jackos fiddling, again

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

...i have a few techy queries & announcements but mostly frp related....

wishbones; had a look & soddin lower ball joints are not removeable!!!! any ideas? other than buying / making frp lower arms, drilling the ball joint off & making them removeable....
anybody got a spare wishbone? one for sale or exchange???
i aint paying for a whole wishbone at frp prices when a ball joint is only £10 (to me!)

steering rack; mines leaking so ordered a 2nd hand 1.7 rack, will rebuild the frp one to put back in but will copy the reducer; will be available to buy sometime this summer to convert any 1.7 rack to frp spec
are they hard to remove from car? anyone know if track rods are longer? if yes i will make some stainless steel ones.

have made a grp air duct for passenger lower vent in frp bumper with outlet same size as frp inbox so can make to order; £30 posted. already on my car & nice to get air straight into the filter.....not going to say it adds power as itl cause an argument! if i figure out how to add pics il put some up but prefer one to one pm's rather than baring my backside for public stoning from mainly people with no technical knowledge; been there & learnt the hard way. those who know there onions are free to comment

AP Racing clutch has been ordered; keeping fingers crossed. not telling on the specs til i can trust people. if you know your cars you wont argue about AP clutches. iv snapped engine mounts before damaging an ap road clutch!

currently rebuilding my spare alcons; without snapping any bolts :p but then i do have access to proper tools! will be making some new bridge pipes by making stainless steel fittings and forming my own replacement aluminium pipes; will be available to most people at a price cheaper than alcon. Idea is that this will form the 'last link' as it is the only part that still corrodes on a properly built set of alcons. notice i said 'properly' built; just about everyone i know still isnt doing it right & the calipers will be scrap in less than 10 years......

if anyone has stuck alcon bolts i can fix them via the postal service as long as you havent snapped them; depends who you are tho!

will be sending mine off somewhere soon to get them made fully corrosion proof forever and made blue!

will soon be rebuilding my spare frp gearbox internals into a fresh casing for a friend so if anyone happens to want bog standard 1.7 set of internals for a car or making into a display piece shout up

will be building a v6 coffee table ala the puma one on pp; shout if your interested; £350

also finishing a glass / titanium chess board with stainless and old / new engine parts for the pieces in shiny metal and black lacquer opposing sides; price is negotiable at present as its just me fiddling & not really to my usual standard; still gorgeous tho!

quite possibly going to end up making stainless steel lower ball joint retaining bolts; ford ones are cr*p, always rust solid & always destroy the thread; let me know if you want some but wont be cheap (for a bolt!) prob £10 a pair & most likely allen key not torx

may well have a go at making a full oem replica tailgate from grp this summer with polycarb window; save 60% weight and will never rust; can only see me making one every year or 2 tho & 2nd one is already sold.....!

if anyone wants anything 'frp' making then please let me know & i will see what i can do....

iv had one already that i am pondering; a replica fuel cap in carbon altho grp will be easier.....dont really have the facilities but there will be a way round it i can find im sure...

lightweight, adjustable and rose jointed wishbones are on the cards but i cant weld ali.....yet!

I love your attitude towards your car Jacko! If it's fixed, make another one! If you want any of your post seperating out and made a sticky in the FRP section or "For Sale" sections, then just let me know.

There are a couple of decent FRP owners about these parts - I'm sure they'll be along soon to ask questions.

If you want a hand with putting pictures up, either give me a shout on here (possibly in chat so I can take you through it) or just email me them to [email protected] and I'll upload them into the gallery for you.

Belated congrats on your engagement btw :eek:k:

cheers, and cheers. trying to turn over a new leaf; less talking more doing! so i will be about from time to time with stuff if it can be useful to others

now wheres this 'chat' thingy....!? im going searching...

I always enjoy reading your escapades with your puma, there's very few people who can say they know as much about the internal workings as you do. :eek:k:

Chat's in 3 places: One of the tabs at the top, at the bottom of the main index page where the people in chat are listed, and a link in my signature. :D

glad your turning over a new leaf jacko!

ps im the guy that has the helicoil in his bleed screw! :pose2:

Awesome read Jacko :D

Nice to have some lengthy posts to have a look through :)

Sounds as though you will be very busy for a while!!

I wish you'd take more care with your thread titles...

I thought this was a post about Michael Jackson

:shock:

XIIVVX said:
I wish you'd take more care with your thread titles...

I thought this was a post about Michael Jackson

:shock:

:)

Jacko your a hero. Can you tell me more about the frp inbox thing?

thought id best update this.....

frp wishbones....theres now a guide on how to fix them for a tenner plus tracking; this has very slightly miffed the racing puma owners club who were willing to pay pumabuild £200 per arm.......!!!!!

steering rack; turned out to be the pipe that was rubbing...& guess who didnt put it in right....no names but it wasnt me! frp rack is no different to std puma however the track rods are....there a focus rod with a custom ball joint that is thicker & acts as the steering reducer....

so if your doing an frp replica you need focus rods and make sume washers approx 5mm thick....

frp cold air intake is finished, available to order and has been on my car throught he alps, through 12inch floods etc....it works! and makes the car a bit nippier to.....will not fit a std puma, sorry dradus

ap racing clutch didnt fit! poo! fitted a focus 1.8.....AWESOME!

got all the kit to build stainless alcon bridge pipes but havent got round to it yet...looking into having them anodized for protection.....

swapped my gearbox for one iv rebuilt with a quaife diff.....90 degree wet country lane corners are now an odyssey of 35mph, full throttle, no wheelspin and bouncing of the rev limiter......!

elvin has my old one for the red frp as his xmas pressie....

bout to go mad to sell the v6 table and chess set; there taking up room & want to make something bigger.....!

stainless steel ball joint bolts are on & solid, have a spare set if anyones interested....

grp tailgate.........when i get some time!!!!!

Do you have a spare bootlid then jacko???

You can do "wet lay" carbon if you want in a similar way to GRP moulding, but obviously it costs a lot. You can cheat and just put a layer of carbon on the outer visible layer then GRP on the inner strengthening, thats if you just want the visual aspect.

Jacko you dont have a spare puma roof do you?? :lol: Ive just bought enough GRP and CF roll to do some building but its hard to convince a scrapyard to sell me a roof with cuts on the pillars (to keep rigidity) as they just want to sell me the whole shell!!

yep spare bootlid....currently residing in a spare loft space at school!!!!!!

all yours if you need it as i havent got the space yet to play with big grp moulds. got it for £20 with a pram handle, sold pram handle for £40

will ask at my scrapyard (there pretty decent). you want the whole pillars or can i cut at the top of pillars but keep the roof frame to keep rigidity

Latest posts

Back