Project Puma 'Black'

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeap think you are right have been searching the net for aftermarks sett but cant find any,
I also se alot of disadvantage by the direct type.

I dont have a wheel tire pressure machine have to go to the local shop to make it done
they carge with 10 pound each wheel . 10GBP*8 wheels= 80pound totall.
I guess its not so much but its just said money.:-(

Mini update, been away for a couple of weeks, so not done much with the car, but I have bought a few bits.

Received the last of my Recaro trim bits from Al (WideKa), so the drivers seat is now properly rebuilt, aside from the wiring for the height adjust and seat heater.

The rear shelf on later cars is quite a light grey colour, so I bought a black one, it is a couple of shades darker than I would have liked, but I think it looks better than the grey;

BlackRearShelf004.jpg

BlackRearShelf002.jpg

Excuse the crap in the boot and on the back seat, but you get the idea.

Also received an FRP engine cover, which is much neater than the one I had, stuck a Ford Racing badge on, looks better than I expected;

FRPEngineCover001.jpg

FRPEngineCover002.jpg

As ever there are many jobs to do, hoping to get the TPMS kit fitted over the next few weeks.

Also just bought a spare rear bumper, I have a Bosch Park Pilot reversing sensor system to fit, and will probably get the new bumper painted at the same time as I get the o/s/r arch repaired.

Just been reviewing my to do list, it still seems long, as follows;

FRP tailpipe trim
FRP camshafts

These will hopefully get done next time the car visits the garage for a few days, recent visits have been a bit shorter.

Orange Electronics P409S tyre pressure monitoring system
New front GoodYear Eagle GSD3 195/45R16 tyres for the front of the car
Two refurbished wheels

Hoping to get these fitted on Saturday, still need to collect one of the wheels, and get some polish on them before they have tyres fitted. Not sure about the wiring for the TPMS display, but that will probably get sorted around the same time as the power outlet, etc.

While I am down at the garage, I am hoping to collect the welded base, so I can finish rebuilding;

Rebuilt Puma Futura Recaro passenger seat in "Midnight Black"
This should be refitted pretty soon after I have rebuilt it, doesn't take long to change a seat over, especially now I have some spare pretensioners - when I fitted the drivers seat, I didn't have any spare, so had to remove the original item, which took time.

I have a major interior wiring project to undertake, which will include fitting;
Earlier heater control panel, without power outlet
Power outlet in glove compartment
Waeco MagicTouch MT2000 touch indicator module

At the same time, I plan to sort the wiring to the drivers seat power height adjust, and to;
Waeco MagicComfort MSH50 heated seat kit
Though I need to modify the loom as currently there are the four pads, which are all fitted to the seats, and have their own connections to a central loom, which includes the switches. I need to separate the loom with the switches from the loom that will remain in the car if/when the seats are removed.

Bosch ParkPilot parking sensor
These are currently painted silver, so I need to remove the existing paint, repaint in panther black, fit them to a spare bumper, then get the bumper painted, hopefully at the same time as I get the rear arch repaired.
O/S/R wheel arch repair panel
Anti-corrosion treatment to front wheelhouses & inaccessible underbody areas covered by heatshield & fuel tank

I plan to do this when things have warmed up a bit, probably after the arch has been repaired as I expect I will need to coat the repaired area too. When I refit the repainted bumper (which will have had to be removed for the repair, I will also fit;
New tail lamps

And before too much longer it is going to need another service - it never ends!

in regards to the fuel tank... get a mate lol.

awkward things to do!

I am assuming you are going to remove it and if so get a mask and possible some goggles as that vapour makes you very ill as I found out the hard way + a tip I used was cling film over the inlets of the tank which actually holds the gas in.

dont jack the tank either incase you crack it.

I used a LARGE pillow to lower it onto by hand then dragged it out from the car.

if you wasn't so far away I would come help but sadly its a bit of a trek.

any help you need then email me as you have probs noticed it goes straight to my phone.

Spent a few hours on the car over the past week or so; marked and drilled the spare rear bumper to accept the parking sensors, stripped out the luggage compartment trims, test fitted the new rear bumper to check that the parking sensors were in a useful position, washed the car with the new bumper, removed, washed the rear panel, then refitted the original bumper and washed that. I plan to get the wiring, control box and siren all mounted and replace the luggage comparment trim for the time being. I then need to remove the sensors from the spare bumper, and get them painted in Panther Black.

I haven't bothered refitting the rear mudflaps as they are a bit of a faff, and they would only need to come off again when it goes for paint; the rear track looks really wide without them!

I have also bought a new drivers side sun visor, with vanity mirror, only two screws to fit, so should be in shortly after I get it. I will then have to sort out a second mirror lamp, I have a couple spare, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Hoping to drop it off at the garage either later this week, or at the weekend, to get the TPMS fitted. Not worked out where to put the display yet, but hopefully I will come up with something. Ideally I would like to get the FRP tail pipe, FRP cams and new brake fluid done at the same time, but none are urgent so it will depend on how busy things are at the garage.

Still no more pics, but...

Dropped the car off at the garage this evening, along with the FRP cams, TPMS, spare wheel and FRP tail pipe. On order, or awaiting fitment are a pair of new GSD3's, cambelt, rocker cover gasket, oil filter and 8 litres of Mobil1 0w40.

Jobs to hopefully be undertaken are;

1. fit new tyres to the front wheels, replacing the n/s/f with the extra wheel as the n/s/f has a small scrape
2. fit TPMS sensors to all four wheels
3. renew brake fluid (not 101% happy with brake feel)
4. change oil & filter
5. fit FRP cams, as this will mean removing the cambelt, a new one will be fitted, but we aren't replacing the tensioner, etc. as it is only 18m old. A new rocker cover gasket will be fitted at the same time.
6. cut & weld FRP tailpipe to existing Milltek rear box

1-4 will definatley be done, 5 & 6 will depend on how busy they are with (paying) customer work.

I was also pleased to find that my other seat base now has the Recaro thigh supports welded onto it, so I have brought it home and hope to get it rebuilt over the next week or so.

Forgot to say that I will also be collecting new genuine air and pollen filters, which I will fit myself.

Cams I have are standards reprofiled to FRP spec, so there will be some shimming going on tomorrow. On the plus side, this should mean that my valve clearances are spot on!

Not really an update as such, I got all of my wiring stuff out last night as I am changing the phone kit in the Honda to a Parrot Mki9200, and I run a couple of other things from the same circuit, namely the Origin B2 GPS speed camera alert, and soon the TPMS.

Anyhow, while I was at it, I decided to sort out the wiring for the heated seats, and made a start, but soon decided that it was just too long and I didn't have the right connectors to shorten it as I would like;

Waecoheatedseatwiring.jpg

The blue and black wires at the bottom don't need to go anywhere, they would usually connect the seat to the car, but as I have fitted the switches on the seat, rather than on the dash, I need to shorten these quite a lot.

I also tidied up wth wiring for the ParkPilot, on my car it is all going in the one corner, so the wiring was a bit long;

BoschParkPilotWiring.jpg

Finally, having disconnected my second lambda some time ago, when changing to the TAPE ECU, I have finally decided to knock together a dummy plug to protect the socket. This is one end of my failed MIL eliminator loom, I just need to alter the length of the wires and cover in heat shrink.

PostCatLambdaPlug.jpg

Hopefully a trip to Maplin this evening will deliver the necessary bits and bats to finish these little bits, and a visit to a scrappers tomorrow will hopefully sort me out with some suitable plugs to get the seat heaters and power height adust all sorted.

The seat heater kit runs a relay, with an ignition switched power, permanent power and a relay. I was planning to run the seat heaters from the power seat position on the fuse box. Does anyone happen to know if this is permanent or ignition switched? I was certain that it was ignition switched, but now I am not so sure.

So thanks to Pat T, I now know that the power seat fuse is permanent live, had it been ignition switched I would probably just have binned the relay and taken the power direct from that fuse, as it is, I think I will take the ignition switched power from probably the heated rear window - this is just a signal feed to the relay, and still take the power from the power seat fuse.

Spoke to the garage earlier, I believe the tyres and TPMS are all done, oil is changed, brake fluid changed, cams fitted, but won't be finished until Monday as they weren't able to get a rocker cover gasket.

Trip to the breakers today found me the trim parts that I was after to go with the Recaro's, the wiring that I need to hook up the power height adjust on the drivers seat, a pair of Ghia sunvisors and a replacement drivers side mirror for the Clio that I am smoking while the Puma is at the garage.

Few pics;

GhiaSunvisors010.jpg

Above are the mirrors I just bought, turns out the new one I got is actually a drivers side mirror from a LHD car, but I plan to use the ones below, so both side have a cover over the mirror

GhiaSunvisors002.jpg

GhiaSunvisors001.jpg

I also managed to finish my lambda terminator thing;

LambdaTerminator003.jpg

Looking forward to gettimg the car back, but I have plenty to occupy me in the meantime, as I haven't done anything about rebuilding the passenger side Recaro yet, so currently the base just looks likes this;

RecaroFrameBase.jpg

Backrest is built up, but I may need to strip it down a bit to alter the route of the heated seat wiring and ensure that the boltsers are fitted properly.

Car as it stood last week, garage was closed until today, hoping to get it back on Friday.

Haxey01-04-2010a.jpg

Passenger seat is now fully rebuilt, wiring is sorted on this one, and I think it looks quite neat. I still need to sort the wiring on the drivers seat when I get it back

UnderPassengerSeatWiring.jpg

Latest posts

Back