hi, help pos oil leak!!!!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrrhood

Hi, I'm a new puma owner, just had since monday and got some probs already,
oil on drive, had a look under the bonnet and the workings (sorry hairdresser, not mechanic!)
under the battery seem to have a fair bit of oil on them, garage said that they
had just fitted a new gear box and wondered if that could have
anything to do with it?
tremer on steering wheel when hit 60ish, hope this is just balance and tracking? do you
agree

these are my main probs at the mo, would be very greatfull of any help you could offer, no doubt will be plenty more help needed in the future, thanks

Hiya, welcome aboard :thumbs: Well there goes the theory Puma's arent hairdressers cars lol

Its probably a leaking rocker gasket a common issue thats your problem a proper Ford one is recommended they are about £30 plus someone to fit it.Theres a how to guide on here that tells you how,I just did mine using it.

You would be best having a good all round look though as their are other possibilities such as a power steering fluid leak, or a water leak, or a brake fluid leak.

Check your wheels are on tight first and that your tyres arent damaged and then try the balancing and then consider the tracking but check theres no suspension bush or suspension wear first

Good luck with it

Thanks for the quick answer, think I might take it into a garage just to let them have a once over as that is a lot of different areas, and the brake fluid sounds a bit serious!!!!!!
Will definately check the wheels are on tight though before I do anything about that,
just bought it from a garage and just passed its mot so thought it should be in working order, think I will re-name myself dumb blonde!

Dont rush into any unnecessary expense having a garage check the brakes, I just wanted you to be aware there are other possibilities beside the more obvious one.You should be able to check your brake fluid level yourself if it is leaking the fluid will lower in the reservoir.Likewise the water and power steering fluid levels.

In a perfect world a new MOT should mean its ok.

Incidentally quick fit used to do free brake safety checks, dont know if they still do.

Nope dont get into the dumb blonde thing, Pumas are great little cars but they are of a certain age so will need things doing.There is a recommended garage list here as well. so there might be one near you.

My bet is they have put the gearbox breather plug in the wrong way round and its not seated correctly. Common thing to do. Just pull it out and turn it round and push down hard

could have buckled wheel? usually go on inside of rim.

agree with above on leak, had the same problem on mine, garages don't seem to know which way to fit them

ScubaSteve said:
My bet is they have put the gearbox breather plug in the wrong way round and its not seated correctly. Common thing to do. Just pull it out and turn it round and push down hard
Not enough info Steve from you this time :lol:
It may not be on wrong and saying this may make the OP put it on the wrong way round causing more leaks.

I believe there is an arrow on top of this breather plug and it should be pointing towards the front of the car. If it isn't THEN you can remove it and turn it round ;)

wow, thanks for all the help you guys are amazing,
update
spoke to the bloke I bought it from and cos its a distance he agreed to let me take it to a garage near me, GOT A RECOMENDED ONE!
he checked it all out,
whoever said a buckled wheel got it bang on, not a bad buckle so he is going to swap it with a back one which are ok! (Can't get over how much a new alloy is, got the value of the whole car almost in 3 alloys!!!!!)
He cleaned off the engine(not spray cleaned it!!!! even a hairdresser knows electrics and water don't mix on an older car) and told me to run it over the weekend, just had a look and the oil is back, it looks to be comming from a nut/bolt thingy on the top of the gear box just under and to the left of the battery, is this what you guys are saying might be on the wrong way round? if so I'll be such a happy bunny!!! :lol:
Other bits need doing, nothing major that he can see, usual suspension springs, brake discs eventually,
Just hope it is just a bit on the wrong way round then I can make a start on the rust!!!!!!
If all goes well tomorrow will let you know and get some picks on when I start the rust job.
Oh and just to prove hairdressers are not completely useless, boot lock was sticking, a good squirt of WD40 and a little wigle and its as good as new, job 1 down 50 or so to go!!!!
Thanks again
p.s. I LOVE MY AIRCON!!!!! WORKS SO WELL!!!!!!!

Thanks steve, just been out with a tourch and looks like thats me culprit! can't see an arrow but got it booked back in tomorrow so will have a word with mick and get him to check it out,
oh happy bunny!!!!!
Thanks again will keep updating

Learning fast.

update, project OKK in full gear

boot lock fixed (WD40 and a little wiggel!!!)
oil leak fixed( Thanks for the advice everyone, so glad you lot know what your doing)
wheels swaped overparcel shelf (seen advice on here, thanks again)
2 new tyres
o/s/f shock absorber
dee rust
rear axle bushes

replacement alloy( wish list item!)

ok so obviously you all know a lot more about cars than I do about cars or computers!!!! :oops:

I leave my mistakes on show so I can learn from them in the future

never felt the need for "plausable deniability",,,,,,,,,,,,, great film by the way!

Back