New to Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righteous Magpie

Hello all,
Been looking for a reasonably priced Puma for a long time now and finally got hold of one. Just love the look of these cars (despite the tiny rear window)!
I was hesitant at first at getting a 1.7 as I've heard there can be some problems with them, including something quite serious that supposedly the 1.7 should have been taken off the market for... although so far I've only heard rumours. Would anyone be able to cast any light on what this problem could be?
I'm so glad that I overlooked these rumours, since the car was brilliant in the test drive and I couldn't fault anything about it, even after going through the checklist of common problems with the Puma wiki.
Any problems to look out for in the future with the Puma would be very much appreciated, as I'm keen on keeping this car for the long haul.
Cheers!

:? Not sure what those rumours could be. Providing the car is serviced correctly and looked after they last like any other typically.

Typical things, rust, cambelt, HCV, bushes, top mounts, drop links, discs, pads

There were some issues with very early cars having cylinder problems, but this was rectified long-long ago. The 1.7 is a very tough unit if looked after. Be strict with the oil and cambelt changes and it'll serve you well! Oh, and it is an utter gem of an engine!

Ah that may very well have been it. The one I've bought is a 2000 reg with (remarkably) only 37000 miles on the clock and 1 previous owner. I assume by 'long-long ago' you mean older than that, right Arch Bishop?

I'll be picking the car up on Monday as the dealer is putting it through an MOT so I'll be posting a picture to my profile at some point after that.
Thanks for the info and quick responses anyway!

I think it was more to do with the affect petrol had on the nikasil linings originally but even then I thought it was all hearsay and more relevant to BMWs.

I had a 99, 00 and 00 with no issues and there are plenty of 97, 98's still around.

Righteous Magpie said:
Ah that may very well have been it. The one I've bought is a 2000 reg with (remarkably) only 37000 miles on the clock and 1 previous owner. I assume by 'long-long ago' you mean older than that, right Arch Bishop?

Yep, early ones apparently had problems but they would have been fixed under warranty at the time anyway. Mine's a 97/98 and now has just over 30 miles on the clock... as it's just flicked over the 100,000 mile mark.

Back