Help-! Fuel pump dead??

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustardmit

Hi,
Two days ago my engine stopped in traffic after a journey of about 20 miles.
Fuel was low but there was still a reasonable amount in there but just to be sure, I shot a gallon into the tank.
I checked all the spark plugs/leads for contamination and everything seemed ok.
Also the black plastic cover over the cam-belt has a taped up but convenient crack in it so I was able to take a peep through it, and it's ok.
The recovery guy had a look under the bonnet and unplugged and checked each of the fuel pipes, with the engine turning over on the key - no fuel came out.
Since I've got it home I've checked the following:
Fuel pump fuse (OK) loom (OK) fuel pump relay (it clicks so presumably OK) fuel cutoff switch (in/OK) BUT, I can't hear any sound from the fuel pump when key turned.
So, does it sound like the fuel pump has died or could a blocked filter stop it from operating/making a noise? I noticed that the fuel pump is expensive -cheapest £100 at ECP :-0
I need the car urgently for work.

If you can hear the fuel pump buzzing when the ignition is switched on then it's had it and you need a new one

Ok, I thought it was the other way round - I hear nothing when the ignition is turned other than a couple of faint clicks from the relay in the fuse box.

Oh soddit! They're expensive and the car is stranded on the road outside, I'll have to do it there.
Now clinging onto hope that there is some water/corrosion and it's fixable in situ.

If the pump doesn't prime at all that would normally mean its failed, blocked filter wouldn't normally become apparent that quickly.

I've got them £35 delivered and can go out tomorrow but there are a few different types, need to take a VIN number.

Hi Ian. Thanks for that info, bugger - the car is out on the road and immobile and my driveway is too steep to get the car up there, I'll have to do it in the road.
Is there any way the fuel pump can be accessed without dropping the tank?

Nope needs the tank out, 2 off 13mm bolts on the front, 2 on the rear.

Take the tank filler and breather pipes off first, electrical connection to the pump as soon as it drops as that's the shortest thing and will snag first, then drop it a bit more and take the red and white supply and return lines off, noting which connector they came from.

There's also a vent which you may be able to leave in depending whether it un-clips from the floorpan.

I've been told by an AA bloke that my fuel pump is also on its way out. To tide me over he put a 15 amp fuse in the fuse box thing (the third hole up?!) and the car hasn't conked out since so maybe a temporary fix?

I've got a new fuel pump off of eBay for £30 and plan on making it the boys' job at the weekend.

Have you had any start up issues in the past couple of months?
I say this as I broke down and it was the fuel pump BUT it was also an 'intermittent earthing' problem with it too.

Ian G.
I just thought I'd mention that I finally had the fuel pump installed that you kindly sent - I had a financial crisis so had to hold off for a while and use the company van to get around!
Anyway, it's in and everything is now running nicely - a great big THANK YOU for supplying the part, I'm much obliged.

Back