Project Puma 'Black'

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swapped front brake pads both sides for Apex, hoping the prob has now gone. Took the opportunity to clean my mudflaps and change both side repeater bulbs. I had hoped to get some dynax in there, but it is just too cold!

What I did do though, was to give the whole car a good polish, firstly with AG Super Resin Polish, then with SG Ultra Deep Shine. Also gave the glass a coat of RainX.

Based upon my impressions so far, the wind deflectors are a sound way to avoid the window rubber problem.

Tried to take some pics, but just too dark by the time I had finished.

Actually got chance to take some pics today, also a couple of the silver / amber side repeaters;

31-12-2009008.jpg

31-12-2009009.jpg

31-12-2009013.jpg

31-12-2009005.jpg

One of my clean looking interior, excuse the dangling footwell lamp, I need to replace the velcro on the lens;

31-12-2009002.jpg

And a few of my freshly polished paintwork;

31-12-2009019a.jpg

31-12-2009020a.jpg

31-12-2009026a.jpg

31-12-2009027a.jpg

31-12-2009030a.jpg

31-12-2009031a.jpg

Pics in the car park are a bit rubbish, just couldn't get the settings quite right

Fitted the Puma Futura rear seats at the weekend, along with a new gear lever gaitor, and tried to fit an ST170 leather handbrake gaitor, but they are a difference shape. While I was doing this I made the mistake of leaving my interior light on, so when I went to the car the next day the battery was dead.

Picked up a £38 charger from Halfords last night, hooked it up and the lights (on the charger) were flashing, which I didn't necessarily think was good, but I left it connected for a couple of hours and bingo, started right up! Left the car running for a while after that so hopefully it will be ok now.

One problem with the batttery cover that I am using is that it is a bit awkward to get to the battery terminials as to remove the cover you also need to remove the retaining strap.

Also received the heated seat kit today, looking forward to starting to get these Recaro's rebuilt, just need the hog ring pliers that I ordered on eBay a week ago. While I appreciate the guy quotes several days to ship, it nonetheless still makes me a bit cross. I still need to get a few replacment parts, but these pliers are the main thing delaying matters.

On the plus side, I received the FRP cam locking tool from Chris today, so I can now plan to get those fitted at some point in the hopefully not too distant future.

Very minor update, got a new key today;

TorchKey002.jpg

Just need to get it cut. I will use this with my Transit Connect remote. Have been using it with the original spare key, but I think this one will be nicer.

Also got this;

MinichampsPuma001.jpg

Quite chuffed, now I need to get a 1/43 EsCos to nick the wheels off!

Ok, so the latest thing has been rebuilding the Alchemy Futura Recaros to sell, and building some Midnight Black Futura Recaro's to go in my car. The Alchemy ones are now finished, and ready to go (see post in For Sale section), but I haven't finished the Midnight Black ones yet as I need the thigh reinforcements moved over onto some replacement bases.

The Midnight Black ones have brand new covers, and are largely build on RS2000 frames, but with new plastic trim parts. The best of the other trim parts were used to rebuild the Alchemy seats.

I am part way through fitting a Waeco heated seat kit to Midnight Black seats, and so far it seems to have gone in quite well.

Anyhow, enough waffle, here are some pics of the progress so far...

PumaFuturaHeatedRecaroSeats008.jpg

Backrests, largely complete, just need the centre pads and tilt levers fitting

PumaFuturaHeatedRecaroSeats005.jpg

Centre pads, with heating element installed

PumaFuturaHeatedRecaroSeats003.jpg

Front of seat base centre pad

PumaFuturaHeatedRecaroSeats004.jpg

Rear of seat base centre pad

PumaFuturaHeatedRecaroSeats001.jpg

Front trims ready for refitting, with heated seat switches

Waiting for the new plastic trim parts to arrive, and the bases to get modified, then I can hopefully finish them and get them fitted.

I now have the Recaro backrests fully assembled, complete with heater pads, all ready to be bolted onto the bases;

PumaFuturaHeatedRecaroSeats.jpg

Next step is to get the bases back from the garage, these Recaro seats use a standard base but with thigh supports welded on, the original bases were LHD and the runners had been cut up, so I am getting the supports changed over to some replacement seat bases. Then I can fit the foam and cover to the new modified base, fit the backrests and bingo, seats will be complete. All that I will need to do then is to sort the wiring in the car for the seat heaters and drivers seat power height adjust.

Now have my torch key cut and working, so am quite pelased about that. Aside from the seats, my next projects will be fitting a Waeco MT-2000

http://www.waeco.com/tmp/MT-2000_E_10s_05.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which gives you four flashes from just a touch on the indicators.

Also planning on getting a TPMS system, probably this one;

http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Electronics-P409S-Pressure-Monitoring/dp/B002DYH586/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1265042889&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Collected the drivers side seat base on Friday, set about rebuilding the seat on Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

All was going well, except that there are some spacers on the sides of the standard seat base, which aren't there on the Recaro base, so those needed to be removed, and I am still waiting for a couple of bits of trim.

Anyhow, got the seat all built up, and removed the original drivers seat, first job was to fit the "top hat riser" kindly donated by Megaboost, this bolts into the original fittings, and raises the mounting mount for the rear inner bolts;

RecaroSeatMountings003.jpg

Next step was to swap the pre-tensioner over from my standard seat, doing this without knackering the trim on the original seat was a bit tricky, but we got there, with that fitted, we could install the seat. Everything went well, except that the holes in the carpet aren't quite right. As I will probably refit the standard seats before selling the car, I didn't want to get the stanley knife out, but this isn't a huge issue as the differences aren't hugely obvious;

RecaroSeatMountings005.jpg

RecaroSeatMountings006.jpg

RecaroSeatMountings007.jpg

And the end result;

RecaroSeatMountings001.jpg

Things aren't quite finished, as I haven't done anything about connecting up the seat heater or the power height adjust just yet, but I will probably get those done at some point in the not too distant future, as well of course as sorting the passenger seat!

Comments welcome, as always, thanks for reading.

Top job!! really love these seats...if i had a few more spare bones would have bought the set you have for sale.

Less of an update, more of a "look what I have to fit next"

Orange TPMS, this not only shows tyre pressure, but also temperature;

OrangeTPMS002.jpg

OrangeTPMS001.jpg

While it looks like some dodgy Chinese rubbish, these guys actually make a lot of the OEM stuff, so it should be pretty good. Just need to work out where to put the display.

I have also received the Waeco MT-2000 (touch indicator unit), I have both of these to fit to the Puma, and to the CR-V.

And a few recent pics of the car, awful shot of the inside, would be better if I took the door off, but that would be a bit extreme! You can see however that the colour match to the remaining original interior looks good;

11-02-2010010a.jpg

11-02-2010006a.jpg

11-02-2010001a.jpg

11-02-2010007.jpg

So, jobs to do;

Get the o/s/r arch repaired with the panel from Germany

Fit passenger side Recaro (once I have finished rebuilding it)

Sort out the wiring for the heated seats and the drivers seat power heigth adjust

Fit FRP cams

Fit FRP tailpipe

Fit TPMS system

Fit Waeco touch indicator system

Paint side seams

Rust proof front of car, wheel houses, etc.

I have just had a couple of wheels refurbished prior to fitting new rubber, so I will give them a polish and hopefully get the TPMS kit fitted at the same time. Also need to fit some new, matching front tyres to the Honda, so will try to get that done soon too, again, once I have polished some of the spare wheels.

Comments welcome, as always!

And I am sure there are a number of other things that I also need to do, as always!

The tire pressure system you are about to install is it aftermark set?
Or do you have to remove the wheel?

Was looking at some of these earlier the chinies version but was poor quality.
I did look at the orange, looks like quality ( used in rally cars ).

PS: Does it give alarm if the tire psi is to low?

The sensors are mounted inside the wheel/tyre, and replace the valves.

There is a digital display, and an audible alert I believe if the tyre looses pressure rapidly. I will know more when I have the first set fitted.

These are from amazon.com, but IIRC you will need to get them shipped to an address in the US.

Must be the best way doing it :--), I was looking at the caps , they are not a relayable as the one you orderd but I want it easy to switch from my winter wheels to summer weels.

One question, are you familiar with the indirect ABS-based TPMS ?
Is it possible to install for the puma?
They use the signal from the speed senors in some way.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_monitors.htm

Here's how the indirect ABS-based TPMS works. If a tire loses air, the diameter of the tire shrinks slightly causing it to turn at a slightly faster rate than the others. But on most applications, a tire has to loose anywhere from 8 to 14 pounds of air pressure before there's enough of a difference in diameter to be detected by the wheel speed sensors. It depends on the type of tires, tire diameter and aspect ratio, and the sensitivity of the ABS system.

Low profile tires with short stiff sidewalls change diameter less than tires with taller aspect ratios and more compliant sidewalls. Consequently, a loss of 10 psi in a low profile tire may only change the diameter of the tire less than 1 mm (0.040 inches). Most ABS systems cannot detect changes smaller than 1 mm. For this reason, indirect ABS-based tire pressure monitoring systems are not as sensitive as direct TPMS systems that have a pressure sensor inside each wheel.

ABS-based systems must also relearn the rotational "signature" of each tire when tires are replaced, repaired or rotated. This requires the driver to push a reset button on the dash or to follow a menu on the driver information display. It's also essential that the tires all be properly inflated before the recalibration procedure takes place -- otherwise the module won't recalibrate correctly and may not detect a low tire.

I have heard of the indirect type, but I haven't come across any aftermarket version, and I don't think you could get the signals out of the Ford ABS controller, could be wrong though.

RE: your winter wheels, just get two kits. I have a second pair of front tyres, so I have actually bought three kits, as that was the cheapest way to get extra sensors.

Latest posts

Back