New MX-5

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilrob

What do we think?

mx-5_2014_exterior_03_jpg300.jpg

mx-5_2014_exterior_01_jpg300.jpg

mx-5_2014_exterior_02_jpg300.jpg

mx-5_2014_detail_03_jpg300.jpg

Something F-Typey about it... I quite like it.

Apart from the front being a bit low, it's good. Looking like an F type isn't exactly a bad thing. I'm guessing it won't sound like one unfortunately! I've decided I'm getting a Mk3 Mx5 tin top next.

100kg less than the current one according to reports.

I really like it. They've said the new 1.5 that'll replace the 1.8 will have more power. Smaller (lighter) engine + lighter car + more power = Awesome.

The 2.0L will have more power too apparently.

I'm not sure. I appreciate all the weight saving, but I don't think the design is particularly coherent. The rear looks like it came from another car entirely.

I'll reserve complete judgement until I see one in the flesh though.

I really want to like it, but it looks like someone's gone through the Osbourne book of fast cars and chosen bits of their favourites.

Front half - Quattroporte

Back half - F-Type

Bit in the middle - a wobbly attempt to join the two together.

I imagine it'll be really nice to drive though and I'm not entirely sure the studio-photos do it any justice.

Did they forget to put 50p in the light meter?

Early Autocar review here (with video too).

mazdamx5-stan-52.jpg

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mazda/mx-5-2015/first-drives/2015-mazda-mx-5-15-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The more I read about this car, the more I like it. It's got all the ingredients I look for - naturally aspirated, low weight, no stupid blingy wheels and so on. The looks have even won me over. In white, it looks superb. I'm not sure the red of the launch car was the best colour to show it off in. The fact it looks a little like a Z4 doesn't even slightly bother me - I think the Z4 still looks great.

I'm half contemplating a test drive in a few months. I wonder how much a Type R is worth in part ex?

Back