Help with speedlines

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny h

Hi can anyone advise me on the following?

I have just bought 4 x 17" speedlines off fleabay

They were advertised as ET35, I asked the seller to confirm that they were ET35; however when they arrived tonight 2 are ET35 and 2 are ET28.

I have seen that ET35 for a standard puma is ideal. However can I still use the ET28s or are they clearly wrong?

The car will be lowered eventually with rally tarmac shocks.

What effect would it have to fit them?

Could I use them on the rears?

Stick the ET28s on the back and as long as you don't have the axle spacers on you should be ok. The lower ET number denotes they will have more offset on them than the ET35s. They will put a slightly larger load on the wheel bearings than the ET35s but I would say you have nothing to worry about. The other good thing is that if they are 7 x 17s the ET35s would place the tyres close to the spring seats on the rear whereas the ET28s won't.
Barry

Thanks Barry

So would ET28 actually be better on the rear than ET35?

I have 2 spare ET35s so I could make up a set of 4 if that is the best option.

And they are 17 x 7s

Ta

Try them both theres nothing wrong with it, just what you prefer, but I prefer to widen the track (ET28) on the rear, it looks better. Technically its not a big deal with just 7mm difference. The standard puma looks kind of pinched in at the rear anyway so its probably a good thing if you care about how it looks.

If you compare the original 6" rim width for ET35 with a 7" ET28, the inner wheel rim to the strut housing will have 6mm less clearance, whilst the outer wheel rim will be 20mm further out.

True YOG but I was just going on what the 7 x 17 ET35s were like on mine on the back and there was only about 6mm clearance between the tyres and the rear spring seats with 205/40 tyres on. The ET28s will just give more clearance.
For Johnny h. Mine has now got the ET35s along with 10mm axle extensions and ST170 rear discs and hubs which are wider and still there is no clearance issues with the outer wheel arches (looks a lot nicer, though :) )
Barry

Back