Leaking fuel tank

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Puma

I came home to find that my fuel tank is leaking!! Is it an easy enough job to replace the tank yourself? As I don't fancy getting bent over by my local mechanic for a job I can do myself!

It's a 1.7 2001, where can I find a cheap enough replacement?

Any help would be appreciated cheers!

This one looks pretty good condition to me.... Never tried it before but let us all know how you get on bud.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-puma-fiesta-petrol-fuel-tank-/190685508789?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c65bdf4b5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

welcome aboard :thumbs:

Safety first for this job disconnecting the battery,and having an extinguisher on hand and maybe a second pair of hands.

Its held on by four bolt from underneath (but you have to get a spanner on the captive nuts behind),one or more which are behind heat shields iirc.
You'll want to empty it as much as possible of petrol of course, by driving it is easiest.
Disconnect the fuel filter and drain the fuel out of that. Disconnect the two hoses to the filler pipe (filler and overflow)
Use a jack and block of wood to lower it down.

Then you have electric connectors and pipes to disconnect on top of the tank before you can remove it.

You'll need a pump removal tool (or a suitably sized flat bar) to remove the fuel pump from the tank to put it in your new tank with a new gasket.Or not if your using a used tank with a pump. Do a search on the tank and filter and so on for other threads on how to change the tank as well as I have probably forgot something. If using a used tank with pump in it make sure its off a car with the same dash as yours i.e if you have an analogue dash get a tank / pump off a car with an analogue dash.If your cars digital get a tank pump off a car with a digital dash or your petrol guage wont work properly.Good time to get a new fuel filter as well. :thumbs:

The above ebay link is about as good as you'll get used, but as mentioned you'll have to put your 2001 pump / sender unit in it. Its got a new filter on it as well.

I will read up on all the relevant threads later and see. I'm a bit reluctant though as I havent actually done it myself except for removing the filler hose to rust treat,and changing my fuel filter and replacing a couple of the tank bolts while I was rust treating.

There was some talk a while ago that there were plastic Puma petrol tanks about, which I would prefer, but I couldnt find any evidence of any.I guess you have the option of an internal tank for yours as well though.

quest63 said:
There was some talk a while ago that there were plastic Puma petrol tanks about, which I would prefer, but I couldnt find any evidence of any.I guess you have the option of an internal tank for yours as well though.

Here's the part number: 9098312 Fuel Tank S1600 (Bag)

Cheers Quest and Flying Scotsman!

I managed to get hold of one from a local vehicle Dismantlers for 36 quid with a newish looking fuel filter! It is suffering from a little corrosion but it should do me until I can afford a brand spanking new one!

I am just trying to get hold of a decent Jack and then I will have a good stab at replacing the old one with the new one following Quests instruction. It looks fairly straight forward and I will keep you updated on how it went and what problems if any I encounter as I am sure there will be a couple of boobie traps lying in wait especially when I go to put the new one on!

wish me luck fellas!

Never ever work under the car with just a jack, mate! Use axle stands! Even though your probably harder than Chuck Norris, even you cannot survive the weight of a car on top of your chest..

I am not that kamikaze!!! I am away to get a set of stands tomorrow! The only person who could survive the weight of a puma on top of them is Chuck Norris himself!

Well I went ahead and swapped out the 2 tanks today!

And yes there were a few booby traps along the way!! I followed the step by step guide kindly posted by Quest which despite the booby traps kept me on the right path. So I will just add a few pointers that will prevent people encountering the booby traps and make the Job a hell of a lot easier!

1) have a small hack saw handy as you may need to hack the old Jublie clips of should they be badly corroded as mine where. If you don't fancy risking creating a spark then use a good pair of strong snips to be extra safe!

2) Wear safety goggles as I got an eye full of the rusty stuff just about every time I went under the car!

3) I had to use an extension about 7-8 inches to reach the drivers side (my 4-5 inch just wasn't enough), forward nut behind the heat shield! I obviously never had the extension at the time of discovery and had to nip to the shop to purchase one!

4) I had a bit of a ball ache removing the pump from the tank as I never disconnected the red hose/line going into it first. Once removed, the pump came easy enough by giving it a tap anti clockwise as Quest guide suggested, however I would recommend purchasing a pump removing tool as it would make the job a hell of lot easier especially when putting it back on!

5) When detaching the thin hose from the top/centre of the tank from the plastic thingy bobby (I don't know what it is as I am not a mechanic!!) it is attached to, I stupidly tried pulling the thin hose from the tank end of the union and ended up snapping it as I now know they are very delicate! There is a thicker hose on the other end of the plastic thingy bobby that you disconnect instead!

6) Once the tank was removed I prepared the new tank using the old hoses and went to install the pump, this is where the major ball ache came!!!!! I put the gasket and pump into the tank and then spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the retaining ring turned clock wise into lock position, I also spent a lot of time cursing and swearing (the neighbours must of thought I was having a nervous break down)! The problem was that the retaining ring (whatever it is called you will know what I mean if you ever go and install a pump) was warped which made it near impossible to rotate the ring under the hinges that lock it in place, my Girlfriend assisted me to no avail and if it wasn't for the luck of my mother being present and lending a third finger (to hold the ring down to get it under one of the many hinges), I may of not got it on! I strongly recommend that if possible you source a brand new one as my opinion is that the retaining ring will 9 times out of 10 be warped. If a new one is not available then get as many fingers as you can to hold the sucker down!

7) When reinstalling the tank I had a bit of bother getting it aligned properly. I tried aligning it from the passenger side first as I thought it would be easier to attach the pump/filter first but the heat shields on the drivers side where a becoming a bit of a hindrance! So I detached all the hoses again and started again but on the drivers side. It was easier to navigate the tank in and around the heat shields and I had it in place in no time! I managed it by myself but I highly recommend you have someone to assist as it is awkward and more time consuming on your own.

This was my first Job ever working on a car never mind changing a fuel tank, so I was expecting it to be a suck it and see exercise. The job despite the few booby traps went extremely well! If it was a job I had done numerous times then it would of taken no more than a couple of hours. I still have a Jublie to attach and to replace the plastic thingy bobby I broke. And then I will fire her up and hopefully she wont go BOOM!

I will let you know the result of my hard labour tomorrow....fingers crossed!

@flyingscotsman - I did see the set however I opted to get those ratchet stands just to save few extra pennies. The set will end up in my garage at some point in the near future I am sure!

Fired the old war horse up and nothing went boom!! In fact it feels like she has a little more Grrr about her!
The part I broke was a fuel vapour valve, the only place I could find a replacement was ford themselves whom quoted me £48!!!! So I just patched mine up and saved myself a few extra pennies until I find a cheaper source for the part!

Ford also priced me a brand new tank at nearly £300 and a pump at £200!!! I know you can get the parts cheaper else where but the whole Job probably cost me less than £90 which is saving a lot of pennies if I had used brand new ford parts and had used a garage with labour charges on top!

So Jobs a good one, cheers for the help and advice fellas!

quest63 said:
Impressive first job on a car if you ask me :thumbs:

Cheers Mr Quest! It was a bit daunting at first but once I got stuck in and past the point of no return it was all rather straight forward! And I has no problems with it all since I changed the tanks. However the replacement tank wasn't in much better condition so I will at some point, get a brand new one in there at some point!

I am going to trying to accomplish more work on the car myself as I won't be selling her so I have nothing to lose! So watch this space!

Just what I was looking for! Need to remove my tank so that I can weld some patches around the chassis rails and where the brake pipes connect.

Hopefully with this info I will breeze through it!
Thanks

Verity

Back