Project Puma: Black & Red [Chris AKA Tyeboi] [Picture Heavy]

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you managed to do your gearbox yet mate, i did mine today, took 6 hours, what a BALL ACHE!!! And dont get gear oil on you, it stinks! The 2 pac paint i used was still a color and a laquer, but it used an acid catalyst to make it go harder then a rattler, but maybe there are a few different types. A big tip from me would be to get a mop, and a tube/bottle of G3 and G10 rubbing compound. Make sure you allow to dry for a good few days, it will look dull, but once you get to mopping it, as long as you have no runs in the paintwork, you can make it look flawless. I took mine to a proffesional spray shop to get some other bits done, and they said they would put money on it that it werent done out of a can.

Can i ask what made you decide to stop at a pump and take a pic of your wheel in this pic????? LOL
IMG_0108.jpg

TyeBoi said:
I will have a look for you paul when your up here

Cheers Chris, as Scotty, it may be a shocker on it's way out. As we're changing them anyway it may be good timing having the new ones. Had no problems since I first felt it but I've been taking it easy anyway. I have a sneaky feeling that it may be a shot bearing just after I think I've cured the problems with the rears...lol.

lol sounds like fun!

errol I havent i'm afraid!

thanks for the painting tips.. going to get some quotes on the arches but after talking to my mate at the garage I was thinking how nice it would be just to save the money I would spend on paint etc and get a fibreglass FRP kit.... hmmm many options! not got the time at the moment sadly. need a 1.4 gearbox though aswell!

and the wheel photo was because the wheel was touching the arch with my mate in the car on his own... thats why I removed the wheels spacers so it can go in the arch properly.

oh and I broke down in nottingham last night... brakes locked on and I couldnt move the car!.... got towed home and replaced the master cylinder and servo. bled the brakes and now just needs some running in as I put new APEC disks and pads on the back aswell.

hmmmm what can i add to the car or change to get that track look except for a massive livery.

i would like to tactically placed stickers but so far I haven't liked any but the tow stickers lol.

With the way your cars been running lately, i think the Tow stickers are the most apropriate!!! :lol:
The main things i think make a car look like a race car are big brakes, low suspension, decals, wide track, roll cage, race seats, and harnesses!! You already have most those things.

haha yeah I do :) i dunno its missing something but its nothing im too concerned about lol.

and yeah very funny errol ! I actually did saw to the RAC guy look ive got it ready for you lol.

Lol!!! :lol:
Good luck with the gearbox change mate, i know youll get it sorted, just have patience with it! I think your car looked better with the decals, you need to get some bigger ones made up, i know it wasnt to everyones taste, but i think it made your car stand out more. If you do, let me know, im thinking of doing something different with mine, but not sure what yet.

yeah i have no idea what I want to do with my cosmetics at the moment mate too many ideas!

ur car is a little famous round here though!

people who had been at santa pod this weekend said a green turbo puma was fucking rapid.... lol i said yeah its errols a mate of mine... quick aint it lol.

Ha ha, the little green beast is getting a name for itself!! I've met loads of sound people from racing, I need to do something else, as the sleeper thing isn't quite going to plan anymore!

Did you get the box done mate? I've been thinking, I might have a go at making my own box, so if your not planning on doing anything with your old box, can I have it for "experimenting" with??

all depends on if it works dude :) but if so then yes of course! bout time I did you some favours!

yeah fuck the sleeper look! get mean with that badboy!

Nice project mate loving this one. Can i ask where did you get your luggage net from that you have behind the front seats?

lol erm... how good are you with a soldering iron and a steady hand? they aren't exactly hard to do just tedious and can break very easily especially when making them.

if you decide to go forth with doing it then let me know and I will get some details up for you.

and thanks rapid. ebay for the helmet net mate.

Did a compression test today and I have 125psi on all cylinders... is this good or bad as I was told 120 is ok but under that is looking a bit poor.

atleast if they are worn there is no imbalance.

lol appatrently not... needs to be 150 - 170 ideally and a few other people have reported 200psi on theres... laaaaame..

maybe the shitty fuelling issues crossed with tesco fuel and me driving it hard has resulted in a knackered set of linings...

nevermind I will just run it into the ground while I fix the main issues like clutch and gearbox then all the knocking noises then the roll cage and interior, then I will sort a new motor out or fix the body work depending on its condition.

tbh though I can't be arsed with an expensive fragile puma engine that can't be rebuilt unless a new block is used or you search half of the UK for a very low milage one.

I am thinking just get a 2.0 focus black top or something similar and stick that in. ( I have not researched this yet so dont bite my head off)

any ideas for an engine change that has potential for around 130BHP - 200BHP safely with the aid of a gas flowed head, cams and the other standard upgrades. ( possible supercharger at a later date once things are safe and reliable)

What..like this!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-2003-2004-FORD-FOCUS-RS-2-0-PETROL-ENGINE-3B5-97-/170513032031?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b35e635f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit pricey :shock:

or how about this????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-Ford-Focus-MK2-2-0LTR-ST170-ENGINE-complete-/320585284088?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aa45f39f8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or even better...this????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-ST-2006-COMPLETE-ENGINE-AND-GEARBOX-/170529426757?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b4588d45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lol ;)

mmmm....what about this brand new engine???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-1-8-ZETEC-ENGINE-MK1-1999-2005-BRAND-NEW-/310247409547?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483c2fc78b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and probably the best option at the price it's currently at, FORD Fiesta ST (150BHP) 1999cc 16 valve engine AND ST GEARBOX complete with all ancillaries including air con pump, alternator, air box, inlet & exhaust manifold, injectors, fuel rail and more!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiesta-ST-150-Duratec-engine-AND-gearbox-ancillaries-/260657866157?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb06b65ad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm thinking this would be nice though, if it would squeeze into the Puma ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-996-GT2-TWIN-TURBO-ENGINE-2001-/250690834819?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5e569183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris we really need to talk mate, I've done tons of research on engines, I've already brought myself a new engine, good for big power, and not much heavier then the puma engine! If you can get hold of 1, we can both do the conversion together! Or if not, I'll do a new project thread on how hard or easy it is to get a 2.0 duratec into a puma. Blacktop is a heavy engine, but duratec is very similar, and because the exhaust is on the same side as puma,& ports are the same, I think your miltek will bolt straight on!! Also I've got a sneaky suspicion that the ib5 will also bolt straight on, but I'll keep you posted!!

PumaNoob?..Them links I posted above, the 4th link showing the brand new 1.8 zetec engine...will that fit the Puma with very little mods or is it a direct swap as I believe it's also 125bhp as standard (although other research says less).
As you get nearly everything with it i.e. clutch etc, hasn't this got to be a cheap replacement for a Puma should the current one go bang, or just simply a new engine for very little money??

Also done some research and read that the latest 2007 on Mondeo Zetec 1.6 has the same sigma engine as the Puma (obviously smaller capacity) but has a 125bhp rating too which might be a good engine to tune up as it should be up to the job of tuning more than the bored out 1.7 but has the benefit of the same power to start with....assuming of course one could be found.

Just throwing some ideas out there but there seems to be a lot of possible options and I'm lost after only an hours research...lol.

thanks for the links paul! I love your enthusiasm!

yes pumanoob we do need to talk.

to buy a second hand puma motor is like £250 and even then the linings might be shagged so rebuilding it is not an option.

I am thinking of a 2ltr focus engine because of the cheapness of it all. get new engine mounts and a decent manifold then have it custom connected in the middle to the miltek. Obviously I want to rebuild it first though before it goes in and replace all the gaskets, a gas flowed head and high lift cams, ARB bolts and re ring the lot. I want to be running a decent amount of power N/A then at a later date supercharge or turbo it but thats more money than I can afford right now and a lot of custom work.

obviously the 2.0 ST170 focus engine would be awesome so thats the 2.0 duratec idea that definitely tempts me but it will be more expensive to get my hands on and for parts.

the ST150 engine is just too rare and too expensive to be honest. unless you can tell me otherwise. £400+ before the rebuild and no parts at scrappies + only 150 BHP compared to the cheap focus at 125BHP standard at only £150 for the engine with lots of parts available at scrappies.

they have all been fitted in the past but it just depends on what will be needed to fit them..

I would like to remove everything puma related to be honest to rid me of the shitty overfuelling problems Ive had which is probs why the engine has been so worn down inside.

new engine with a new management system and a new fuel pump will sort it all out.

Latest posts

Back