Puma on throttle bodies

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyb748

Hey guys 1st post on the site, got a 1.7 puma pretty much standard apart from the usual induction kit, crank breathers etc. was looking into the bike throttle body option, gsxr k2 fuel injected model is the best bodies to use. Looking for advice on running it without the mass air flow meter? Runs terribly with it disconnected which is expected but long term on throttle bodies is there away around this.
Cheers
Martin

I may be completely wrong, but without a MAF, how does the engine know how much air is going in to match the fuel supply too? I would have thought either carbed throttle bodies or a new stand alone ECU would be needed? I may be completely wrong there though....

The engine doesn't know mate that's where the problems start but even with another ecu is there something telling it how much air is being used?

your going to need a new ecu set up to run throttle bodys and also dyno time to set everything up properly,not cheap either approx 1500

Alternatively make up an intake manifold that you can fit the maf to the front of, either like this http://atpowershop.co.uk/catalog/zolder-65mm-shallow-airbox-p-192.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or this http://atpowershop.co.uk/catalog/silverstone-cylinder-airbox-p-82.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they ain't cheap, but put a silicon hose on the front, put your maf on that then the induction kit. All you'll have to do is then is make the throttle linkage and plug the injectors in and you should be good to go, I would suggest getting it remapped

The search function on this forum might show you most of the answers. :thumbs:

No you dont need the maf, and no you dont need a new ecu. We have ours set up and running for less than £200. It needs a bit of fettling to get it runing perfectly but a bit of manual tuning will sort it- no mapping needed.

phil185, you posted the following;
No you dont need the maf, and no you dont need a new ecu. We have ours set up and running for less than £200. It needs a bit of fettling to get it runing perfectly but a bit of manual tuning will sort it- no mapping needed.

can you pleas point me in the right direction of how to make my 1.7puma engine run on the gsxr1000 throttle bodies i have fitted, with the standard ecu?

on the standard ECU its uses the MAF sensor to know how much air is going into the engine and works out engine load based on that to control fuelling and ignition. Disconnecting the MAF forces the ECU into a degraded mode of operation where it is forced to pretend to receive a "safe" value from MAF.

This will provide far from optimal control for fuelling / ignition but will allow the engine to run.

Same happens if you disconnect the throttle sensor - engine will run - but like a bag of shite!

I'm thinking about bike TBS on std ECU. It will use std TPS on TBS and MAF using custom made section. I think its the only way (and most cheap:) )to use std MAF and ECU but i dont see any reasons why it will be better than standart intake system withot throttle bodies... Any suggestion about this scheme?

Forgot to add Idle valve but it will be connected to tbs

i have been thinking of making a plenum and using the std maf, in one way i think it may be awaste of time, with no extra, but, loads of production cars use this setup, most notibly the e36 bmw m3 and other fast beemers, and some toyotas fast cars also, so it must work better than std single throttlebody, unless they do this for homoglation or after market reasons?

The difference is that a plenum for ITBs is always being supplied with air whereas the air in a plenum for a single TB is controlled by the TB itself.

Back