Overheating after bleeding-Fixed!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby97

Hi guys! About 1 week ago I forgot to put the coolant tank cap after I put some water... Started cruising around, stopped for a sec to buy some stuff of the shop near me (car was running) had a friend inside, when I returned... God damn its steaming all the way! Turned her off and pop the bonnet. When I saw what I've done... No water, no cap BUT the temp gauge was sitting on "O" of NORMAL. Let it cool down for about 10 mins, pour water to the max and start cruising again. (This isn't the first time i forgot the cap but things got normal after te first time). So began the journey... The car overheats atleast 10times... 10 times overheating 10 times turning off. Fan didn't kick in... Went home and I was just about to turn it off fan kicked in with full speed WTF... Next day found the swich we installed for the first speed of the fan-working, so far so good after 5 mins in traffic-overheat just before the red zone... Got a little pissed off but its my fault so cant blame no one... Drove it 2-3 like this. Found the instructions for draining and bleeding the RIGHT way-drained all of the sh*t replaced the valve, pour to the max, started car, pour to max again, replace the cap, rev it to 3000rpm, 2 fan cycles all if the water disappeared so I turned it of. Waited to cool down, pour again to the max and started the car. Everything normal for the first 5km's and then again went in the red zone... Fan is working in 1st and 2nd speed, head gasket isn't the problem as I don't have "mayoneese" within the oil neither oil in the water, thermostat has been changed about 20k km with the water pump as well, radiator is hot all the way, pipes not have pressure as long as i can feel also they are hot as they are used to be and.. Yes idk what else to say... Its about 35C today so ok maybe the gauge can go a little up but all to the red?! Before i forgot my cap off and the system got full of air my gauge never even touched the "R" on "NORMAL" no matter how hot is it. Thank you in advance!

What year Puma is this? If it is 1998 or earlier, what month was it made? Does your car have AC (air conditioning)?

These aren't random questions I've dreamt up. :)

You dont have to have mayonaise in your oil to have a blown gasket i dont think... if the coolant was leaking out of the engine rather than into the oil you doubt you'd see anything.

Are you losing coolant?

Try bleeding the system again as Zetec SE cooling systems are notoriously difficult to bleed. It's also not a very good idea to pour cold water into a hot aluminium engine.

Yes im loosing a bit of coolant, as for the bleeding ive bleed it for the 3rd time now, preveous 2 times was by the instructions ive read on the forum. So if i have a blown head gasket its not neccesery to have water in the oil, gasket hasn't been changed since 99 i presume

Like Mr Oilburner, I reckon you need to keep bleeding it and this is the key part -

Bobby97 said:
[post]355272[/post] pipes not have pressure as long as i can feel
They should have a pressure in them, they are supposed to be full of water. If you can squeeze them and not feel that resistance, then chances are there is air there. Slightly loosening the hose jubilee clips and bleeding like that often works. Obviously don't drive around with them loose.

I was asking about the age, as early Pumas can look as though they are overheating when they are not and are actually within normal range. That doesn't apply to you.

Yes, heaters on, fans on max. Should I bleed it again till it finnaly goes normal?

Update! Bleed it again, everything ok for the first 10 mins... Again overheats and I'm sure there isn't any air in the system, pipes have pressure, everything hot, BUT when I turned on the heater it didn't blow hot, didn't blow cold either... 1st suspect-HCV
2nd suspect after I talked to my mechanic-blown head gasket... Gonna get money after 5 days, gonna change the gasket, if things are still the same, gonna change the HCV, IF things are still the same idk... Gonna think of it when we see what happens

Jesus. Change the HCV first not the head gasket. Might be a 20 quid fix that way.

What do you mean it didn't blow hot and it didn't blow cold? Did it blow at all?

How much coolant are you losing? Can you see any signs off a leak? The coolant level will drop when you bleed the system but eventually it should stop dropping.

Also, I think it's unlikely but a broken water pump could be causing the hot water not too circulate...

Bobby97 said:
[post]355328[/post] 2nd suspect after I talked to my mechanic-blown head gasket
This isn't some Soviet era tractor, you know. Head gaskets don't blow at the drop of a hat any more.

Even if you suspect it, you test your suspicion with a compression tester first, you don't just change it purely on a hunch!

danielz000 said:
[post]355340[/post] Jesus. Change the HCV first not the head gasket. Might be a 20 quid fix that way.

What do you mean it didn't blow hot and it didn't blow cold? Did it blow at all?

How much coolant are you losing? Can you see any signs off a leak? The coolant level will drop when you bleed the system but eventually it should stop dropping.
Yes, it did blow. No sign of leaks, coolant level stoped dropping. Water pump is only a couple of months old I don't think its that
Frank said:
[post]355341[/post]
Bobby97 said:
[post]355328[/post] 2nd suspect after I talked to my mechanic-blown head gasket
Even if you suspect it, you test your suspicion with a compression tester first, you don't just change it purely on a hunch!
A compression test will be done before replacing any part
ElDude at Allison Automotive said:
[post]355348[/post] this is the most bizarre diagnosis :grin:
This is the most bizzare car!

The problem is I don't know what was the problem :shock: Didn't change the HCV or the gasket-waited for payday. One day after work I just saw the temp gauge in the "O" of NORMAL. God daaaamn I must have forgot the cap again :wall: Stoped, IT WAS THERE with all of the coolant wtf?! :?: In the morning I pushed her for a run around town and Oh my god everything is normal! Not going above the "R" in these two hot days (35C). I got my faith back in her :-D

Latest posts

Back