Rear Suspension - Strut and Spring Assembly

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigsby

I've refitted one side of my Rear Strut (and Spring Assembly) into the bodywork, through the top rubber, aligned the tab up with the key hole in the bodywork and have done the top nut up (holding the push-rod to stop it from spinning) until the nut is tight and noticed there is still a fair few mm of vertical movement - that is, I can move the strut/spring assembly up and down in the bodywork, even with the top nut tight. I have checked the other side, which I haven't taken off yet, and that appears to have a similar amount of movement! I was expecting this to be a tight fit without any movement, is it normal for there to be play?

I remedied it by cutting some 8mm thick rubber sheet into rings and putting that between the body and top mount to remove the play.

Okay, thanks guys, at least I now know I've not got a problem with the suspension. Not that I really understand why you would want there to be play there at all, let alone have it designed into it. Could that not lead to the rear suspension "knocking"?

I noticed this on my puma many years ago,i thought wtf!
But no problems to report so nothing to worry about.
The only knocking noise iv'e ever had was when going over bumps etc because the bushes at worn on the subframe.

I've looked at other pumas and they all have this gap, so nothing to worry about. Next to your at the breakers yard have a look.

Back