rear drum brakes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfie74

when ever i reverse my puma to get out of a parking space or coming to a slow stop, i get what sounds like a grinding noise from the rear brakes, is this normal

No..is simple answer, any grinding noise from anywhere on a car is never "normal" may just be salt/dirt/crap but off with drums and have a look, leave it to long or its anything more serious and you risk destroying drums.(not to mention brake failure)
If brakes appear clean and ok then its on to the bearings next

it sounds like its come from the rear, but can only hear it either reversing or coming to a slow stop

Hi.
I have had this on other cars. Check for rust on the drums rubbing on the back plate. Rust expands and can make contact. Just file or chip it off if that is the case.

Regards.

Have you tried gently applying the handbrake whilst moving slowly with the noise present and seeing if the noise changes ?
That might give you a clue. And I agree that if you have a grinding noise that you think may be brake related, the best time to sort it is before your brakes fail!

I do know that tolerances on the front pad backing plate size are wide enough for you to get a "clunk" when you brake in reverse!

passed mot with the scrapping noise from rear drums, seems to be worse when not used over night or all day? the mot station is also really strict

No advisory on the brake noise? if not then I guess the brakes themselves were deemed ok, ie passed the brake test, however surprised if no mention at all was made.
Check the back plates in case one is buckled and rubbing, as mentioned above, even if the brakes are good I would be investigating the source of the noise sooner rather than later.

Similar problems I have had, thought it was the bear, but same symptoms persisted, exactly like you describe.

Looked at the other side and just one of the shoes is showing bear metal, the other had at least a few millimetres of "meat" left on them.

I have recently had weak handbrake problems and the cables were replaced, so I believe one side was getting worn more than the other side (both wheel and shoe wise).

Ordering new shoes now.

Check your handbrake cable too.

had my whole handbrake cable replaced a few months back, my rear brakes only make a noise when i first start driving and then it seems to stop when they heat up

Exactly the same here, and if you had a handbrake problem recently...worth checking the pads. Do you have a torque wrench? Simple to jack it up and have a look, 235 Nm is the large nut setting (double check though), but get some brake cleaner incase you get grease on the brakes! Good luck! :thumbs:

my rear brakes are drums and never replaced drum brakes before only front disks and pads

I have had to do the work myself today, I replaced the shoes, self-adjusters, a bearing, spring fit kit and refurbed the drums.

With the drums I used a hard wire brush and brake cleaner (whilst bunging up the central bearing hole) on the outside, the back plate on the axle had the same treatment.

Used an electric drill with a grindstone in in the go around the lips of the drum and back plate, avoiding the actual shoe contact area, then painted the drum and back plate. Obviously covering up the salve cylinder, abs sensor, axle stub, handbrake cable carrier and on the drum the bolts with masking tape, and avoided the inside completely. I used hammerite direct to rust paint (dark green so matches very nicely).

After having to disassemble the lot to manually rotate the adjusters and fixng up the handbrake function, I can tell you all the noises have gone and it is braking better!

Back