Jade

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right. I refuse to let this latest set back, set me back. So I thought I would have a go at sorting the parcel shelf out, following this guide ----> http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=183 <---- Cheers Dal. Seems to have gone alright. Just going to let it fully cool for an hour, sod that, might as well wait while the morning to fit and check now.

I was hoping to nip into Halfrauds earlier to pick up a few cans of Pacific Green paint to repaint the engine cover to match the car and also in readiness for sorting out the rear arches. Another job I was going to start next week, but will have to put on hold until I get her back from the garage, AGAIN!!!!

Seg

Update time:

Had the car back to the garage that did the head gasket for hgf symptoms last Saturday. Picked it back up on Tuesday night. Guy said they had solved the problem with not getting hot, they replaced the thermostat and all pipes are getting hot now. He said I should take it away, drive it the day after and see how it is. Now the funny thing is, I never had any heating issue apart from HCP not working right, won't cool down. The thermostat was new only about a month ago along with the thermo housing.

Now the original symptoms I sent it back in were still there. Having the week off work and feeling pi$$ed off, decided to have a poke about. Obviously rocker issue as discussed in the thread in the help me section was there. Went to check plugs and what was a month old set of NGK platinums was only 3 quaters complete, 1 was a shitty plug, not NGK. Went to have a look at sorting stud for holding rocker cover down and to my amazement, the end of the inlet cam shaft where the locking tool goes is broke and there is a dent in the head opposite where the spanner goes to hold the cam shaft.

This will make you laugh. Got a phone call yesterday from garage asking if everything was OK now. So I let rip about the things I'd found wrong with it. After a couple of mins of me carrying on, he said that they had to replace the thermo and it is costing me £26. I said are you having a laugh, I can get a new one for £7 and why had it been replaced when it was only a month old. He said they took it out to test and it wasn't working and the only way they could get one at that time was to buy the housing too. ROFLMFAO. The housing I said was only a month old too. I then said I will pay for that if he pays for cam shaft and head. He said he will speak to the lad I know that works there and see what he says then get back to me, (not about paying for shaft or head, but about me payingn for thermo).

Can you fecking believe that?

Now as a result of all the ongoing issues, I am taking the car off the road. The missus has got a little KA to use for work now. Going to pull the engine out, partial strip,clean up and rebuild. Give chassis and bodywork a good going over now that time is not a factor. Hopefully this time next year I will have something to be proud of. I would however love a red one.

Anyway more to come and pics too.

Seg

Just a quick one.

Renamed the thread to Jade now as from today the missus has got a 57 plate KA to get her to work. So I am officially now a Puma owner. Wahooo.

Now if you have read this thread then you will now what a bitch this cat has been so far and how she has been mis-treated. So as of the weekend she will be coming off the road and the coming months I hope to have her purring again and looking smart.

More to come.

Seg

red said:
:eek: I hope you didn't pay for that BS!

????? BS?

The KA?

Yeah. £ 900 Very, very tidy. 2 previous owners. 6 month T & T. Unfortunately its yellow and has electric nothing.lol everything is manual.

No the garage that didnt put all four of your spark plugs back in and replaced random parts?

red said:
No the garage that didnt put all four of your spark plugs back in and replaced random parts?

Sorry.

Oh I know. Cheeky barstewards. Havent heard owt from em either. This must be the first time besides MOTs that I have ever used a garage. Guess what.....flaming last too.

red said:
Doesnt sound like a bad price for the KA :)

No I didn't think so either. Our lass is already eyeing up the 9 spokes and wipers from Jade. Cheeky cow. :roll: She can do her own mods. :p lol

As long as it gets her to work and back, then I am free to get on with mine.

She says she can really tell the difference between the 1.3L engine and the 1.7 and misses the puma experience already. Our last car was a 1.8L V reg focus and had it 9 years. God that car was good to us.

***UPDATE***

So today after my hangover wore off I thought I would make a start at stripping Jade down.

Decided to pull the temp sensor housing to give the pipe connectors a good clean up as this was one of the main sources for the water leaks that I was having.

The connectors where covered in crusty crap which I had previously cleaned, but until you take it off, you can't see or get to it all.

While it was off I came across this sensor, but it never had a cable connected to it. Anyone know where it should connect to?

All the connectors still need some more cleaning with some fine sandpaper or wire wool.

The engine is gonna need a right good clean up. I think some gunk is going to be needed.

I think this oil filter has seen better days too.

I need to take off the rest of the intake manifold and give it a good clean up. New gaskets, then paint it up. I liked the look of BigAls manifold which he painted in VHT Satin Black seen here:

47c8bbf0.jpg

Here is half of mine after a little clean.

Just wondering about the throttle body. Which mondeo throttle body can I put on there?

Did a touch of spraying too.

Ok, thats it for now.

All comments, advice and constructive criticism welcome.

Seg

Ok so here is a little checklist for the engine bay:

• Clean and degrease everywhere (i don't want to see any grease anywhere under the hood)
    Remove head, clean, port & polish.
    Replace broken Cam shaft.
    New tappets
    New Timing Belt (already got, just needs fitting).
    Possibly uprated valve springs.
    Replace all gaskets.
    Tidy wiring up.
    Braided pipes where I can with coloured ends.
    New hoses (possibly coloured).
    Paint air intake manifold.
    Replace as many bolts as possible.
    New oil filter (already got).
    New fuel filter.
    New coil pack.
    New Leads.
    New spark plugs.

I think that is it for under the bonnet. I need to make a complete list for everything, but it scares the crap out of me. :grin:

Have I missed anything?

What are peoples thoughts on braided fuel lines (to the injector rail)?

Seg said:
Ok so here is a little checklist for the engine bay:

--list--

I think that is it for under the bonnet. I need to make a complete list for everything, but it scares the crap out of me. :grin:

Have I missed anything?
I don't know if you have done it lately, but it wont hurt to clean your MAF with MAF cleaner.

Hi Jii.

Thanks man. The MAF was cleaned during the time I was having loads of probs. Gonna seal it up, clean the outer body (maybe paint) then clean again before it goes back on.

Thank you

Cleaning MAF is something I would recommend to everyone! I just did it yesterday: dismantled everything and cleaned the wires with 3M carburettor cleaner first. The wires were brownish, now they are silver clean! After carburettor cleaner used brake clenaer to get rid of that film that carburettor cleaner leaves behind to lubricate movable parts. Unrelated, painted the housing, and put everything back. The car pulls better, the engine is more responsive and the idling is now rock steady at 875 rpm. The needle doesn't twitch at all, it is as steady as a rock!
Very good outcome for 30 minutes of work!

I reckon this will be one of the last jobs I do after putting the engine back together. Even so, still a very worthwhile job to do.

So after the first wave of gunking, Jade is starting to look a little cleaner, and I mean a little.

Also nipped down to Halfrauds for a tin of VHT Satin Black and started the intake manifold.

It could quite possibly be mate. That would explain clutch issues at high revs. When revs get to approx 5000 clutch felt like it was stuck to floor. Ok any other time. What should it look like

Back