Novice mechanic... advice please

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputy

Hi all,
have owned my thunder for a couple of months now and I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a car so much...closest was a mark one scirocco I had many years ago. Anyway I'm after a bit of advice. I have never worked on a car mechanically before, but would really like to start. I'm only talking general servicing etc...Is the puma an easy car for complete novices, what would i need by way of tools and any advice on what i could do and what is best left to the professionals....

many thanks

Having returned to a little car fiddling after many years of not driving I think with the help of project Puma and perhaps a fiesta manual theres quite a bit you could do to save a few quid and learn.

I think basic servicing if your car needs it is a good start. Things like plugs, HT leads, coil pack, oil flush and change,coolant flush and change,basic replacement of any missing trim bits.

Possibly the first thing you should do is get the cambelt and tensioner changed professionally if its due,or you might end up in the washing the pots on the Titanic while its sinking scenario lol.

Read all the threads on each job you intend to do and take it slow making sure each job you do is successful before you move on to the next job.

oil change;

jack, axle stands
spanners, sockets, screwdrivers etc
old tub
rags

As quest has already said :)

Personally I wouldn' say its a hard job tbh, just depends how many tight, ceased or rounded off botls you have.. in that case get yourself a swear box :lol:

Back