How much fuel can you shove into a Puma?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*This happened on Monday Night*

Went out for a drive, still had a full tank!
5450496594_3ec8a71ffb_b.jpg

Then, had to overtake a gritter lorry, so keeping at the speed, I hung back in the outside lane to let the car infront go past, dropped into 4th and when the clutch stopped slipping and booted it past the gritter, with wipers on full to avoid getting yet another chunk taken out of my windscreen :evil:

This had an impact on the fuel situation...

5449896569_10398625bc_b.jpg

Carried on my journey, did another 45 miles of M4 to Langley, then back again, just cruising at 70-80.

Got 3/4 tank now, it drops when it starts :cry:

I reckon the FRP was on for about 110 miles for a tank yesterday. Not on the public highways, obviously!

yippeekiay said:
I'd go with 40 as a very safe bet. I frequently go to 50 before I fill up with no concern. I've had well over 85 but wouldn't advise trying it as most times you'll run out first....lol.

Same. 62 is my absolute limit. But it depends on your driving style. Granny it as soon as the light comes on and I reckon 60, keep noncing it along at 80 and poss 45-50? (1.7 from experience)

I'd agree with about 42 for safety!

Johnny English said:
...I only drive in urban areas so 35liters for about 200miles. In highways i can squezze about 300miles at 75.

I hate seeing the fuel warning light so i won't drive more than 10miles with it.

I always go to fill the tank very soon after "low fuel" light lits up. I usually manage to pour in about 31 liters and trip meter says then about 320 km ( 200 miles). I guess this is normal fuel consumption as I also drive mostly in urban areas...?

I tried to find out what is the capacity of Ford Puma´s fuel tank using google and found at least three different answers: 36, 40 and 45 liters. I don´t understand how someone is able to put over 40 liters fuel in a Puma tank. Does this mean those people have a jerry can in the trunk just in case if fuel runs out completely? I personally wouldn't like to take a walk in the dark to nearest petrol station with just an empty cola bottle in hand.

The owners handbook states the tank is 40 litres, but if you add the amount of fuel in the rest of the system, and the neck of the tank, it's feasible that you could get 45 litres in.

48 litres!!!!. Mine didn't take anywhere near that from bone dry to spilling out the top. Either you have a larger tank or I'd be staying clear of that garage as the pumps are well faulty!!

Hoping you have the larger tank Rick ;)

EDIT:- Concerned about you being ripped off I had to check my records. Now I'm confused as maybe the little Puma does indeed take that much. When I ran mine dry I did just over 503 miles on the tank. I then put in 5 litres that I was carrying as I was intending to run it dry, at 516 miles I then filled it up to the brim and it took 45.27 litres - as a rough estimate I probably used say roughly 1.27 litres for the extra 13 miles which means I probably had to put in 49 litres had I filled it up where I ran out.

This amazes me as I only just realised it....lol.

Think another eco run may be on the cards to check....lol.

EDIT No.2:- Nope I was wrong, it was 45.27 altogether for the 516 miles as my receipt shows 40.27 and I added the 5 litres to give me the correct mpg. So 48 is indeed very high :?

Should be correct, I've had 46+ litres and 47+ litres at two other garages after I'd done less miles from the "light".

I've never managed to put in any more than 37 litres which now costs me £50 on average! but i've never had any more than 235 miles ever where as the miss's takes the same fuel and does 320! and thats me driving with a feather light right foot! it hurts heavy footed i'm lucky to get 200 miles alothough thats driven from full till the light comes on!

SPARTAN196 said:
wrayvon said:
beko1987 said:
I don't have that engine warning light on mine, the top left yellow light.
From memory I have ABS and traction control light on that side and that is all. :S

Its a digital dash also.

Whats the warning light below the 140 mark?

IIRC It's the airbag light. Only made it light up once so can't fully remember though.

Back