My Puma.. Maximum Track Attack!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a little buy today, went to see my mate Leon who runs EP Racing and got myself some nice anodised fasteners. Ive decided the car needs a bit of smarted up so im starting with the little details.

Neo chrome and orange for the door cards and a few exterior bits like the canards etc. My car will be on display at next years Autosport International Show so its time I got it back up to standard.

image1 (5) by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

So yesterday I made a start on fitting my new front splitter, its a bit wider than an standard FRP item and it also sits a bit further forward. The Foamex material its made from is nice and light but its also just a touch wobble at the rear.

The front once It has the extra two supports on will be nice and firm but I'l need to brace the rear part of it to stop it flapping around at high speed. Hopfully I'l get it finished next week, I've also got my canards to add and to drill the holes for the quick release pins.

Once I sorted that It'll all come apart and I can then wrap the splitter blade and get the bumper painted.

Progress so far...

image1 (6) by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

image4 (1) by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

image2 (1) by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

image3 (1) by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

Hi Jay,
These D shaped splitters are becoming all the rage :cool:
I like the anodised fasteners, It`d be interested to weigh the two bags of bolts to see just how much weight they save. (they look the part)

On another note.

At the Javelin Sprint recently, I fitted my bumper upon arrival as usual. but rushed the job as scrutineering was first thing, it wasn`t quite rock solid.
After a couple of sprint runs. I found the bumper was trying to pull itself off!
The downforce is obviously significant. Which is good. :grin:
I checked the tightness and they were pretty much ok, but not rock solid. So I nipped them up, no more problems.
But.
I decided to give up on the quick release plans I had for the bumper.
There`s no way Dzus or any other quick release fasteners would grip tight enough, not to risk losing the lot at speed, under my front end!

It`ll be interesting to see how you get on with the foamex. I have 12mm ply, and light it isn`t!

See you on track soon, stu..

Ive just been using bonnet pins as a quick release system but im considering whether to do it or not on this bumper, it was handy to have it as it made it much easier getting on and off ramps for the MOT / servicing. The main concern is that the splitter will cause it to pull down and eventually pull the bumper off!

I dont think the anodised fasteners will weigh anything less than standard, probably more in all honesty but they are for the interior and I chose them purely for cosmetics.

Spent a couple of hours on the car again this weekend, just did a couple of little odd jobs the first of which was to remove the current lambda sensor, just need to extend the length of the wiring on the new one and then I can get it fitted. Hoping it will cure its poor running.

I also refitted my carbon door cars with the anodised washers and bolts I bought, looks much better than the pop rivets and its makes it easier to gain access to the door should I ever need too.

No pictures unfortunately.... I forgot! Will get some later on today and stick them up tomorrow, if I remember.

I managed to get a few little jobs done yesterday, just some small cosmetic bits that have been bugging me for a while but I did also do a job or two that i'd been meaning to for some time as well.

First up I replaced the nasty old bonnet bolts with some much nicer anodised cap head items.

Untitled by Jay Hardy, on Flickr

I also did the same inside for my kill switch.

The door cars got some love as well.... replaced the nasty looking rivets with some much nicer fasteners, also means I can removed the door card now without have to drill the rivets off every time.

Tidied up the wash wipe hose.

I also solved my issue of not having any rear fog lights since I cut the bumper in half. I'd bought this MSA spec rain light months ago but only just got round to fitting it. Wired it into the old fog light loom.

And fitted... Will be treating to some of the same anodised orange bolts to hold it in place as well.... Nice and bright too!

One of the jobs i've been meaning to do for a long time is sort the threads out on the rocker cover studs, they we're cross threaded and it meant I could tighten the rocker down properly.

Like new..

I also refurbed the little cup/washers and used some more fancy fasteners!

Looking much nicer and its properly tightened down as well.. Win!

That was pretty much it for yesterday, more to come soon!

Had my wheels painted... KTM Orange

12278672_1648334735408172_576042127630989458_n.jpg

11217157_1648334752074837_7214105754165400880_n.jpg

12278631_1648334768741502_7616358227180491992_n.jpg

Been a bit quiet at work this week at work so decided to play around and tart a few bits up... this is what happens when I get a bit bored.

Thought i'd give the brakes a bit of a clean and tidy up, now I have orange wheels I dont really want orange calipers as well.

Started with the discs, being as the car hasnt moved for a few months they were corroded and rusted up so ran the grinder over them with a linishing pad to clean the surface up abit.

Then masked them all up, ready for a bit of primer.

Then I just used some VHT silver paint to give them a freshen up.

Its by no means perfect but im hoping it will just make the brakes look that little bit neater behind the wheels.

I know its also a track car but I do like things to look a certain way.

Next up, the calipers, just need to get them on the wire wheel in the workshop and I can crack on with tidying them up.

Got the carriers all painted up... first picture shows how awful they looked and one that has had some wire wheel treatment.

All painted up and looking much better!

Should hopefully get round to painting the calipers tomorrow, will be doing them on the car though so just hoping for decent weather.

Lots more progress to come in other areas as well over the next week or so.

Spent a couple of days over the Christmas period getting a few more little jobs done on the car. Just needs another mornings work and she'll be ready for 2016.

Completed the brake refurb

Got the wheels on.

Also gave the car a quick service, oil & filter, fuel filter & new spark plugs. Not sure if I've cured its rough running as of yet but hopefully next weekend i'l get the car done and out for a test drive.

Just need to get the front bumper built up with a new bigger splitter and canards and she'll be done.... ish!

Cheers, im still not 100% sure on them. I think once the car is liveried up then the whole colour scheme will come together better.

Had a bit more time spent on the car yesterday afternoon as well. Splitter is now all bolted up to the front bumper, just need to make/buy a couple of support brackets to brace the rear of it a bit. No pics as it was dark when I finished.

I agree on the wheels, they look great. Not sure if you have mentioned it anywhere, but what ET are they?

Its worth removing the paint from the alloys where the wheel nuts touch seat - I've seen it happen more than once where freshly painted and torqued up wheel nuts loose once the paint softens due to heat generated on track.

Latest posts

Back