Poorly puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuvy

My Puma has been in storage for 8 months. Iv put a fresh battery on and fresh fuel but it starts first click then cuts out as the revs drop the same thing happens each time and if you try to rev it at all it stalls

Where should I look first?

When you actually rev the engine... or when it is revved and the accelerator is released..?

If it is after the accelerator is released (wont idle)....
Check the ICV (Idle Control Valve). When the butterfly plate in the throttle body closes the ICV opens allowing air to bypass the butterfly plate and in to the engine, basically controlling the idle.

If this has failed or is jammed (which I would suspect after being in storage) it may not be allowing the idle air to bypass the butterfly plate causing it to stall (air starvation).

It is mounted to the inlet with 2x10mm bolts with its electrical connector being on the end of it.
Remove it and clean it with carb cleaner or similar (but I would check what to use first as I can't remember).

Debrit/rust in the tank may have blocked the fuel filter , When was that last changed? I would recommend after first cleaning the idle control valve with carb cleaner. If the problem remains, then replace the fuel filter.

Thank you both for your replies.

When you start the car it starts as per normal then cuts out. If you try and rev it it cuts out even quicker

And if the problem still remains, assuming you can hear the fuel pump whirring away before you start the car to rule out a possible fuel pump issue, then check/crack open the shrader valve on your injector rail to see if fuel is actually getting there to start with. Be carefull not to have fuel pi$$ing out everywhere though :lol: One person checking, one person turning on ignition - no need to start car iirc
(FYI:- left hand side looking on front of engine/car, usually has blue plastic cap on, basically same type of valve as a car tyre)

Will give it a go this weekend. The fuel pump sounds like it should. I will clean out the icv too and then on with a few little jobs ivgot to do on her

Back