Lazy car polishing

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIIVVX

OK, you all (or long-term residents do) know that I am not one of nature's polishers / detailers.

I wash the car quite frequently using a microfibre mitt and Autoglym shampoo, but that's as far as it goes.

Now I want to pick the brains of the assembled experts on what I do with my, new-to-me, S-Type Jaguar in Dark Blue Metallic. It's quite close to the colour of my late lamented FRP

The paintwork is superficially ok, and the car's next stop will almost certainly be the scrapyard in five to ten years time (It's 2004).

In the interim

1) Is there a one-pass magic glop to get a very quick and very shiny look that may not last long, but has impact for a week or so?

2) If I really pushed the boat out and went to a two stage polishing binge, what would be the suggestion for something longer lasting, even if it didn't have the initial impact.

I don't want to buy any kit, so please don't suggest machine polishers.

Alternatively, if anyone needs detailing practice and fancies a trip to Norfolk there would be an endless supply of food and beer available.

TIA

Without equipment I'd say that Autoglym Super Resin Polish is your best bet. Use a microfibre applicator and don't use too much!

For long lived with a bit of rejuvenation you could try Bilt Hamber Autobalm.

I'd recommend three stage - Autoglym Super Resin Polish as recommended above will reduce the appearance of imperfections, then if you follow up with Poorboys Black Hole Glaze, that will fill any remaining imperfections and looks awesome on blue cars, then you should use a sealant or wax to lock in all your hard work. For sealant, I like Car-Lack 68 Long Life Sealant. For wax, I like Collinite 476. You can put wax over sealant if you like, but not the other way around.

All the improvement in appearance will take place at the polishing stage, but if you don't use a sealant or wax on top, it won't last.

For an easy, available from Halfords, two-stage polish and protect, try Autoglym Super Resin Polish followed by Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection (which is a sealant, and a piece of piss to apply).

You should really clay after shampooing and before polishing, but I'm fairly sure that would be a shade too far for you to tolerate!

Alternatively, give this "all in one" a go:
http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/tripple-250ml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:

For those who don't remember my masterly demonstration of my grasp of the double bucket method...

This 'Tripple' sounds worth a punt.

Thank you all so far, and keep the suggestions coming - I have Mrs XIIVVX's white Megane Coupe to keep clean also.

And I have just noticed I have dropped out of the sponsorship. That will be corrected this week. Bad of me.

Anybody on here tried the Demon shine thingy/stuff that you connect the hose pipe too, spray on and walk away?

As advertised on that box thing in the corner of my room :grin:

Back