Mondeo Brakes, but i want 15" wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benking

Crappy standard brakes need to go. Performance wise car aint doing to bad, main area that needs improving is the brakes

As the title. Now i know the mondeo brakes dont fit under props without a bit of fetling. what id like to know is what exactly do i need to do to make them fit. Ive read that you ned to shave them or something. Is this something i can do or would i have to send them off somewhere

Ideas? (please no one say fit 17"s etc, im keeping the props)

How peed off with the brakes are you? Changing to braided hoses and high performance pads might make a significant amount of difference (just a suggestion; I haven't a clue myself!)

This isnt a grumble as such lol The standard brakes are poooooooooo!!!! Simple. So this is a natural upgrade. Im going scrappy possibly at the weekend so if its not to much hassle i might get them while im there. If its going to be a ball ache ill look at alternatives. The brakes stop me from enjoying the car, as after about 2 corners of hard braking they give up!!!

If you dont push your car too hard, you wouldnt understand :p

Ben you need to shave the calipers... a few mm to ensure they fit underneath the standard wheels,

from what Ive heard not really ideal but it works... the mondy brakes are fuckin awesome tho btw lol

Or you could get the slightly larger 260mm setup from a later puma (or other Ford cars of a similar size). With decent discs and good pads they are quite a bit better than the 240mm setup without the extra expense / drilling / grinding of the larger set-ups.

And they fit straight under props too.

Probably pennies from a scrappy as well. Just get some decent pads.

Shouldn't be a insurance notification issue as it is standard issue to the puma. Up to you though if you tell them as some insurance companies might not care, others will.

The Mondeo 300mm brakes won't fit behind the props without spacers, the grinding will resolve clearance with the outer face of the wheel, but they will foul the inner face (the back of the spokes) unless you fit 3mm spacers, which you probably don't want to do.

A change to Thunder, or the later wheels will avoid this.

I drive very enthusiastically, fairly often, and although the standard (258mms on mine) are not great, I dont see the need to go the Mondeo etc.. partly because I quite like the idea of staying with the 15" props.

I may prove myself wrong, but I am thinking grooved/drilled type performance discs and some performance pads will be as good.

Plan to do the upgrade in a couple of weeks.... existing pads getting to end of useful life anyway.

Drilled or grooved discs are inherently weaker than standard discs.

Ill find a way lol I suppose some things are worth it. I think if went to the hassle of changing puma or later spec brakes why not go to just a little bit more hassle putting something better on anyway. I think also if i went for the later spec ones it would annoy me that i didnt go for the mondeos.

its not really that much work, ive not seen many people unhappy with the mondeos, but people change from the later specs to the mondeos so that says it all to me :eek:k:

I think you would probably have to get bigger wheels but have you considered the ST150 set up mate?
Im 100% if they would fit under the probs though tbh but they are 280mm and bolt straight on to the puma

Just a thought :)

Not much use though if the disc shatters, which there is a risk of if you're pushing the car and brakes harder.

Cherie said:
Not much use though if the disc shatters, which there is a risk of if you're pushing the car and brakes harder.

Not really a shattering issue -the forces aren't applied that way. Biggest issue with brakes is over-heating & issues stemming from that, such as 'fade'. Which is where the heat dissipation comes in...
Have never heard of proper performance, grooved & vented discs being regarded as less than a positive step... both on other forums & via my old mechanic friend (sadly
now deceased).

You're more likely to get a buckled / warped disc with grooved or drilled though as the heat dissipation is not uniform across the disc.

But if you're driving that hard in a Puma that you need to uprate the brakes, then good luck.

Back