...
Though the Eibach set up would come in considerably more expensive than the Gmax set up.

I could also just get new stock shocks now and then later think about changing the springs to Eibach in the future too... Hmm... decisions!!!! :? :? :?
Hmm...

Anyone know where I can get Ford OE shocks? The ones on ebay don't look OE...
My local dealers are wayy too expensive (€100 per shock!! :shock:)

Yips getting coilovers (Yellow ones though Grrrr) Weitic like i have.

The ride is hard and crashy i find- but the handleing is awesome (I also have polybushed rear and wishbones as well.

Suspension is really personal what some find hard others will love

Luckily my bushes are bog standard which should help. I'll be dropping the car down a certain amount tomorrow and then seeing what they're like on the way back from Nottingham then I'll adjust them if necessary. Gonna take the 'shotest route' on my Tomtom which will hopefully take me down some back roads. Then again I could always click 'avoid motorways' for a very long return trip...lol

Hi,

Anyone else got the gmax suspension kit? Or should I get new oe shocks and eibach?? Will be power flexing all bushes to

Latest posts

Back