New Puma project

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eBay. It's a Sytec fuel rail adapter.

Jobs for the weekend:
Finish cleaning engine
Remove oil pressure switch to fit oil feed adapter. Fit pressure switch on to adapter
Mount turbo & manifold
Heat wrap manifold
Fit starter
Fit refurbed inlet & throttle body
Mount fuel rail adapter
Mount fuel pressure regulator and connect/pipe it to fuel rail adapter & throttle body

How is CIF doing the job of degreasing and cleaning the engine? How are you applying it? Are you using a (tooth)brush or some other technique? Plenty of hot water or not needed?

Ta

I haven't used it.
I tried the intake cleaner first... It has cleaned the engine good so I have not needed to use anything else.

CherryVimto said:
I haven't used it.
I tried the intake cleaner first... It has cleaned the engine good so I have not needed to use anything else.
By intake cleaner you mean some sort of carburettor cleaner? Or brake cleaner?

Looking good mate! Can't wait to see it racing down the road! (at the speed limit of course!!) :grin:

Wild E. Coyote said:
CherryVimto said:
I haven't used it.
By intake cleaner you mean some sort of carburettor cleaner? Or brake cleaner?
Yes, intake/carburettor cleaner. It doesn't remove any thick oil but it does remove light oil.
I used a paint brush with the hairs/bristles cut down. This makes a good firm brush to loosen the dirt once you have used the cleaner. When the dirt is loose, use the cleaner again to clean it away.

BigAl said:
Looking good mate! Can't wait to see it racing down the road! (at the speed limit of course!!) :grin:
Thanks, but it won't be for a while yet. I've still not decided what I'm putting the engine in yet!

CherryVimto said:
Jobs for the weekend:
Finish cleaning engine - DONE
Remove oil pressure switch to fit oil feed adapter. Fit pressure switch on to adapter - NEED BIGGER SOCKET
Mount turbo & manifold - DONE
Heat wrap manifold - DONE (I hope!)
Fit starter - Will be fitted when gearbox goes back on
Fit refurbed inlet & throttle body - DONE
Mount fuel rail adapter - DONE
Mount fuel pressure regulator and connect/pipe it to fuel rail adapter & throttle body - DONE

I've had a good day working on the engine. I've got virtually everything done I wanted to do.
I finished cleaning the engine. It's not perfect, but I'm not wanting to eat my dinner off it or win any prizes!

I couldn't fit the oil pressure switch adapter as I haven't got a socket big enough.

Inlet mounted with fuel rail adapter:

4a75848f52a60f358355b0b2c5a88f30_zpsdce8115a.jpg

12ff11633c00265cf9b57bc6cf1b313d_zpsee059392.jpg

Need to repaint the throttle body and the ICV

Sneaky peek with the engine cover on:

183f7a6502db873ddc7c2990c5843768_zpsb4990b87.jpg

Fuel pressure regulator is mounted but not permanently. I'm going to cut and neaten up the bracket so it also sits over the mounting hole for the engine cover for added stability.

First attempt at a bit of heat wrapping:

96007c483190e5eddcc0e9d7a26a34d7_zps4f6fdfdd.jpg

Coming along nicely now :) wish i could do a turbo Conversion, but that would just be a verry expensive way for never to get to drive on the road again :/

Today this project took a different direction..... I've got myself another Puma!

I'm going to give it a really good going over tomorrow, but at the moment I've got plans to fit the upgraded parts I fitted to but removed from my Thunder:
Poly bushed wish bones
Poly bushed rear beam
Remove 17" wheels and fit the 16" Pro race alloys so the 17s can be refurbed
Fit turbo and manifold
Fit Ashley rear box and Hoffman race tube so the down pipe can be made for the turbo

Hi Tony
Good to hear that, I wondered whether you would manage to find another one so really pleased for you.
Barry

Thanks Barry.

I took someone with me sort of for a second opinion and to help me get the Puma back.
The underneath is clean and solid so a whizz over with a wire brush and some underseal will see her good.

So, the Puma is a 1.7 in silver. Some people may have already seen it on the forum!
It is documented that the dash developed a fault which was replaced, so the mileage works out to around 80,000.

Engine runs sweet but the front brakes are rubbish despite being fitted with drilled and grooved discs with green stuff pads.

Interior is clean & tidy.

Believe it or not, the headlights are great!

The wheels need a refurb and there is a dent in the rear panel, drivers side which needs repairing.

image_zpsf90dcb9f.jpg

image_zps91e0d255.jpg

image_zpsdf508db3.jpg

image_zps5d554916.jpg

image_zps9b203239.jpg

He didn't really punt it as such.

I showed a general interest to start with and it all snowballed from there!

I thought it looked familiar, he tried to sell it to me in part form last time i was up there.

Nice car all round, just need to get rid of those skirts as soon as possible. Also we were trying to find what make the wheels are, so when you pop them off let us know. I thought TSW but who knows.

TGPlayer1 said:
just need to get rid of those skirts as soon as possible
Actually I like them so they are staying on the car

TGPlayer1 said:
Also we were trying to find what make the wheels are, so when you pop them off let us know. I thought TSW but who knows.
I'll be removing them to get them refurbed, so will find out then!

Blimey, it's been ages since I made any form of progress with anything!

Now all the damn Christmas cheer is virtually over, I can now hopefully concentrate on getting things done.

As some damn Puma owner decided to buy my lower strut brace, I had to buy another one!

I think most of us are familiar with what they look like, but here's a pic anyway!
imagejpg1_zpsd6e1ea3e.jpg

I've also bought a lump of metal piping......
imagejpg2_zps6884f034.jpg

The strut brace is going to have a section cut out of it and a small length of the pipe is going to be welded in along with some strengthening pieces.
Can anyone guess what this 'mod' is going to be for....?

CherryVimto said:
Can anyone guess what this 'mod' is going to be for....?

Storing sausage rolls? Or something turbo related?

P.S. If you wanted to keep it you shouldn't have sold it so there :p

I didn't intend on getting another Puma so quick, but never mind!

Yes, it's turbo related.... But how?

Wild E. Coyote said:
The strut brace is in way of a hose from turbo to intercooler so you are going to integrate it in the strut brace….
Yes!

This is going to be a bit of an experiment. I'm hoping to have extra pieces of metal welded on to strengthen where the brace joins the pipe. I may also look at getting a cross shaped piece of metal welded inside the pipe for extra strength if its needed.

As i noticed with my gearbox resting on the strut brace, any sort of noises are amplified through the shell, so i think there will be a fair bit of turbo noise on boost, which is a good thing. I like noises.

Latest posts

Back