Guy reversed into me!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steve18 said:
That's not even for a new door, just the skin.
Feee......ee...cckk!

Lord B said:
steve18 said:
Update - looks like it hasn't been written off and will be going in for repairs for the all new and improved price £1,270!
No Cat C and hope the paint is a good match.

Bonkers price for a new door and wing mirror, I'd take the money and run to ebay, buy puma for few hundred (similar colour), swap doors, paint door sell ebay puma after mucho scavenging
profit ... nurburgring... etc..

:-D
FTFY

I think the insurance company is trying to rip you off. Fix it yourself with a matching door from a breakers in the right colour and then tell them you do it yourself and this will save you nearly £1300.

How are they ripping him off? That's just the cost of repairs that the insurance are paying! And that's a pretty good price considering the price of bodyshop labour

Agree it's a mad price but I'm not getting ripped off (if guys insurance co. admit liability) and I don't have to spend weeks running around after another Puma/door. Just want the car back to how it was so I can have fun in it again!

So what happened? Did you get if fixed?

If someone else is paying for it, I see no problem. The only problem there is with Pumas is that the other insurance company might decide that the car is only worth £1,000 and the repair is £1,500, therefore they’ll declare it a cat. D write-off and just give you the £1,000 (Sometimes they let you keep the car, sometimes not – you have to buy it back.)

If you have a friendly body-shop, you might be able to not go through this bother by have them source, fit and spray a good second-hand door. You might even want to source and collect your own door but tell them to charge for your time and expenses as if they had done it.

I see this as legit because the other party needs to put you in the same position as you were before the accident and not cause you any costs. But claiming for your own time and expenses is not always straightforward.

The alternative to this is that you do charge for your time and expenses: I think 45p/mile for running your own car + the price of the door is the way to work it out. However, then you have to include those costs on the final bill. So you end up submitting the body-shop bill and your own bill to the third party’s insurance via your own insurance co.

Update - repairs have been done and a good paint job. Only hassle is the window is slow and sticks wide open! Also twists in the frame when the when the switch is pressed. Been back to the garage once for this already so another visit next week! Overall pretty pleased with it.

pumarepaired2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back