My beloved Puma. Please advise

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuffy22

Hi I need your help & advice. I have owned & loved my Moondust Silver 1.7 full electric pack Puma from registration Sep 2000, FSH, everything done as required & sometimes even before as I am a picky girl, all receipts, tax discs & MOT's. I adore her so she has always been garaged & she has just under 40,000 miles. I declared her SORN on 1st Sep 2013 after having her service & MOT done as my circumstances have changed. Part of me dearly wants to keep her for years & years, lovingly looked after in my garage while the new family KUGA sits on the drive but I don't know whether to keep her like that or let some enthusiast enjoy her. Money is not the entire issue whilst I would want to get what she is worth but I just couldn't bear selling her to just anyone I would want someone who I know would appreciate her for what she is. She means the world to me as I struggled to get her & keep her as I have had some difficult years. My dad was a Forward Planning Engineer with Ford but passed away 11 years ago so I would appreaciate some expert PUMA lovers guidance. I am also trying to sort out insurance cover for her as that runs out at the end of Sept so any advice there would also be really helpful

First of all welcome to the site! Sounds like you have a lovely example of a Puma!

I think it depends on what you want to do at the end of the day, most owners here will vouch for the fact that if you sell it you'll no doubt want another and then you'll not have the same knowledge of the car as you do of your own.

If you can keep it and intend on using it in the future then I'd say keep it!

The other issue which you've touched is value, unfortunately because they are now 13 years old you can pick up a number of cheap ones it means the knock on effect is that great ones sit around waiting to be sold at the higher prices. If you have time to burn and don't mind continuously advertising the car then this isn't an issue but advertising isn't exactly cheap.

Ultimately there are no guarantees who gets it.

Best thing you can hope for is that a low mileage, looked after car which I imagine you will price accordingly, will only attract someone who is looking to also take good care.

No harm advertising it over book and seeing what happens. Worst thing is you'll still keep the car you like and you might have given a tenner to Ebay.

The value of Pumas has hit rock bottom now as with most cars when they get to 10-15 years old. Mark my word, any really good low mileage/low owner/good history Puma is going to be worth something in another 10 years time.

How can I tell the future, I can't. But going on past experience with the Fiesta mk2/XR2 I bought 2 ratty XR2's in 1 week for £100 in 2003. You can't get a restoration project XR2 for under a grand now.

I've just bought a £250 99 t reg 1.7 with lots of history and only 2 owners but 153K on clock. Head tells me to rip it apart and sell the bits, but heart is saying its a good base for an excellent project.

If you can afford to keep yours then I'd say that's the way to go.

it sounds like its worth more to you in sentiment then you would ever get cash wise, for that reason id keep it

Qwertben said:
it sounds like its worth more to you in sentiment then you would ever get cash wise, for that reason id keep it
I agree.

If it's been SORN'd then theoretically it's not costing you anything to keep it. From personal experience, if you get rid, you'll only want another one.
I'd rather keep something I know lots about than get rid and end up getting another one with possible unknown issues.

fuffy22 said:
Hi I need your help & advice. I have owned & loved my Moondust Silver 1.7 full electric pack Puma from registration Sep 2000, FSH, everything done as required & sometimes even before as I am a picky girl, all receipts, tax discs & MOT's. I adore her so she has always been garaged & she has just under 40,000 miles. I declared her SORN on 1st Sep 2013 after having her service & MOT done as my circumstances have changed. Part of me dearly wants to keep her for years & years, lovingly looked after in my garage while the new family KUGA sits on the drive but I don't know whether to keep her like that or let some enthusiast enjoy her. Money is not the entire issue whilst I would want to get what she is worth but I just couldn't bear selling her to just anyone I would want someone who I know would appreciate her for what she is. She means the world to me as I struggled to get her & keep her as I have had some difficult years. My dad was a Forward Planning Engineer with Ford but passed away 11 years ago so I would appreaciate some expert PUMA lovers guidance. I am also trying to sort out insurance cover for her as that runs out at the end of Sept so any advice there would also be really helpful
Hi,
If you need any help with insurance then please feel to drop me a line. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi
If you are not needy of the room in the Garage keep it. They are great cars and such as yours will only appreciate in time. The only thing is it will need to be maintained whilst it's still in the garage not being used as you can't just park a car up and leave it alone. I bought my 2001 37k mile Puma as a fun replacement for my everyday car but have just spent the last 10 months restoring it and when it's done it will only have occasional use as I would like to keep it in great condition.
Barry

Hi and welcome.
KEEP YOUR PUMA. The Puma will be a classic car, there is no doubt about it. I owned and restored classic mk1 Mini's and Mini Coopers. The puma is of the same ilk and has the same passionate following of its owners. I sold many Minis and regretted it later, I still like the idea of owning a mk1 classic mini but now price and condition are a bit to much. Think about how much you would get for it, In a few years time when you want to replace it that is when you wish you had not sold it. Store it, if you can not garage it get a top quality cover and under take preperation with the car for off road storage. Lay up insurance is available. Best of luck with your decision, I hope it is the right one.
Regards,
Richard Mansfield

Latest posts

Back