HCV (heater cooler valve) Broken: Options to replace & fit?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darragh

Hi everyone,

First time posting and recently new owner of a 1.4 puma. Had the car a couple of months and it's being going great- until now. :-( Was returning home for the weekend friday two weeks ago (heading onto the M50 motorway in Dublin) when I noticed steam coming from out of the bonnet. Needless to say I pulled the car in by the side of the road as soon as it was safe to do so and to my horror found the temperature guage was up at max! Anyway to cut a long story short it turned out that one of the pipes on the HCV unit (heater cooler valve) had broken off- resulting in all engine coolant leaking out of the system. This pipe was the right side pipe and is now lodged firmly in the pipe running back into the engine..

I've since had mechanics looking at the car, mainly to verify the engine wasn't screwed; had been driving for a while (10 mins) without coolant. They also temporarily by-passed the HCV meaning the car can be driven to a garage but obviously it's not a long term solution as there is no heater now in-car and the fix might easily give way at any time. I'm all good on the engine (luckily nothing seems to be damaged) so just the HCV issue to fix now...

So I asked the same garage who did the engine checks etc. to price the cost of a new HCV and pipes, labour etc. to fix the issue properly. They came back at me with a price of ~€270-300 for the parts themselves plus €170 labour; they said the job was pretty labour intesive as it involved removing the dashboard to fit the car.

Now this is a pretty steep price from what initially seemed like such a simple problem, a broken pipe. Sure enough new parts have to be bought and thats fine, theres also labour for which I was expecting at least €100. But almost €300 for the part itself? This doesn't seem right to me. Maybe I'm wrong and this is the normal going rate, so I'd like your thoughts on this one. They were intending on ordering the part direct from ford and new, so maybe this is the reason why.

This is the part I need to get replaced (thanks to the original poster, very helpful):

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2432&hilit=coolant+pipe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are pictures of the problem also. Apologies for the quality, these were taken on a phone:

puma1.jpg

puma2.jpg

I'd also like to get new pipes running to and from the engine as both are not likely to be in good health given that the HCV
pipe failed itself.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Am I being taken for a ride here or is this the normal rate? Have
I any other options perhaps for sourcing this part? Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Darragh.

It does sound to me like your garage is trying it on and assuming you're not going to have the foresight to check out their prices.

Changing an HCV is definitely a DIY job, but I'm not sure about the pipes. That'd take a better mechanic than I to answer.

zarablackcoupe said:
HCV is a half hour job! if that...

So it's not just me who thinks this price is completely off the wall? :) I mean I'm pretty new to cars (this is my first that I own) and that but that price just seemed nuts.

I'm almost half thinking of getting one on ebay now at this stage...

I bought a new HCV from Ford themselves for about £35 a month or so ago... it took about 20 mins to replace (ie: putting the new one in where the by-pass had been since the original one failed).

That garage is having a flippin' laugh!!

Sounds like you're being taken for a ride by that garage.

It looks as though the HCV pipe has broken off the body of the HCV and remained in the pipe (as in the second picture) Unclip the clip from around the broken off bit of HCV and get the broken bit out the pipe. Remove the other 3 pipes from the HCV (2 on the engine side, 2 on the other side) replace the HCV and replace the pipes with clips.

As Zara and expatscot have said, 10 minute job. Just get a Ford HCV to be sure of reliability with the correct part number as shown in that other post you linked to.

expatscot said:
I bought a new HCV from Ford themselves for about £35 a month or so ago... it took about 20 mins to replace (ie: putting the new one in where the by-pass had been since the original one failed).

That garage is having a flippin' laugh!!

Nice one! Thanks for the info. I think maybe it might be worth hearing this straight from the horses mouth in that case- Ford. Does anyone know what the part number for this component is by any chance? Might save some messing around on the phone.

Dal said:
It looks as though the HCV pipe has broken off the body of the HCV and remained in the pipe (as in the second picture) Unclip the clip from around the broken off bit of HCV and get the broken bit out the pipe. Remove the other 3 pipes from the HCV (2 on the engine side, 2 on the other side) replace the HCV and replace the pipes with clips.

That's exactly what's after happening, you are right. I'm not sure what you mean by 'replacing the pipes with clips' however? Do you just mean I should reuse the old pipes and clip them back on as they were before?

What are your thoughts on the pipes BTW? Do you think it is overkill or indeed sensible to get these replaced also?

Thanks everyone, this has been extremely helpful so far!

No need to replace the pipe in my opinion. The clips I refer to are the little metal clips that hold the pipes onto the HCV. I replaced Cherie's Millies with metal hose clips for a better fit although if the standard ones (see below) still have plenty of spring in them, you'll probably be ok.

Just above the L and R in this picture:

[albumimg]124[/albumimg]

Relevant part numbers shown towards bottom of this thread.....

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4942&p=63494&hilit=had+to+happen+hcv#p63494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow... Can't believe I've got so many helpful posts in such a short space of time. Thanks guys! Hats off to everyone! :grin:

I think I'll go ahead and get the part direct off ford themselves, and then take it from there.
I'll be sure to let you know it goes.

Thanks again,
Darragh.

Thats cos its very common for the HCV to fail lol

When I changed Stacey's failed one, the pipe just fell to bits on it, as I removed it!

Watch those spring clips, have a very strong tension in them!

spike. said:
Thats cos its very common for the HCV to fail lol

When I changed Stacey's failed one, the pipe just fell to bits on it, as I removed it!

Watch those spring clips, have a very strong tension in them!

Yeah maybe so; hope this is the last time it happens. :)

I'm going to spread the word also about that garage- what a crowd of chancers! The more I think about this the more it annoys me. I'm looking forward to tearing them a new one on the phone tomorow :lol: .. This is the bunch of tossers in case anyones interested. They're based in Dublin:

http://carservicing.ie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Avoid.

Good luck with getting it sorted mate....

We'r all here to help and to prevent the bum raping of garages :D
Hope its fixed soon :)

Wayhey!! All is finally well in the world; problem's now sorted. Ordered the part for €50 to my door from http://www.fordsparts.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and got a friend of mine to fit it as little nixer. I'm so happy now to have the car back I could do cartwheels across the floor. :grin:

Thanks again guys.

darragh said:
Wayhey!! All is finally well in the world; problem's now sorted. Ordered the part for €50 to my door from http://www.fordsparts.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and got a friend of mine to fit it as little nixer. I'm so happy now to have the car back I could do cartwheels across the floor. :grin:

Thanks again guys.

shame that website dont list the puma !!!

I use fordpartsuk.com

Back