Piper full FRP system FAILED emissions test.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwighet

Lads I spent good money on a Piper FRP manifold,sports cat and rear box about 9 mths ago...
It said on the tin...MOT approved...
Now im in Ireland(south) but im guessing the standards are pretty much the same..

The engine has frp cams,Puma speed remap.

The emission readings were as follows:
Low Idle; (930rpm) CO 0.25 vol%. PASS...^0.50% is FAIL.. all good there.
High Idle; (2490 rpm) CO 0.42 vol %... ^ 0.30vol% is FAIL... NOT SO GOOD

I have 4 weeks to get it sorted...Not a hope Im going back to the old std Exhaust system to pass the test...

So if any of ye who has the piper frp system and has encountered this problem PLS send my some advice on how to Pass that stoopid test..

Cheers
Dwight

8) not that easy here...
Have to hand the keys in and wait your turn...
But im sure I can book in and sit in the car and keep it lit up till its my turn...

would heat wrap around the cat help?

I looked into that on the internet and everything pointed to it shortening the life of the cat.
Barry

Makes sense that none of the above is good for any car

Maybe try speaking to the tester.
If you explain your car has a sports cat fitted as standard and it needs to be hot to be working efficiently he may well let you warm the thing first.
I suppose heat wrapping the exhaust and cat would help, but youd be best to take it off straight after the test.

Hi.

I am afraid I can not help with your particular problem. I have did have a complete Piper system fitted. I had issues with excessive noise. I Found a local company that make custom stainless systems. The made up a connector to reconnect the standard rear box. It is now very good there was no loss in performance. The chap who looked at the Piper system said that the bore is to large which causes a drop in exhaust gas velocity which will adversely effect performance unless the engine was putting out 200bhp in which case the tube diameter would be okay.

One side issue I did have was slight hesitancy withing the first half mile from a cold start. which could be down to the fuel air ratio. This has now disappeared after fitting the standard rear box.

Regards,
Richard.

As above, exhausts on N/A cars are a bit scientific. On turbo cars you want the biggest possible tube to get the gases out, on N/A cars you need good pressure all through the system to generate torque (and stop the valves burning away). For a standard 1.7 2" is about the biggest you'll want to go, maybe 2.25" but that's about it. It won't affect the volume as that's all down to cats and boxes.

Well Im booked in for next Friday for the re test.... Got some heat wrap coming so will wrap the cat for the test... Im going to get some funny looks sitting in the car park of the test centre revving the ring out of it until the man comes to PROBE it.. As long as it passes...Feck the lookers..LOL

KoNLaR said:
Think it will be more jealous looks than funny looks :) Good luck!
Should be fine...I just wish I had of known in the first place when I bought the FRP kit... I hate having to give an extra test...Last year they got me on a small crack on a braided break hose... The plastic coating on the hose had a tiny fracture..... FFS...

Well thanks for all the advice..
Passed the test yesterday.
The lad that did the test was a young fella who new the deal and reddened the cat before testing it..

Hi, I don't really think its the systems fault, unless the cat is completely shot.
I'm thinking it has more to do whit the fuel injection system. Ie lambda probe, or maf or something. Perhaps a temp sensor. It many its just not hot enough...
I have a 300cel sport cat myself, and have had no issues.

Edit. Didn't read the last post :) lol :)

Back