n/a 220 bhp

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulob1

Okay after spending a fortune and leaving my car with chris forever, I now have it back...

mouldy having been left outside for the past year, but she will clean up...

engine is great, too noisy though and will have to reduce that, i don't like noisy cars.
I have a drive shaft vibration, that will have to be sorted.
I need to change the gearing. it is doing approximately 140 mph in 4th, and will go onto close to 200mph in top...so ideally I want to bring the gearing down a bit...may have to do this using fourth and fifth from another gearbox...anyone got any ideas..

hehe, he said it would be 200mph in 5th, not that it can get there, wouldn't get anywhere near thus why he wants to change gearing as 5th is likely undriveable. My RX8 would do close to 200mph if I could get it anywhere near the rev limiter in top gear, but it hasn't a cat in hells chance :lol:

Out of interest, what revs can it reach now as you must be pushing RX8 territory which is insane for the poor little Puma :lol:

Warren, I'm surmising it's a standard gearbox so c3.5k rpm at 70mph.
To achieve the 200mph as he stated I'm also surmising the new engine can rev to around 10k rpm.

Get the car up on ramps, attach a new speedo and top it out. Get a picture and 'pretend' it was while you were driving down the M1 or something hehehe

yeh 200 mph is man speak for its too high geared...to do 200 mph I think you would need close to 550 bhp....my 320 bhp car was good for a very fast 140 and no doubt with the right gearing would have gone a lot more but top speed is not what i am after...

I need acceleration in the midrange, 3,4,5 need to be a bit closer, my thoughts are that I need

100 in 3rd, 120 in fourth and 150 in 5th...at 8,500 rpm. This is my max revs, its not too heavily loaded and runs really quite nicely at that revs...just need a new rev counter and or a gear change light.

I am sure someone did the calculations once before for re gearing the box, the 1.4 is lower geared I think, and the 1.6 maybe even the std car too..just cannot remember..

I think that should be plenty to be honest...

All the boxes have the same effective 5th gear, through different ratios and final drives. 1.4 boxes have the shortest 1st gear, all seconds are the same in every box. The 3rd 4th and 5th in the 1.7 boxes are closer, but they have a longer final drive than standard to bring the motorway revs back to approx 3500 @ 75mph.

gingerdave said:
Dwighet said:
gingerdave said:
So,can we see some dyno charts please :)
must be a secret... :roll:
To be honest don't think the guy has been on line since the first post.But it would be nice to see where the power/torque is and if its user friendly.Also asked the guy with Yella Fella? .But no response there either.
Im keen to take a peek at the dyno sheet as well..
Also the engine mods like what pistons and rods ect.

Hey guys sorry, broke my leg and have been disabled for an age...still supposed to be wearing this bloody great boot but am walking in a smaller support thing now and all goodish...

okay let me get started...

the main power is coming in from about 3200-3300, but I am still playing with her to get a feel.
she will still do over 30 mpg cruising on the motorway.
I still need to have the tracking done and maybe upgrade the tyres to a full set of something, but not sure what yet...likely will go for Michelin's...
Interior is a mess from having sat at chris for so damn long...but I will work on that.

Chris has yet to send me the dyno sheet, think he has forgotten and once I have it i will post it on here.

driving wise...she will tickle along at 40 in top just...will do 30 in fourth, but needs 2nd really up to around 50 mph if your going for it and she can really hum at 6000-8,5000 rpm...I have yet to fit a digital tacho so i know where I am once i go above 7000 as for now i am changing just after that point so not really hitting max power...

I have to say this to anyone thinking of doing the mods I have...DONT. its a waste of money unless you need it for a race car and you need say a 1600 engine or a 2 litre N/a engine then do that the 1700 is neither one thing or another...

Its no where near as good as the turbo car and nowhere near as powerful. It is very drive-able but is basically slow, (compared to the turbo car) its pulling just 50% more power than the standard car so it gives you better overtaking speed. I would say it is like a standard FRP on mild steroids...the turbo car is a whole lot more fun and faster by a mile...and easier to get to the power...

However interestingly this car has not spoilt the true nature of the FRP and sort of leaves the character still there...if you know what I mean...it is still a lovely car to drive fast but not silly fast...when you get up to the high revs it really gets going...

plans for the car...I need a lower ratio 4th and 5th...ideally i want to be able to run 5th to a maximum of 150 mph... not the current 180 plus...and not sure where fourth should be just yet but I think 4th inst too bad...even if i just change 5th for now and fit the LSD's again...that may be enough...I have to play a bit more to check this out...interestingly the brakes seem man enough for the job too...they are weak on the turbo car...and may have to go for bigger discs to increase feel and effect...but on this car they are perfect...so far anyway...

I will keep you all posted, once chris has my turbo car re done and 350 bhp then I should be bale to give you some good comparisons...I still think 250 bhp at the wheels is about enough in these cars.

one last thing...we are going to fit nitrous to this car and are talking to WON to check how to best fit it..I would like at least 50 maybe as much as 100 bhp boost, and with nitrous coming in at any speed the instant hit is really good...and at low revs will really make a difference to how she drives and will give me instant urge....

I am back to having that stupid grin on my face...I have completely forgotten why i enjoy these cars so damn much...I have a lovely old lotus esprit S4s, and whilst that is a massively quick car and can corner as if it truly is on rails, it relies on extremely low body weight and width, massive tyres and hard suspension. and to test that car you have to be hitting big numbers, with the puma I can chuck it about at lowish speeds and still be having fun...only problem now with the extra power she has stepped up a notch in speed terms, is very noisy, intake noise mostly and 5th is too tall for it, I need fifth to be just a few notches higher than 4th...4th gets me to about 120, which is great but then 5th needs to get me to 150 tops, I dont need any more...mind you now I am exploring her limits, fuel consumption is down to 20 mpg.

okay engine mounts failed and now getting a bit of a misfire, likely a plug or coil pack...so planning on coming off the road for winter at the end of the month and then will take out the engine send her off for a respray and tidy up, replace as much of the interior as can do and fit a new radio and speakers as mine seem to be buggered...will likely fit a louder system.

will build a plenum box for the inlet too, she is just too noisy without one...hoping the plenum box will make her more palatable when throttle opened wide...

will go up to chris for a few ideas this week...

Latest posts

Back