Idler pulley extortion, is it possible to buy a bearing and rebuild?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2k

Morning all. My water pump has packed up and so needs to be changed. While dismantling, i noticed that an idler pulley was also in a poor state. Ford and Euro want £40 for this little thing which is outrageous. The wheel itself is ok, but the bearing is toast. Does anyone have any experience of pressing new bearings into these things?

"Does anyone have any experience of pressing new bearings into these things?" No not tried but with regard to purchasing a replacement,have you searched for the Gates replacement? it was approx £30, 4 years ago & as it is better than the original because they improved it and iirc the pulley is now metal instead of plastic.

Here's the pulley for £17.43 delivered, that's a very good price!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gates-Bel...318673&hash=item48928637cb:g:z40AAOSwknJX1bdX

Slightly cheaper here:
http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/drive-belt-idler-pulley/gates-t36175_g312_a033T36175.html
£10.60 + £4.95 standard delivery).
There's also a 10% promo code until Tuesday - MISTER10

Probably a bit late but I've replaced just the bearing only. Don't see the point in buying something new to replace something that can be serviced/repaired at home.

Cherryvimto
How much was the bearing on it's own for the idler pulley and do you have a part reference number to assist others in the future?

I have no idea what it cost as I got it through a company account.

I do however have a spare as I got 2. When I go over to my garage next I will try to find and get some details off of it. We should be able to source one and a cost from that.

OK peeps, I've not been able to find the spare bearing but I've found the pulley that I replaced the bearing on.

The bearing I've used is an 'NSK 6203'.

It is basically a '62032RS' with the '2RS' meaning it's covered with rubber seals.
It is a total of 40mm in diameter, 12mm width and has a 17mm diameter center hole.

As long as the dimensions are correct and it's got the dust seals on the sides it should do the job.

I personally would recommend NSK or FAG bearings not cheapo unbranded stuff.

Prices I've found range from about £2.50 upwards.

34833452134_cfa72e9eac_b.jpg

35634746606_63897b95f1_b.jpg

Dismantle in to pieces as you can see above. Knock old bearing out with a socket or something similar, clean mating faces and knock new bearing in.

It takes longer to get the retaining clip off the bolt than it does to actually change the bearing!

Thank you for posting this very useful information.
I wonder whether this should be either moved or copied across to the "How to guide"?

I will do a mini 'How to' guide and put it in the relevant forum section if you think it'll be worth while....

EDIT: DONE!

Belated thanks for that. I needed the thing back on the road ASAP, so i bit the bullet and paid my £40 to ford in the end. Thing cane with a generic Chinese bearing as well :x

Back