Key Fob transmitters for the Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuonokid

Recently I noticed that the key fob transmitter for my Puma wasn't working as well as it should and then last week it stopped working altogether so I had to use the key to open the doors. Anyway I put in a brand new battery (being careful not to flatten it by installing wrongly) and it still doesn't work, although the car starts so the chip in the key is ok. I've checked the battery voltage in the key and that's ok so the problem must be in the transmitter in the key, or the receiver in the car.
I have also stripped the key for my mk6a Fiesta and that seems to be identical apart from the transponder chip and I was wondering if it would be possible to use the transmitter half of my Fiesta key onto the transponder/battery half of my Puma key as the minute numbers on the transmitters seem to match. I suppose what I'm asking is, is the radio transmitter coded to anything?

170620152155_zpsem0xvjns.jpg

The transponder for the immobiliser is a separate entity to the central locking so swapping the transponder to the Fiesta key then programming that to the central locking should give you a working key. Providing the Fiesta and Puma keys are 'the same'

The transponder in the key should pull out of its rubber protective cover as long as you do it carefully.

Hi Tony
Thanks for replying. I think I've got the gist of that, what you're saying is the transmitter and receiver are "paired" and the transponder is only for the immobiliser. So I don't want to match the Fiesta key to the puma as the key itself is different so I'm probably better off buying a new blank key fob off ebay , using my Puma key and immobiliser along with the new transmitter and programming it to suit my central locking.
Barry

Yes. The transponder is only for the imobiliser.

When we swap to a TAPE ECU all we do is put the TAPE transponder in to our original key so we can start the car, but still unlock it as we're using the original remote part.

The transponder is 'paired' to the ECU/imobiliser and the remote locking transmitter is 'paired' to the GEM module but not 'paired' to the transponder.

Hi Barry - if you've got two keys that start the car it's easy enough to to pair a new key. It's even easier to pair a new fob to open the doors, you only need one key for that. I've got an old fob that works you could try before you buy a whole key, I'll show how to program both the immobilizer and locking.

Swap the transponders (small glass tube), swap the blades. Program the fob to open the car and should be job done.

Am I missing something, or could it be that you simply need to reprogram your original key fob after replacing the battery?
Paul

748 said:
Am I missing something, or could it be that you simply need to reprogram your original key fob after replacing the battery?
Paul
Possible, as it wasn't mentioned as being done, I don't think. The Fiesta key could also be programmed to open the Puma doors without touching the other one, if necessary.

Here's the Puma link https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.pumadrivers.nl/home/docs/site_docs/fordsleutel.pdf&sa=U&ei=jJaCVei1OPCy7Qbx2IGwCg&ved=0CDcQFjAI&usg=AFQjCNFPywdp9cjPkmbh0z4dpelYt7fZvQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to make things more complicated, more recent cars use a non-volatile memory there (like a flashdrive, which doesn't drop all it knows when the battery dies), but Pumas used volatile memory on the key fobs and so need reprogramming after battery change.

Ah, I didn't know that the memory could be lost whilst changing the battery! Thinking about it, though, I changed the battery in the Fiesta keyfob about 3 weeks before and that was ok and also when I checked the old battery out of the Puma keyfob it was still reading 3v.
Barry

tuonokid said:
Ah, I didn't know that the memory could be lost whilst changing the battery! Thinking about it, though, I changed the battery in the Fiesta keyfob about 3 weeks before and that was ok
Hi Barry,

Possible that the Fiesta key is from a newer model and so has changed its key internals or just to complicate things ( I honestly don't know if this applies to car keys) prior to non-volatles, many battery operated devices with volatile memories (cameras, radios, etc) have a capacitor built into the circuit which would hold the charge, and thus the memory, for around 10 - 60 seconds. Change the battery within that time you are OK.

One thing I do know, those 'deaf aid' style batteries can be a pig to get (or maintain) a good contact with and often benefit from the cotton bud/contact cleaner treatment or careful bending of the contact tangs. Might be worth a try. :)

Back