project XTC

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Neil, I have a lot to learn but the site is friendly and that makes the job easier.

BLOODY EBAY!!!! I keep going on and buying things...
noticed this last night and put a cheeky £50 + £10 postage offer in, figured I would get told where to go lol, got home today and its mine, just paid so hopefully it will get here before I go to france on saturday.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110909073206?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_859wt_956" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shanosburgess said:
big difference in size over the 1.4 parts but looked to be a direct swap out, well it did until I realised the 1.4 air box has an attachment with 2 wires coming out near the top that is not present on the 1.7!

20120703_154617.jpg

I think that is some kind of air temperature sensor... of some description. As you've probably realized, the 1.7s don't have them...

hi scuba I think its only a 50 shot... how do I upgrade it to a 100 shot?
Hi topmansparkle im guessing that the cars ecu will get the hump if its not there lol... just had a thought I wonder if the top section of the 1.4 air box will fit the lower half of the 1.7? then again that won't work either as the 1.7 mac won't fit the 1.4 air box connector
looks like I'm drilling holes and bodging bits with glue guns when I get back from france week after next ;-(
if anyone thinks of a way round it I am open to ideas

I can only assume the ECU won't like it being there as the temp sensors on the 1.7 are on the inlet manifold.

Here's an idea for you... you could cut round the part of the air box which holds the sensor... then sit this on the new air box and draw round it.... then cut it out and stick it on....:

14.jpg

It looks like the 1.4 box is slightly rounder than the one for the 1.7, but some careful trimming on the part you cut out should see it fit.

You can glue it with a hot glue gun, or use some black bodykit adhesive (tiger seal) to keep it the same colour (ish)...

Hi topman,
That was pretty much what I was thinking I would try (tempted to buy a spare 1.4 air box to mess around with and keep the standard one as it is just incase), hopefully it should be fairly straight forward (famous last words lol).

Had 2 messages from ebay to say the stereo and fitting kit have been dispatched (fingers crossed the come tomorrow or saturday, as I'm away to france next week).

The wife is still reading her 50 shades books (gentleman if you want your other halts to turn in to minxes and start demanding sex all the time, buy them a copy or ask and I will email you an electronic copy of the books, ladies if you want a copy pm me), which meant I could sneak out to the car and get on with a couple of connected jobs.

I was gifted 2 x high intensity 6 led side lights by a friend, and though I would have a go at fitting them (watched youtube video to see how to remove the light clusters), they came out nice and easy and the swap was pretty straight forward once I figured that a lamp wire was not going around the side.

20120705_220657.jpg

(Photo above taken with camera set to night mode)

Whilst I had the light cluster out I could see just how hazed over the lens was, it was time to take the 1200 grit, then the 2500 grit followed by t-cut and a quick polish.

I got one done but daylight was quickly going, and I figured I should reassemble the car hopefully before it got completely pitch black.

20120705_220606.jpg

As you can see by the picture taken literally minutes after I finished it was bloody dark lol

I will have a look at the lens cover tomorrow, I think its a lot better than it was but better is not perfect lol (photos to come when its light lol)
For the second light I might do a full set of photos showing before, during and after.

I mentioned in an audio thread that I had some 6" subs in the garage, they were purchased for a project a while ago but never used them.
Measuring the diameter (including the chassis) the speakers are 17cm's

This is them next to the box, I thought they look like they might be a bit smaller than the speaker inset.

20120705_233708.jpg

I offered them up, and I was amazed! they are a perfect fit..

20120705_233730.jpg

Obviously they will be mounted with the magnet facing in to the box.
I'm tempted to get some dynamat or the ebay equivalent to line the box and the inner wing of the car, and possibly separate the box internally with a bit of fiberglass work, also wondering if its worth just giving the inside of the box a few layers of fiberglass mat to make it more rigid, could help reduce vibration.

picture from the side

20120705_233741.jpg

Thats it for today, night one and all

The cd player fitting kit arrived today, looks like it should do the job.
Only thing was that the finish was a mat silver, but a couple of coats of clear lacquer later and its looking good.

20120706_192117.jpg

Just hope the cd player comes tomorrow.

Cd player not arrived yet, so no fitting before my holiday :-(
More ebay shopping yesterday as loving the blue side lights so much, and also looney's interior lighting mods.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120938907270?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1860wt_922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This should provide an awsome amount of light for the interior light

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120943711612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2281wt_922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I figure that i will need these for behind hvac panel and for boot light

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120944571663?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1876wt_922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is incase the wife moans about the amount of blue or i need a change lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230531663009?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are to mod the dials

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150846596753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4743wt_1058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These are to mod the clock

Shanosburgess said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120943711612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2281wt_922
I figure that i will need these for behind hvac panel and for boot light
WRONG!

Boot light (same as front side lights):
501 bulbs

Behind the HCV I believe are the same as the bulbs on the dash for the warning lights.

Got back from france last night at 1.30am, we took the rain with us lol
my wife got up this morning rang the doctors to book our daughter in as she got a manly eye while we were away (they now call you back to chat before booking appointments) and decided to take the puma to the shops, unfortunately the battery was dead :( so she took the focus, the doctors called back and said that we would need to be there in 15 mins (10 mins from the surgery door to door so not normally an issue), I loaded the kids in to the puma and tried to jump it rolling down the drive, did not work so I knocked for damo a neighbour who came out and pushed me down the end of the road to the hill... rolling... rolling... clutch out... it lives! I belted down to the surgery and unloaded the kids keeping fingers crossed that the car would restart (10 mins later my daughter was diagnosed with con-gunki-eye-tus) tried the car and it was dead :( I managed to get two women to push the car and try to bump start it but no joy... a quick call to damo saw him come to the rescue... tried pushing and bumping again... no joy
I started walking round the corner hoping to find a friendly sole at the garage to lend a hand... got round the corner and a man was trying to change the wheel on his land rover, well the wheel was changed but he had a weird problem, his bottle jack would not release so he was stranded with the wheel off the ground. he did have jump leads though. took them back and jumped the car (so glad to have a friend and neighbour like damo :) I went back round to the land rover and he was still stuck, I suggested reversing of the jack as it was under the front drivers wheel (it worked perfectly the jack slid round and collapsed and the bounce in the tyre took the strain out of the fall, two cars once again moving!).
got the car home and left it running for 20 minutes trying to get a little power in the battery (it did not work) Io then knocked on the doors of the rest of the neighbours but they all have modern cars so not one of them had a battery charger.
a quick call to timmy magic and I had one that I could pick up from witham, I once again jump started the car and set off then realised that I was running on fumes, so I pulled in to the mount hill service station (if your in Halstead the guys there are top geezers), I figured I would leave the engine running as I filled up (not the best of ideas but necessity calls), then I realised that
I needed to take the key out to get the filler cap off, I filled up and the car refused to start again, the repair guys came out of the garage and pushed me in to a service bay and hooked the car up to their snap on charger 15 minutes later and the car started, they checked and the car is putting out 13.6 volts so at least I know the alternator is working.
I got to time ok and he dug out the charger as well as a glass fuse holder for the amp that I'm going to install once I get a battery that is strong enough (I have purchased some de-ionised water and epsom salts to see if I can refurb mine over the weekend)
The car is now on charge, fingers crossed that by the morning I will be able to jump in turn it on and be on my way.

I also had a chance to instal the new sony head unit, the replacement surround seems to be a bit of a poor fit as the clips do not line up with the frame, however after bending out the cage a little its in and holding ok.
The iso adaptors were so easy to fit and made me laugh when i thought back to the days I would have been twisting wires and insulating taping sh!t together, or trying to get bullet crimps to crunch properly.

I also fitted the new blue led interior bulb (will have a look see what its like tonight)

Whilst I was away I started thinking about daylight running lights, I know some people have stuck led strips inside the lights and they look ok, but I want a bit more of an OEM look, studying a picture of the light assembly there are 5 groves that are shaped in to the light that look like they could be drilled/dremeled a little to take an led at the top.
I will try and post a pic of my idea later, thing is it will require a spare set of lights to work on as I need mine in my car for work etc (looks like I will need to separate the front clear lens from the black part to make it easier to do the ruffing out, if any one has a spare they can donate it does not need to have the lens but if it does that would be good as I can try and do a guide to getting them apart and doing the mod)

thats it for today unless I get a chance to take some pics later.

The car has been on slow charge now for 4 hours and still not turning over, fingers double crossed and prayers to the ford fairies that it will work tomorrow morning so I can drop of the kids and get to work.

I have found a place that can get me a battery for £12 + £8 postage as a favour, once I get it delivered I will swap it over and try to recondition my battery with epsom salts and de-ionised water (tutorial to follow if any one interested)

pictures of the interior with the new light on
IMG_20120717_214146.jpg

pictures of the new stereo fitted, they did not include the trim but are sending it in the post today
IMG_20120717_214158.jpg

Hopefully the led's for the clock and the dash will arrive tomorrow, I'm not looking forward to soldering the ic mounted led's but I suppose its the tricky bits that make it worth while!

decided to have a search and see if my idea for daylight running lights could work and stumbled on this photo bucket, the owner is scopo_scopo_xa , so i advise these are not my images and hope they do not mind.
4.jpg

drl3.jpg

drl2.jpg

drl1.jpg

drl4.jpg

He has also done led tail lights, and it looks like he is working on angel eyes as well, hopefully I can contact him for some info on how he did the lights (save re inventing the wheel lol)

I was using the car as normal today, having just filled up with fuel I got out of the car put a business card through a door... got back in... turned the key and the car tried to turn over but just spluttered and cut out! tried it again with a few revs and it died quicker... my heart sank and I started to think of all the things it could be.
I popped the bonnet to let it cool down (don't know why but it seems like the thing to do lol)

20120725_124313.jpg

called out the AA (thank you halifax ultimate reward account) he arrived in just under an hour... like the advert used to say he was a very nice man... a very very nice man lol
he checked the car over and it was just a bloody 10 amp fuse for the fuel pump, he checked the rest of the car over and noticed that the positive connection on the battery was not great, he took the time and cleaned both the terminal and the power cables, and then copper slip greased them ready for my new new battery when it gets here (my new battery arrived unfortunately the guy that sent it thought he would do me a favour, and sent me a diesel battery as it had higher amps and would be better for the amps going in, but it did not fit in the battery holder, I called him and he was very apologetic and has advised me to use the one he sent until, the new new one arrives and then keep the old one as a spare).

He gave me some spare fuses and I was off on my (now very happy that it was not a major issue) way.

I also emailed one of the ebay sellers as only half of my leds have arrived from china (Im itching to have a go at soldering the surface mount leds), hopefully he will send them out again, as they are probably lost in transit knowing my luck lol.

The surface mount led's arrived from china today (should have got the olympic team to bring them in lol), my wife was out with the kids e=when I got in from work so I popped out the clock and stripped it down, de-soldered the old led's and soldered on the new blue ones.
I now have a blue backlight to the clock and a flashing blue light in place of the red one, hopefully the other Led's for the dials will arrive soon (been just over a month now :(

I also pulled up in the petrol station earlier today, looked over to my passenger side mirror, and it had come off, quick search of the forum for guidance and its back on.
I will update with a pic of the clock later on when its dark.

hi top man are those hid's or zennon's either way they look schweet, did you do the running lights yourself? any chance of a guide? i'm looking to upgrade my bulbs shortly and do the running light mod.

20120802_214150.jpg

I think the clock looks good, defiantly better than green (please mr postman bring my cluster less tomorrow, pretty please)

I also thought about something to try the other day, and got around to it today
the reflector on the light was made of galvanised steel, and not very reflective, I cut up some aluminium foil and stuck it in the light.

20120802_215228.jpg

the spread pattern is better now.

I also caught up with an old friend who's mate has several scrap yards in essex, he said he has several pumas that he is breaking, and that if anyone here needs parts to make a list and he will sort prices out.
My plan is to get some headlight buckets to do the mod on and also get some spare bumpers to work on, and also some mondeo v6 breaks for the front and focus hubs etc for the rear.

Lots of projects to come!

Latest posts

Back