New owner 1.7 MOT failed project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oglind

Ok so where to start..
1.7L 1999 (T reg)
68k miles, engine seems ok, little bit of blow from the exhaust
judging from the subs and speaker kits that were fitted im guessing it was a boy racers car and has probably been trashed. No MOT so couldnt properly test the gearbox on the road.
rear subframe bushes were an advisory since 2008
central locking doesnt work, don't think the immobilizer does either
rear suspension bushes deteriorated
flex brake hose o/s front cracked
ABS error light on dash
TCS error light on dash
n/s and o/s strut top plates rusted

apart from that its great

oh and dent on the o/s wing, and either damp or a blown heater matrix in the cockpit

Looking forward to this project, but i have no idea which part to tackle first.
thinking of removing the whole rear subframe, seperating everything, grinding the rust and powder coating it, then replace every bit of rubber on the car, either with new or poly fixings.

Still it only cost £300

thanks, i'm sure there'll be quite a few more problems once i get started.
I've literally fully kitted out my garage just for this car, wanted one for ages and i'm determined to restore it to a great state

A good start would be a survey of the whole underside of the bodywork to make sure that your not spending fortunes on a car that isnt worth it

Maybe a compression test on the engine again to make sure your not spending fortunes on a car with a poorly engine

Damp footwells more likely to be a leak from the scuttle panel under the windscreen rather than the heater matrix, a cheap fix but often hard to find and seal properly.

Get it scanned possibly buy a cheap obd2 reader to pin down your abs traction control light problem, which likely will turn out to be a sensor on one of the wheels.

Consider polybushing the rear subframe they will last the life of the car, are easier to fit and you wont need a bush tool to fit them

Good luck with it

Back