Possible Wheel Bearing Issue?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedypete101

I've recently noticed that as I go around corners there is a weird noise coming from the back of the car and a very slight vibration. It originally happened only as I took the car around tight corners and roundabouts. The noise is a sort of dull scraping noise lasting no more than 1/3 of a second (shorter the faster I'm going) and seems to become faster and more frequent the faster the car is travelling.

My only guess is that its a wheel bearing issue or some other issue with the wheels/tyres/brakes/other expensive-to-fix component. Originally it happened only when going around corners but now it happens at speeds of up to about 60MPH.

I've not noticed any change in the cars handling but its almost as if something is to tight/loose on the back wheels? I have recently (3 months ago 1.5k miles ago) changed the wheels to some 15" replacement ones, but I've not touched the brakes or other components at all!

The things I have not checked are that the wheels are tightened to the correct torque settings and that the tracking is not out.

The car has not had any huge bumps or gone over speed bumps too quickly although it gets a hell of a lot of motorway use between Cheltenham and Coventry and there are the bits where bridges are joined to the carriageway which make a bit of a bump as you go over them but I cant think that they would make much difference?

Other that this I cant think of a better way of describing the problem?

Any help would be great

Hmm, hopefully not cos wheel bearings are an expensive fix I'm told.

If it is the wheel bearing is there any sure fire way to tell and if so, how and where would I go about getting the problem sorted?

Rear bearings are relatively easy enough to change if you can get the 30mm hub nut off, it's the fronts that are a pain to do!

Guide here:
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7184" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok that's a relief - At what point should they actually be changed because its not really a 'problem' as such, just a weird noise?

Also where can i get the replacement bearings from?

Rear bearings are cheap to fix and a fairly easy job to do.

If you get a garage to do it MAKE SURE!!!!....they torque the hub nut up to 235nm. I told a garage to do this and they ignored MY advice and torqued it to the wheel nut setting of only 90nm despite me telling them twice!!. This resulted in my wheels nearly falling off!!!!

does sound like wheel bearing issues...

You may be able to get the bearings from a motor factors... from Ford theyr £97 each as i'll be getting mine done in the next week or so on the rear...

Don't get the febi bilstein ones though.

Make sure you get new Dust caps as well inside for them. It cost me about £50-60 for the pair to eb done at my local garage

zara#014 said:

You may be able to get the bearings from a motor factors... from Ford theyr £97 each as i'll be getting mine done in the next week or so on the rear...

That's appalling! And you're willing to pay that?

Z has as a FRP- the more origanal they are the more valuable they are in my view.

I had my rear wheel bearing replaced on my FRP for £50 all in.

I didn't even consider how much the bearings cost.

where was that from Matt?

Chris (eldude) has quoted me £120 per side as I was told the ABS tone ring and something else had to be changed aswell :?

Shade said:
zara#014 said:

That's appalling! And you're willing to pay that?

The FRP I own has always been kept well and parts replaced with Ford parts, I was merely stating a quote inc a price from Ford, if thats appaulling then thats your opinion.

I do need a tone wheel too and that wasn't changed at the time.

To be honest it was a guy I know who works as a senior Ford mechanic.

As I say though my tone wheels are worn and have not yet been changed.

I had a quote from a Ford dealer last year of over £240 to replace one wheel bearing on my ex FRP. I walked rather quickly out the showroom, and got it done at a local garage for £60.

red said:
I do need a tone wheel too and that wasn't changed at the time.

To be honest it was a guy I know who works as a senior Ford mechanic.

As I say though my tone wheels are worn and have not yet been changed.

nee worries cheers mate :eek:k:
I am still waiting on a quote from my mate who owns a local garage so we shall see!

Scotty1.7 said:
Don't get the febi bilstein ones though.

Make sure you get new Dust caps as well inside for them. It cost me about £50-60 for the pair to eb done at my local garage

Don't blame Febi Bilstein for wrongly fitted rear bearings. I've have no trouble with mine, having fitted them correctly (complete with oil seals and dust caps) and torqued them up 235 Nm.
The fronts are fine as well. :wink:

Would something like this...

> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-PUMA-1-4I-1-7I-16V-97-03-REAR-WHEEL-BEARING-KIT-N-/380252813030?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5888d576e6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

be suitable for replacing the rear wheel bearings?

If not could someone kindly suggest a better alternative.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back