Puma or Bike to work

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianv5

I have managed to secure a new job starting in a couple of weeks. The job is based only 10 miles from my house which is a bonus with the cost of fuel these days!

The question I have is, is it cheaper to use the Puma to travel the ten miles or would it be cheaper to use my Kawasaki ZX7r? (MPG is very similar).

Also would there be more wear and tear on the Puma due to not enough operating temp. I have heard that short distances don't give the oil time to warm up properly and you can also damage the Catalytic convertor. I think the bike engine warms up quicker than the Pumas.

I think the bike will be the better option as it has a manual choke which I switch off as soon as I ride away (less petrol?) I am not sure how long the choke on the Puma stays on for?

Any thoughts on this matter would be much appreciated :grin:

I use my bike when the weather is decent and the Puma when it's not!!

Personally I get far better MPG from the bike than the puma (it's a 650cc), but this is offset slightly by the fact it needs servicing every 4000 miles (although my commute is considerably longer than yours).

HTH

I'd class a short journey as one that's up to 2 or 3 miles, so I should imagine that the engine will be up to temp after 10 miles.

The only way to test which is cheapest is run each for a week or two, and work it out. A bike will end up cheaper if your 10 mile journey is full of stop/start traffic, but if you've got open roads... who knows if they return similar MPG normally!

Cherie said:
I'd class a short journey as one that's up to 2 or 3 miles, so I should imagine that the engine will be up to temp after 10 miles.

The only way to test which is cheapest is run each for a week or two, and work it out. A bike will end up cheaper if your 10 mile journey is full of stop/start traffic, but if you've got open roads... who knows if they return similar MPG normally!

Good idea, journey is straight down the a14 so barring any accidents is not stop start traffic.

As the mileage on the Puma is 85k and the bike is only 18k, both are pretty much the same age 2001 and 2000 respectively I think I should use the bike for most of the spring/summer and the puma when it is winter time. Getting to old to get cold and wet!

journey is straight down the a14 so barring any accidents is not stop start traffic

:funny:

You've got the relatively easy bit of the A14, you should try getting to Cambridge from the A1 when it f***s up!

Cherie said:
journey is straight down the a14 so barring any accidents is not stop start traffic

:funny:

You've got the relatively easy bit of the A14, you should try getting to Cambridge from the A1 when it f***s up!

I am really lucky journey is from Thraspton to Molesworth so I have the choice of a relatively quiet A14 or the option of a nice twisty road to Molesworth of approximately the same distance :grin:

My ex wife used to travel from Huntingdon to Cambridge it was and still is a nightmare!!!!

Haven't read everyones replies but my answer would be that it's totally dependant on the weather, that and the fact that you can be arsed to put on your leathers etc and get the bike out which is more of a chore than simply jumping in the car as you are. Plus points for the bike....faster and no traffic jam problems ;)

Bike if you have the chance or some kind of private parking (like me). I wouldn't even hesitate.

When i used to work at 8h, i needed 30min everyday in traffic for a 5mile journey. Just awfull.

Now i work at 4 in the morning so i have no traffic issues. :p Still some traffic lights but...

Back