Muffler question

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi guys, I came across this silencer. Does anyone know is this the original one, or its an aftermarket one, so it changes the exhaust sound quite a bit. Cheers

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosal-Muffler-End-Pipe-Exhaust-Rear-Ford-Puma-EC-1-6-1-7-76KW-92KW-/382286031524?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1&_mwBanner=1

Looks similar to the original fitting but not sure about the inlet pipe, looks wrong angle to me but may be the picture

What year is your Puma? Mines a 2000 on an X reg, they have three mounts for the rubbers. I think that one is to an early Puma, they have slightly different floorpans iirc.

Its a 2001 modell so she's got 3 silencer mounts. Ive noticed theil missing mount as well, thought just the picture but I better ask the seller. Thanks guys

EuroCarParts stock a Klarius backbox. £48.99. Leave with it same day if you phone them, the image sample (cartoon/drawing) has three mounts. Try Parkers, I'm a regular in there and get trade so works out slightly cheaper if you have a friend in the motor trade.

The one on eBay is coming from Germany, so about a 2-3 day wait plus it's more expensive. You must have some kind of motor factors fairly close to you. Don't forget to buy exhaust fitting paste, and a clamp. You may have to cut your old silencer off and attach it to the catback, if it hasn't had a new catback or silencer in its life before.

I've had a closer look and I think that Bosal picture is upside down. At the bottom there's a thicker part I reckon that's the end solo hook, I'm gonna ask the seller though, thanks for mentioning it guys.

Ive seen the Klarius ones a lot on the net, heard quality isn't that great though hence the price, but mostly I look for a Bosal because don't want insurer to pay over exhaust modification, if I'm right Pumas came with Bosal from factory and they sound better too. The exhaust been cut before, so would be just a swap. Thanks

Btw I've found these, here's the same Bosal too for more though:
http://m.mister-auto.co.uk/en/end-silencer/ford-puma-ec-1-7-16v-125hp_v7813_g3437.html

have a look at this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-Bosal-Exhaust-Rear-Silencer-154-337-1-4-03-97-06-02-/331163354778

alfie74 said:
[post]368583[/post] have a look at this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-PUMA-Bosal-Exhaust-Rear-Silencer-154-337-1-4-03-97-06-02-/331163354778

Yeah Ive seen that one, but thats for 1.4 and mine is 1.7 Thanks anyway

alfie74 said:
[post]368585[/post] no probs, it states its for a 1.4 but it fitted my 1.6 without any probs
Someone mentioned its not about fittings, it's about the back pressure and if not for the right engine that can lead to power loss.

Insurance won't refuse a payout over backbox make. If you changed the exhaust for performance, such as a 4-2-1 system or a racetube / cherry bomb, then you will get your insurance voided.

No insurance surveyor is going to get under your car, look at your backbox then research the make of exhaust that Ford used and then voiding your claim over it. :wink:

I've heard of insurance refusing a payment over a CD player before. I much rather drive around with traders insurance and not have to worry about declared mods - It's third party only. Can insure up to 80 cars on the MIB as well IIRC. And drive anything up to a commercial van. :cool:

Most cars I don't even put on there, just drive around and when pulled over show my proof of insurance on e-mail and they let me go.

The factory fitted exhaust was a one piece affair.
Obviously it was fitted before the beam. And has to be cut off when it visits Kwik Fit.
Funnily enough I`ve just removed one in one piece while doing some beam bushes. (I knew I should have got a piccy)
I don`t think any of the two piece replacement exhausts as marked `Ford`
But can`t say for certain.

alfie74 said:
[post]368585[/post] no probs, it states its for a 1.4 but it fitted my 1.6 without any probs
That's another question, can a 1.4 silencer be used on 1.7 without any backslash?

Sylvester said:
[post]368609[/post]
alfie74 said:
That's another question, can a 1.4 silencer be used on 1.7 without any backslash?
Many eBay sellers have different versions, probably a reduced bore hole in the 1.4?

Back