Eibach lowering springs or G-Max suspension kit

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobydrew

Hi all,

I'm after some advice please. I want to lower my car but don't want to loose the ride quality too much. 30mm should suffice but am wondering which would be best - either the eiback lowering springs with standard dampers or the G Max suspension kit. Both are close in price at around £200.

I appreciate that full coilovers might be the best option but budget is limited to a few hundred.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

I found the GMax dampers to be very hard compared to the standard. With the full GMax setup it will be much crashier than the Eibachs on standard but will be better for spirited driving. It depends on what you want.

Thanks for the feedback - eibachs it is then.

Now just to try and fit them... where was that hammer :grin:

scoobydrew said:
Thanks for the feedback - eibachs it is then.

Now just to try and fit them... where was that hammer :grin:

Hi all,

Would anyone know where to find the EIBACH SPRINGS (E3581-140)?

I am desperately looking for them.

Cheers

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/lowering-springs/car/ford/puma/2001/1-7-16v/eibach-pro-kit-lowering-spring-kit-lowers-front-30mm-and-lowers-rear-30mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://eibach.suspensiondirect.co.uk/Ford-Puma_EC-1.7.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.larkspeed.com/shopper/i/42E3581140/Ford-Puma-1-4-1-6-1-7-Eibach-Pro-Kit-Lowering-Springs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.venommotorsport.com/product/suspension/SU12274/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Puma2001 said:
Anymore opinion on this?? I can't decide between gmax or eibach

I've got Eibach's on mine with normal Ford dampers and for me it's them perfect mix of lowered and ride quality. Looks good too!

a lot people lower cars and make the suspension really hard which is great for a smooth race track however uk roads typically have have bumps, pot holes, drain covers and varying surfaces on this sort of typical surface the eibach have an initial amount of compliance to cope with this where as i expect the gmax will just skip and bounce over this type of surface. Also consider traction can be reduced if the springs are too stiff.

In my (road/rally) experience the standard puma set up is a good set up / compromise if you are into b lane driving, have you considered new standard shocks, springs, bottom arms and rear bushes? you could get these new from ebay cheap or there is a set of kyb's with springs on for £100.00 at the moment.

Ultimately, it's a suck it and see scenario. I personally did not get on with the Eibachs as the car spent much of its time crashing into it's bump stops on the roads around here. The traction was not great either as soon as you threw in a few bumps to a junction or bend. Add to the mix the fact that the spare is difficult to remove due to the clearance and getting a jack underneath was a bother and it wasn't for me.

However....

It depends on other factors as well. The shocks, top mounts and probably pretty crucially, the tyres you have will also have an impact on ride quality. I ran mine with Falken 912s which have a very hard side-wall and probably contribute to the harshness I found.

Until you stick them on your car, you won't know if you like them or not.

Do look good though!

XAF said:
[post]344945[/post]
Puma2001 said:
Anymore opinion on this?? I can't decide between gmax or eibach

I've got Eibach's on mine with normal Ford dampers and for me it's them perfect mix of lowered and ride quality. Looks good too!

Hi, sorry for my ignorance, I just bought Eibach springs (it took me 7 months to find them) and I also want to mount them on OEM Ford dampers but: What make are the original Ford dampers??? Are they Ford?

Also would you know what make of Bushings and top mounts to buy?

Thanks

gingerdave said:
[post]344947[/post] For a road car why change something that works so well.It only let's itself down on fast downhill twisty mountain roads where u/steer is quite bad.But ain't got many of them round here :lol:

At the moment I'm driving my Pumita in stock spec and I must say it understeers nothing. I've driven a Renault Megane RS, lovely, but it understeered just as much. I would find it difficult to find a FWD car that understeers less than our Pumitas.

Besides, if they understeered too much (which, again, I think they don't) you wouldn't necessarily achieve much changing the suspensions settings only or the ride height. If anything softer and not harder front suspension would improve front grip. Then you could change camber, offset, anti-roll bars, add front wheel spacers, put grippier front tyres and less grippy at the back. But I think a different, slightly harder suspension may make the car more agile, more responsive, with a lower, less predictable grip edge, if you like that.

The Arch Bishop said:
[post]344809[/post] Good god! £220?! I paid less than half that a few years back! No wonder they sold easily when I shifted them on!

I paid EUR 145 but they were the very last set in stock in the whole of Germany. I had tried many in the UK as well but they were undeliverable. Now I want some normal Ford dampers (as far as I know Ford themselves offered the car with Eibach springs and Ford dampers) and I guess bushings and top mounts but I don't know what brand

The Arch Bishop said:
[post]344951[/post] Ultimately, it's a suck it and see scenario. I personally did not get on with the Eibachs as the car spent much of its time crashing into it's bump stops on the roads around here. The traction was not great either as soon as you threw in a few bumps to a junction or bend. Add to the mix the fact that the spare is difficult to remove due to the clearance and getting a jack underneath was a bother and it wasn't for me.

However....

It depends on other factors as well. The shocks, top mounts and probably pretty crucially, the tyres you have will also have an impact on ride quality. I ran mine with Falken 912s which have a very hard side-wall and probably contribute to the harshness I found.

Until you stick them on your car, you won't know if you like them or not.

Do look good though!

Hi,
So you removed the Eibachs again if I understand well, did they drive that bad? Strange because this is what they say about it:
"This is an authorised Ford lowering kit that will not affect the vehicles warranty"
Were the bumps on a bad road very noticeable with them on your puma?

I also find it strange that on the whole site here, there is not a single word about H&R springs, which is a decent brand. They go -30 all round and I think they are of equal quality as Eibachs. They feel great on good roads, but over poor roads they can become quite harsch, especially on the back. I am just wondering if this was the same case with your eibach springs on? (after all, it's just a name.)

Ultimately they are horses for courses. I didn't like them as the car kept hitting the bump-stops and would scrabble for traction on anything other than billiard-table-smooth roads - of which we have precisely zero of in Sussex.

Nah, just didn't like them at all - the original set up is pretty close to perfect for everyday use so I went back to that.

Back