MOT advisories - please help!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalpuma

Got EIGHT advisories during my recent MOT! Eight! I also had to have a new front near side top mount to pass (it also failed on frozen washer jets and a twisted passenger seat belt :shock: but they very kindly rectified these for free :lol: ).

I would like some advice as to how important these things are if possible...

1) Exhaust noisy (er...?)
2) Offside front MacP strut has slight movement in upper attachment
3) Nearside front anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated but no resulting in excessive movement
4) Same for offside
5) Offside rear (sill) suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but is not considered excessive
6) same but replace 'corroded' with 'distorted'.
7) Nearside rear trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement
8.) Same for offside

Ok, so presumably I can ignore 1???

I replaced 'all' the rubber bushes with Powerflex when first got car but from memory the anti-roll bar ones weren't included in the pack and so weren't 'poly'd', but what about the trailing arm ones?! I had understood only one set of bushes was excluded from the Poweflex kit?

What are they talking about in nos. 5&6? Obviously I need to have a look but I don't know how easy this stuff is to see. I would have asked the garage about these things but I was at work and the certificate was issued to Kev in my absence.

Tempted to take it to Tremona and say help!

crystalpuma said:
Tempted to take it to Tremona and say help!
That's what I'd do - they'll tell you what needs doing and what doesn't for sure.

Just some random thoughts in no particular order

1) was your rear axle polybushed as My understanding is they will outlast the life of the car?
2) You have a powerflow exhaust so it likely is louder than standard,I dont know if the MOT has a decibel test but if not and presuming it doesnt have a leak it could just keep on getting advisories indefinately. Or not even get a mention at another testers.
3) The offside strut probably needs a new top mount like the near side,probably makes sense to change the bearing as well
4) Apparently the anti roll bar bushes are a nuisance probably requireing the subframe to be dropped a little to access them/
5) Points 5 and 6 are debatable as to whether the tester means the part of the body the rear axle brackets bolt to, or whether he means the brackets on the rear axle that mount to that part of the body.I would say its more likely the body has rusted at the mounting point rather than the bracket rusting.As for the other side having distortion thats a bit harder to figure out. Have a look yourself do MOT testers still mark problem areas with yellow marker so you can see whats what

Just a further thought but the areas mentioned in your list 5 and 6 are in the areas that would be exposed if your axle has to be detatched at the front mounting to do your bushes. So if it turns out your bushes do need doing it would make sense to have those ares dealt with at the same time.

Yeah can't believe it will last another 5 years (on 130k) so not much point in terms of longevity!!

Tremona are definitely my friends...

You had the rear powerflex fitted to Nancy didn't you? Remember the ones you originally got didn't come with the metal inner part and you went back (I think?) when you got them supplied again by Pumabuild?

5) Offside rear (sill) suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but is not considered excessive
6) same but replace 'corroded' with 'distorted'.

Sounds like it's the metalwork around the rear bushes that they're highlighting rather than the actual bushes.

7) Nearside rear trailing arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement

Don't see how a Powerflex rubber (no, it's not rubber, it's polyurethane) can deteriorate unless the metal housing has corroded and is cutting into it?

Yes that is what I thought! Actually there's an easy way to check which bushed are poly as I can google the kit...

PFF-19-701 Lower Arm Front Bush
PFF19-603 Anti Roll Bar
PFR19-707 Rear Beam

^ Contents of current kit sold by PB so presume same as what I bought.

My old bike got an advisory every year for having a noisy exhaust.

Rubber bushes always wear out with time and isn't such an expensive fix.

The MacP strut is probably the top mounts?

Well hopefully will have some daylight time with my car on Sat and can check. The rear beam axle bush is def Powerflex. So some of the problems make sense and some are not!! At least it has made my mind up about taking it to Tremona :D

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Agreed, very happy with the service I received there last time :D and now it's only one and a half hours away it's not quite so crazy taking Nancy there :lol:

Back