Personal Registrations

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom B

Whats people's opinions of them? I've always thought they were abit crap and a waste of money, but ive found one that resembles my name :eek: So tempted on buying it.

But is there a strictness on plate fonts? This sounds like an obvious question but on one of the plate making websites it gives an option of 'UK' and 'Euro' fonts, Then aload of 'Show plate' fonts (Which i imagine aren't legal).

My reason being that the 1 and 3 are supposed to resemble a 'B' when next to each other (13). In the Euro style it looks awesome... but not sure if its legal :(

Anyone got any ideas about them?

Cheers :grin:

any changing of a plate to make it look like a name is illegal,you must you use correct font and spacing,if you dont it is then classified as a show plate and not a road legal plate

Ah sorry, just done abit more digging and there is a standard font that is to be used. Never mind :(. Just to be clear i wasn't 'changing' anything about the plate, was just asking if there was more than one legal font that could be used.

I have 'personal' registrations on both the Jagdeo and the Uber-Volks.

But definitely never anything that 'resembles' a name. I agree, that really is naff (Especially all the Garys with Irish GAZ plates)

Mine are just a convenient way of undating the car, also having been brought up on six digit plates I always prefer them to anything with seven digits.

martinthrapston said:
any changing of a plate to make it look like a name is illegal,you must you use correct font and spacing,if you dont it is then classified as a show plate and not a road legal plate

I ran my private plates on my audi originally with a slightly wider gap but changed it to a set of legal plates after about a week especially after considering that it isn't worth it if you get stopped.

As martinthrapston says you need to get a set of legal plates which have the correct BS marking and the correct font and spacing they will also usually have the suppliers name printed on them with there postcode / address.

My spacing is not 'legal' nor do I have any BS marks.

I have never had a moments problem with them.

911Plated.jpg

I had no problems with my spacing :),but still changed my plate.Never got stopped - but you never know when you will ..... think I got it wrong about BS .....

( british standards - not bullshit lol)

It needs to meet BSAU145d Standards to be road legal and MOT compliant.

I get a bit fed up of them. Especially in Southall, where I work. Every second car has one. My view is that if you're driving a car less than say £5k you should've spent the money it costs on your cars mechanics and roadworthiness (they are usually death traps) and if you are driving a posh motor, well, I'm already jealous, and now with the plate I think you're just a flash c**k.

If you want your name on your car, make a sign in the back window, it's cheaper than the exorbitant amounts for plates. I kind of get the plates that match a car, but only if it's a car worth showing off about. And that begs the question, is a £2k Puma worth spending that money on when it could be spent on maintaining the car, which would end up with a better performing car and therefore more enjoyment. As opposed to a yellow/White piece of plastic which is just a way of showing off.

Anyone with illegally spaced number who has not been caught is very lucky as if you get followed by a cop car with anpr it picks it up by default, then your pulled.

Then long may my luck hold. I have had a couple of kerbside interviews with the boys in blue (over other matters), neither seemed particularly interested in the plates - I guess as they are still easy to read and no bolt-heads or running together has been done.

Your plate looks like any other to me in that each digit looks uniform to each other regarding spacing plus your not trying to make a word out of several digits by shoving them together or increasing the spacings like a lot you see which are clearly not displayed correctly. That is probably the reason yours haven't got mentioned and others have. If they look ok - which yours do to me - then I can't see any problem.....that's what the police would probably think too unless you had a complete jobsworth who had a built in ruler in his eye and didn't like the look of you....lol.

Hollywood said:
I get a bit fed up of them. Especially in Southall, where I work. Every second car has one. My view is that if you're driving a car less than say £5k you should've spent the money it costs on your cars mechanics and roadworthiness (they are usually death traps) and if you are driving a posh motor, well, I'm already jealous, and now with the plate I think you're just a flash c**k.

If you want your name on your car, make a sign in the back window, it's cheaper than the exorbitant amounts for plates. I kind of get the plates that match a car, but only if it's a car worth showing off about. And that begs the question, is a £2k Puma worth spending that money on when it could be spent on maintaining the car, which would end up with a better performing car and therefore more enjoyment. As opposed to a yellow/White piece of plastic which is just a way of showing off.

I dont think thats a valid point to be fair. My puma is fine mechanically and is perfectly roadworthy. Just because it costs less than £5k dosent make it a death trap :? Dont know how you've come to that conclusion.

The one i was looking at was T13 RKR, Spelling (T Barker) with abit of imagination :oops: But with the plate 'tweaked' it may look better :lol: The more i look at it though the more i think its abit crappy haha!

the plate that just about spells my surname was up for £15k on the dvla website and a week later it was on a trader's website for £20k

the next thing I knew it was on a Merc

some peeps have more money than sense!

(I would have liked it though!)

Bah! Foiled again by the Yipster. I did see a soft top merc with the number plate essentially saying "oral sex" and one that said "M25 CRP" once.

I dont think thats a valid point to be fair. My puma is fine mechanically and is perfectly roadworthy. Just because it costs less than £5k dosent make it a death trap Dont know how you've come to that conclusion.

I didn't say yours was a death trap, I was referring to the vehicles in Southall! We stopped a guy in a 1.0L VW Polo which was full of rust with bald tyres and had been lowered by chopping the springs, but he had a £1500 numberplate!

But my real point is that it's a waste of money. Unless you change your name via deed poll to T13RKR, then it's only going to be you and friends that know it's your name, and they'd probably know your face anyway! I just think the money could be better spent, if not on mechanics, then maybe on a really thorough professional rustproofing to keep your car in the top condition it's in.

Back