Lamda sensor

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madonna

ok my car is due for the Mot soon and last year it failed on the emissions as i was told they were through the roof so i took it for another Mot elsewhere and although high it passed so im thinking of replacing the lambda sensor(the top one) if that is the problem so if anyone can read off my emissions and tell me if it is the lambda or something else?
I could take it to the garage but then i would have to pay to get it tested,i thought maybe some guys on here may know from my posted results.
If anyone dosen't know then obviously i will have to take it in lol but no harm in asking.
The reading for the lambda ,im not even sure if that is for the top or bottom?
(RESULTS FROM PREVIOUS MOT BELOW)

Fast idle test
Engine RPM 2500/3000 Manual check Pass
CO % VOL 0.20 0.00 Pass
HC ppm VOL 200 4 Pass
Lambda 0.97/1.03 1.02 Pass

Neutral idle test
Engine RPM 450/1500 Manual check Pass
CO % VOL 0.30 0.06 Pass

Sorry I know know about emissions and reading results, but I do know it could also be your cat-converter thats the problem..

Sparx said:
Sorry I know know about emissions and reading results, but I do know it could also be your cat-converter thats the problem..

yes it may also be that,thats why im asking here thanks,anyone else?

again cant answer your question however what I can say is on the frp engine temp makes a huge difference, cold guaranteed fail, give it a good thrashing before the test passes with flying colours, have to tell the mot guys how to get it to pass, however the tester this year didn't test emissions, said vosa are less focused on emissions on cars with engine management as long as eml light isn't on !! how true that is I don't know

well I think I'll replace the pre-cat lambda sensor as the car is running rough anyway, thanks.
I'll see how it goes after that.
btw just incase I do need to replace the cat, anyone know where I can pick one up new but cheap?

Best place to buy a new cat is ebay methinks.

Is your car running rich? Is the exhaust tip too sooty?

chilipalmer said:

Yes its rich and sooty so what do you think,the sensor or cat?
also it runs rough,as if its holding back.

I think you should get the car scanned on a diagnostic otherwise you could just end up throwing money at parts you don't need

Hopefully getting it in next week though mine is a 1999 so im not sure if anyone will show up on the results.

ONE MORE QUESTION
I cant get into my boot and its been playing up for ages,my key remote has only 2 buttons,locking and unlocking the doors,i cant even remember if it opens the boot or is it only for the doors?
Im getting another lock off ebay hopefullly but im not sure if i need a servo or just the locks(the boot one and the lock thats its the light) as i only use the normal key anyway.
And is it also possible to open the boot from the inside as iv'e removed the parcel shelf etc but there is nothing you can put in there to open the boot,not without removing all the panelling,will i be able to open the boot then from inside?

madonna said:
chilipalmer said:

Yes its rich and sooty so what do you think,the sensor or cat?
also it runs rough,as if its holding back.

I think it may be both of them. I'm experiencing the same problem and I too was convinced it was the lambda. I took the car to the local Bosch car shop and the guy, after checking gases and whatnot, told me it was not the lambda but the cat which is not working 100%. When there's too much fuel getting unburned in the engine, carbon deposits start to form and they'll eventually knackered/clog it. Thing is though, he couldn't so far determine what's causing the fuel to burn inefficiently, which bring us back to the possibility of a lambda sending inaccurate info. This week I'm taking it back for further testing and I'll post the results here.
Since you're taking yours as well, maybe we can compare results?

Code:
Since you're taking yours as well, maybe we can compare results?
Agreed!

Latest posts

Back