k&N

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmark330

Hi guys ive got a 2001 puma thunder, would a K&N cone filter decrease fuel consumption and would it cause any damage to the engine. Also i get a strange whistling noise from the gear box but only in 5th gear and only when accelerating, any ideas what it could be. Many thanks guys.

Hi Mark.
Putting a cone filter will raise your fuel consumption. It`s because your engine will be `breathing` hot air from inside your engine bay.
If you mainly do `open road` driving a cold air feed would cure this. But in town, its a big no-no..
The other problem is the great sound. It makes you want to put your foot down at every opportunity (more fuel again)
For a performance boost, you should fit a K&N panel filter in your original airbox.
Neither filter will damage the engine.

As for noisy fifth gear. sounds bad.
Fifth is its own little gearbox on the end of the main box. The bearing sounds tired if its just one gear and under stress.
Very expensive fix, especially when there are plenty of breakers out there.
A replacement box is easy to find, Just make sure its from the same size engine, for the correct ratios.

I wouldnt say its a noisy 5th gear, its just a very low whistling sound, turn the stereo up to 10 and you cant hear a thing :grin: it does affect the gear change at all, she changes smoothly up and down the box.

Hi,

I have researched the type of filter you are thinking of fitting. I would not bother they appear to be a waste of money, with no gain or even a slight loss. Go for a cold air feed mod instead.

Regards,
Richar
d.

hi i also have fitted the k&n air filter on my puma and i think it sounds great and cant really notice any change for mpg but i usually go on the motor way to work :)

I fitted a pipercross cone filter and made a tray to sit under the filter and put a cold air hose in the tray. The car felt better with the filter fitted.

Fitted a RamAir to mine with cold air feed. Sounds immense. Or it did until it was drowned out by my Mongoose. Lol

Back