Handbrake stuck on!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob987_0

I lowered the car last night after being on axel stands for three months, started the engine first time, went to reverse, and the handbrake is stuck on. I realised that I had left the handbrake on all along, so I'm guessing it's seized.

If tapping the drums with a hammer doesn't sort it, what should I do?

wel, if hutting the drums whit a hammer fails, then it stands to reason that it is so coroded, that it would need replacing... check the wiers to, they may have seized to

Cartman said:
wel, if hutting the drums whit a hammer fails, then it stands to reason that it is so coroded, that it would need replacing... check the wiers to, they may have seized to

Do you mean the whole drum would need replacing?

rob987_0 said:
Cartman said:

Do you mean the whole drum would need replacing?

I was thinking mainly of the internals, but I have seen drums corode to the point of needing replacement.

but you may be able to fix it whit just cleaning it. you realy can't tel untill you get the drums off

So, the handbrake is stuck on....
Hitting the drum with a hammer wont free them off....

So, could someone explain how the OP is supposed to remove the drums when, they are stuck to the shoes, and the shoes are attached to the car.....

Wel, if they're realy stcuk on there, and hammering doesn't work. The shoes are not that wel fastend to the car. If you undo the bearing, and put a puller on the drum, the pins that hold the shoes should fail fairly easely...

Well I had to give the drum a good hit with the hammer and the wheel is spinning now, although I can still hear it rubbing whilst driving, and it's louder when braking. Hopefully that will sort itself out and stop.

Latest posts

Back