New Year. New cars. Input required.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a BMW/PSA jobby. From memory, I think it's used in the 207 GTi, the DS3 and the 2007 onwards Mini range.

Neil said:
Do you mean the RCZ? I look forward to your thoughts on this Rob, it's a car I've been interested in for a while now.

You can forget your interest.

RCZDemo.jpg

I went for a trundle today as notified earlier. One of my biggest problems is that as I am fresh from a bout of training BMW Dealer Staff, I spent more time assessing the failings of the very young salesman who was presenting the RCZ to me. Car not ready, he was with a customer so I had to wait, he never even tried to qualify my needs, no sensible walk-round, minimal fuel, no route prepared, he didn't even know the basic facts of the car. Lamentable.

Externally it looks quite nice. At least it's different, not a standard eurobox. Internally it is so-so, just not quite there. There are hints of retro about the interior, with a very stylish if a little out-of-place clock, but the whole layout didn't seem particularly ergonomic, and I hate cars where you can't adjust the seat until the ignition is on. Brand new of course, but didn't smell of quality leather, even though that was the interior material.

Then there is the handbrake

RCZGearstick.jpg

What were they on when they designed that?

This was the 200 bhp petrol. Of course it's a huge mistake to test drive any car having just stepped-out of a 996. I tried to be analytical, but it's a slug. It felt nowhere near as responsive as an FRP despite the nearly 33% power advantage, the steering is very light and rather nasty. The handling seemed pretty fair, but I couldn't do anything to creative with sales-boy sat next to me.

If you like boots, this one is huge.

So, flat, uninvolving, unexciting, disappointing.

Shame

Neil said:
How about something entirely different and characterful? Something like this for instance...

3428354-3.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3428354.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or if you're feeling brave, perhaps a TVR of some description?

YES, JUST YES

Shame :-(

I guess 1.6 litres isn't enough in a car of that size, even with a turbo.

I think the whole ethos of the car is alien to what you and I appreciate.

It looks great (If you like the style) but it really doesn't walk the walk. Hyundai Coupe springs to mind.

Latest posts

Back